Bell Injury May Lead to Emergence of Freshman WR Chris Black

jenk56

1st Team
Sep 5, 2012
Looking at commits for 2013, where is the top end receiver? If we keep that RS on Black then there is no pressure to persue anyone (I know Robert Foster is hot).

For all the speed junkies Ch Jones and Cy Jones are plenty fast enough to get behind defenders.

I don't agree with burning a RS for two games for a guy as talented as C Black, sorry guys. But CNS knows best.

hacksaw830

2nd Team
Jan 20, 2007
Looking at commits for 2013, where is the top end receiver? If we keep that RS on Black then there is no pressure to persue anyone (I know Robert Foster is hot).

For all the speed junkies Ch Jones and Cy Jones are plenty fast enough to get behind defenders.

I don't agree with burning a RS for two games for a guy as talented as C Black, sorry guys. But CNS knows best.
I think Saban is the one considering burning the shirt. Not us, your right CNS knows best.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
CNS bringing up the idea in the first place should tell us all we need to know about the possibility of this happening.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

I agree 100% with ya if those two games wasn't playing for the SEC & NC..That's why all these guys come to Bama..For that chance to play for it all..So burning the RS for that chance is worth it..JMHO

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Since Black has been injured up until this point, could he still get a medical redshirt? It would be the same percentage of games as if he got injured in week 2 or week 3.

BAMAfan777

1st Team
Jun 25, 2010
Nope....

A special case involves the eligibility of a player who loses the majority of a season to injury. Popularly known as a medical redshirt, a hardship waiver may be granted an athlete who appears in fewer than 30% of his or her team's competitions (with none coming after the midway point of the season), then suffers a season-ending injury.

12ROLL12TIDE12

1st Team
Aug 30, 2008
Orlando, FL
I agree 100% with ya if those two games wasn't playing for the SEC & NC..That's why all these guys come to Bama..For that chance to play for it all..So burning the RS for that chance is worth it..JMHO
100% agree. You know Black would love the opportunity to compete in those games if he is 100% and can contribute.

lincoln_osiris

1st Team
Feb 11, 2009
If he remains red shirted, does anyone see him staying in school for 4 more years? A total of 5. From what I hear, he is one that may be good enough to be 3 and done. That would only give us 2 more years to watch him play. I say if he is ready to go and contribute...Let's go win some championships!!!

marcusroby

1st Team
Jan 7, 2004
auburn,al usa
This staff has recruited in such a way that traditional red shirting only seems to apply to the Qb and Oline positions. Black before the injury was right with Cooper if not ahead if that is any indication. That is from a member of the S&C staff. He won't be around 3 more years barring another injury. Not to say the others are not talented but he and Cooper are very special.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Hated to see Bell go down, and I wish him a speedy recovery. If Chris can contribute to winning now, then burn the redshirt.
Chris better be very good given that he has not played in an actual down for an entire year and then would trot out for the SECCG. Hard to think about a comparable situation. Gary Rutledge came back for the '75 Orange Bowl but he was a senior, and still not healed.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
If he remains red shirted, does anyone see him staying in school for 4 more years? A total of 5. From what I hear, he is one that may be good enough to be 3 and done. That would only give us 2 more years to watch him play. I say if he is ready to go and contribute...Let's go win some championships!!!
Amari Cooper would be close to a 1st round pick now, after his Freshman year, if he was eligible. So hypothetically if Black is as good as Cooper, he could leave for the 2015 draft instead of the 2016 if he was redshirted. Play 2 more instead of 3 more seasons with a burnt shirt......if he end's up NFL 1st round talent.

Both Cooper and Black would eligible for the same draft if he plays. But if he's that good, like Coop, I would be happy with 2 more years. And the fact that coach Saban is considering playing him as a freshman, at the end of the season speaks volumes about his abilities.

Edit: A redshirt sophomore is eligible for the draft. 3 years out of HS, college or no college.

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Amari Cooper would be close to a 1st round pick now, after his Freshman year, if he was eligible. So hypothetically if Black is as good as Cooper, he could leave for the 2015 draft instead of the 2016 if he was redshirted. Play 2 more instead of 3 more seasons with a burnt shirt......if he end's up NFL 1st round talent.

Both Cooper and Black would eligible for the same draft if he plays. But if he's that good, like Coop, I would be happy with 2 more years. And the fact that coach Saban is considering playing him as a freshman, at the end of the season speaks volumes about his abilities.
I thought redshirts had nothing to do with draft eligibility? You can enter the draft as a redshirt sophomore.

shottistyeti

Scout Team
Dec 10, 2006
A side issue but still on topic: why have we not seen much of Woodson? Is speed the issue, or lack of need (until now)?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.