Bell Injury May Lead to Emergence of Freshman WR Chris Black

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
From his Presser tonight:

From TideSports: Saban on Bell loss: "We may have to revisit whether we redshirt Chris Black."

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I think Saban said Black wasn't cleared for contact yet on his radio show the other night but has been practicing. I have very high thoughts about Black's ability to play the WR position, and thought before the season he could be just as good as Amari Cooper is now.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
I think Saban said Black wasn't cleared for contact yet on his radio show the other night but has been practicing. I have very high thoughts about Black's ability to play the WR position, and thought before the season he could be just as good as Amari Cooper is now.
You are correct, I think it's next year For Black, he is a special talent & Coach will not up him at risk if he is not ready.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I hate having to burn a red shirt for just two games, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

BAMA JAMMA

Scout Team
Oct 28, 2007
Black has been medically cleared for contact per ESPN. Saban still may redshirt him but will wait and see.

Last edited:

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
i called this yesterday, boom.

if he can contribute in the next two games then burn the redshirt, if he doesnt give us anything cyrus and shinn do than keep it on him and go with what we have. If he hadn't gotten hurt they would have been playing him all season anyway, so I have a feeling we'll see him on saturday. He looked really good on A day.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
If he's the difference between winning, or not winning, a national championship... then you play him.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

if he can contribute in the next two games then burn the redshirt, if he doesnt give us anything cyrus and shinn do than keep it on him and go with what we have. If he hadn't gotten hurt they would have been playing him all season anyway, so I have a feeling we'll see him on saturday. He looked really good on A day.
If he's healthy and the report about him being cleared for contact is true I DEFINITELY say "burn the redshirt" because I fully believe he can contribute big time in the passing game. He is solid enough to take the hurt of Kenny Bell away and could put up some very good numbers IMHO. Black was/is the real deal.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

Throwing you a chop as I type.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Burning a redshirt on someone as talented as Black seems to be is probably not a big deal. Chances are good someone like that only plays through his junior class year anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
I hate having to burn a red shirt for just two games, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
If we're really at the point that we would burn a year of eligibility for a super talented kid for a game or two, then we obviously haven't been doing as good a job as we like to think we have in recruiting (or developing talent). We have a ton of WR's, and surely to God a couple of them could step it up when faced with the alternative of causing one of their teammates to burn a year just for 2 games.

RTR251

3rd Team
Dec 4, 2011
Mobile, Al
If we're really at the point that we would burn a year of eligibility for a super talented kid for a game or two, then we obviously haven't been doing as good a job as we like to think we have in recruiting (or developing talent). We have a ton of WR's, and surely to God a couple of them could step it up when faced with the alternative of causing one of their teammates to burn a year just for 2 games.
Saban has done a good job recruiting, remember that we lost 3 seniors and had 3 current receivers (including Black) season end due to injuries.

Last edited:

deuce_deuce

3rd Team
Dec 14, 2011
Hoover, AL
Burning a redshirt on someone as talented as Black seems to be is probably not a big deal. Chances are good someone like that only plays through his junior class year anyway.

Burning a redshirt is not that big of a deal at a program like Alabama. Most players who are ready for the NFL only need 3 years. Even after this year he has 3 full years left in the program. Don't think of it as he is the difference of winning or losing. I will think of it more like, does he bring something to the table that no one or only 1 other wr does. if that is the case then you play him b/c he might be the difference of only 1 or 2 first downs in a game or a blocked punt. but those few plays "could" make a big difference. Coaches never worry about players who burned a redshirt unless they were borderline to be drafted after 4 years anyway. how many redshirt seniors have we had on Saban's teams?

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
It's all Coach Sabans call but I would guess he has a real strong practice week with Norwood, both Jones, Vogler, Williams. We all know what Cooper cn do but just like the NCG LY I see Norwood really coming thru.

What ever is decided Coach will do the Right Thing.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.