Bell Injury May Lead to Emergence of Freshman WR Chris Black

Bamafan P.T.

All-SEC
Oct 15, 2005
Tuscaloosa
Fans worry about "blowing" a redshirt year, but I would wager that Mr. Black is stoked to see this redshirt burned.
A chance to make your first appearance in the SEC championship and possibly play in a national championship game? Knowing going in that the coaches obviously have big plans for you I they choose to play you. Yeah I'll take that if I'm a true freshman.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Chris Black is good enough and healthy enough to play now.
We need him now.
Chris wants to play now.
We need him now.
Chris will likely go pro after his Jr. Year.
We need him now...
Use him while we have him.
Cause...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Chris Black is good enough and healthy enough to play now.
We need him now.
Chris wants to play now.
We need him now.
Chris will likely go pro after his Jr. Year.
We need him now...
Use him while we have him.
Cause...
So you're saying "don't play him cause we don't need him?" :wink:

RammerJammer91

1st Team
Nov 27, 2012
Was listening to the "Opening Drive" this morning, and Cecil Hurt said it's very likely that Black will play on Saturday. As far as the redshirt worries, he made a great point that "the only real impact it will have is in 2016. If he can contribute to win a National Championship, you have to do it (play him)."

Here is the Cecil Hurt Interview (skip to about the 3 minute mark): http://images.radcity.net/5018/5126778.mp3

Also, Tom Luginbill joined "The Roundtable" yesterday and he gave a fantastic overview of Black, going so far as to say he was "the most explosive wide receiver in the 2012 class." You can hear that interview here (skip to about the 7:20 mark): http://images.radcity.net/5018/5126319.mp3

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
Was listening to the "Opening Drive" this morning, and Cecil Hurt said it's very likely that Black will play on Saturday. As far as the redshirt worries, he made a great point that "the only real impact it will have is in 2016. If he can contribute to win a National Championship, you have to do it (play him)."

Here is the Cecil Hurt Interview (skip to about the 3 minute mark): http://images.radcity.net/5018/5126778.mp3

Also, Tom Luginbill joined "The Roundtable" yesterday and he gave a fantastic overview of Black, going so far as to say he was "the most explosive wide receiver in the 2012 class." You can hear that interview here (skip to about the 7:20 mark): http://images.radcity.net/5018/5126319.mp3

Great First Post.
Cecil is very careful about what he says, I'm pretty sure he got a secret signal on this.

buzzincuzzin

All-American
Jan 8, 2006
Can't wait to see him play. This is the same guy that kept Cooper down the depth chart in August and Coop looks as smooth as Lynn Swan to me.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Makes a perfect sell to recruits as well - "We will play you regardless of the circumstances as soon as you are ready."

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
When this topic was initially started I was on the side that really didn't want a redshirt burned late for 2 games in which Black MIGHT contribute. In all honesty no matter how talented he is he has not played a snap in a SEC game much less a game with the magnitude and pressure of the SECCG. Who's to say him an AJ will even be on the same page with each other??

But I've changed my mind. This is the SECCG and BCSNCG we are talking about here. I have a not so good feeling about how we match up with UGA at this point and feel like for us to beat them it will be because we won an offensive shoot-out....

...and to do that we need all the 'bullets' we have to fire. There is no guarantee that Black would be the difference in winning or losing but if he makes 1 or 2 huge catches...maybe a TD that in the end is the difference...Play him Coach....dear God Play the kid. This Golden Age we are experiencing right now won't last forever....No Dynasty does...so we have to do everything we can to take full advantage of the opportunity to lock down as many SEC and National Championships as we can right NOW.

BURN that Redshirt.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Do you start him?

Or

Do you wait to see how we're doing after the first 2 or 3 series and if it's not too good we then insert him to hopefully make a difference esp. if they have 7 or 8 guys near the line of scrimmage trying to stop our running game?

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
This whole conversation becomes mute if we have another receiver go down to injury.
moot not mute. sorry that's a common error and a pet peeve of mine.

Other than that you're right, if someone else rolls an ankle in the SEC game than we'll have to burn his redshirt for just One game, and he'll have not experience then. Might as well get him some reps and see what he can do.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
Didn't Darius Hanks get a medical redshirt one year and only have to sit out the first 2 games of the following season because he played in 2 games before he got hurt? Wonder if that could apply to Chris Black. Have him sit out the first 2 games of next season and still be able to redshirt him this year.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Didn't Darius Hanks get a medical redshirt one year and only have to sit out the first 2 games of the following season because he played in 2 games before he got hurt? Wonder if that could apply to Chris Black. Have him sit out the first 2 games of next season and still be able to redshirt him this year.
Ya know that does intrigue me as well. But it wouldn't be the following season, IIRC it would be for his Senior year only he would have to sit those two games out. For Hanks I think it happened the very next season only because he was a Senior.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.