Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Bell Injury May Lead to Emergence of Freshman WR Chris Black

We paid them man to put the best guys in the nation he could get into crimson and white and on the field in a position to succeed. He's doing the job we hired him to do and I'm not going to question it now.

2. Advertisement
    Suspended
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

So we all pretty much agree.

If Black has 1st/2nd round talent there is a good chance he would stay 3 years shirt or no shirt year due to the draft rules ruling a redshirt as one of the 3 years.
    If he does not prove a top draft choice after 3 years in our system, then with the way coach Saban recruits, a lost year would not be that bad.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

The only lost years are when you have a guy like Mike McCoy who played 3-4 snaps in the first game of 2006 and never saw the field again. This isn't a waste, the circumstances of the WR depth chart have changed. They were playing it safe with him because there was depth at the position but that depth isn't there anymore. If he's getting his RS "burned" to play in championship games, that isn't a lost year even if he doesn't have a single target when on the field.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Bell Injury May Lead to Emergence of Freshman WR Chris Black

Just to get our expectations in check. Black is more Marquis Maze than Kenny Bell or DeAndrew White. He can stretch the field.

What I worry about is his wind. Practice is great, but we can't expect him to come into a game of this magnitude and dominate it. Remember, the last game he played in was a high school game, and now he's in (for all intents & purposes) a playoff game for the National Championship.

So if he can give us anything of significance (even if it's one explosive play early on to loosen up the defense), he will help us tremendously
    "I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships. Conference championships and national championships. I love it here because that's just not what I want, but what this fanbase expects."
    --Alabama Head Football Coach, Nick Saban

“Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on it’s ability to climb a tree, it will spend it’s whole life believing it is stupid.” — Albert Einstein

BamaNation All-SEC

It is hard to even get to the SEC Championship game. It is about to become even harder to get to the BCS game (though, oddly, it may become easier for good teams to win). The point is that if you can get there, you have to do everything you reasonably can to win.

I do feel for the kid if his first college down is in the SEC Championship game. You can tell me all you want about practice and preparation, it is just not the same as a game. Much less a championship game.
    Roll Tide

BamaNation Hall of Fame cbi1972's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

If he can do ANYTHING that the Georgia film-watchers wouldn't have seen on tape, then that's something that can surprise their defense, and it only takes one play to break open a game. I look forward to seeing the results.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere
    "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet, I've no right buying tobacco. " - Grandpa Joe

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by WMack4Bama View Post
    Just to get our expectations in check. Black is more Marquis Maze than Kenny Bell or DeAndrew White. He can stretch the field.

What I worry about is his wind. Practice is great, but we can't expect him to come into a game of this magnitude and dominate it. Remember, the last game he played in was a high school game, and now he's in (for all intents & purposes) a playoff game for the National Championship.

So if he can give us anything of significance (even if it's one explosive play early on to loosen up the defense), he will help us tremendously
    If he is similar to Marquize Maize, then Saban might put him back returning punts. I used to love watching Maze return punts :-). And we all know that returning a punt for a TD can change the momentum pretty quick.

BamaNation All-SEC Snuffy Smith's Avatar

Bell Injury May Lead to Emergence of Freshman WR Chris Black

Apparently this has moved from might to a definite.

@tommydeas
    Saban on Kenny Bell: 'This is the third guy on that position that we've lost' but says Chris Black has been medically cleared, will get reps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation First Team marcusroby's Avatar

He is like Maze in how he gets in and out of routes. He has great quickness. He was said to have better hands than Cooper. I think Mike Williams will be used more as a blocker than receiver in this one. Maybe Cooper in the slot more.

Suspended
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

O.k that's established most likely.

We all know that he's good, but what he's being asked to do is a huge challenge. A true freshman, 1st game being the SECCG and possible the BCSCG.

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Williams got to campus as a WR. Then, Jarrick Williams got injured and Dixon left campus. With those two departures in the secondary, Eddie had to switch to DB. I think it was too late in camp for him to pick up enough information to get playing time.
    Very true. Also I'm not sure I agree with the original post that if you don't play in your true freshman year that something is wrong with you. Saban speaks all the time about players have different levels of maturity. Honestly if we didn't hear a word out of Williams and then he turned into a star for 2 more that's a very great career.

Quote Originally Posted by WMack4Bama View Post

This is exactly what I expect if we play him. I think we go to him deep right away to demonstrate his speed to the UGA staff. They're not going to believe it or take it into consideration until they see it. Remembering what he looked like before he got hurt, it's going to raise some eyebrows...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

We try a pop play off the play action AT LEAST once a game to Bell or White...Black is probably going to fill that role. The concern is that Bell and White have the experience with McCarron where he can judge their speed well and put the ball in the basket. Also, they probably realize where McCarron wants to put it too. Experience with a pass-catch combo is more than just knowing how they see option route things...it is an almost mental link on things like how they'll run a known route...
    Last edited by rgw; November 26th, 2012 at 02:53 PM.