Bell Injury May Lead to Emergence of Freshman WR Chris Black

brutetough

1st Team
Dec 11, 2010
I'm not saying Black is another Julio, but would we burn a red shirt if it were Julio in this situation?
If we're really at the point that we would burn a year of eligibility for a super talented kid for a game or two, then we obviously haven't been doing as good a job as we like to think we have in recruiting (or developing talent). We have a ton of WR's, and surely to God a couple of them could step it up when faced with the alternative of causing one of their teammates to burn a year just for 2 games.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
If he's healthy and the report about him being cleared for contact is true I DEFINITELY say "burn the redshirt" because I fully believe he can contribute big time in the passing game. He is solid enough to take the hurt of Kenny Bell away and could put up some very good numbers IMHO. Black was/is the real deal.
If he's really ready for game time, game day combat/contact and he wants to play in the SEC CG, and if we win doing the same in the BCS NCG, then let's do it. We may not get this chance again for at least a year. The loss of Bell was a BIG loss, just like #1 and #45.

How does he #5, Black, compare to #22 Christian Jones and #80 Shinn? And how about #81 Woodson who's father played QB at Bama? Can anyone on the roster replace Bell without taking the red-shirt off of Chris Black?

marcusroby

1st Team
Jan 7, 2004
auburn,al usa
I had that feeling earlier. Black is likely a 3great and done player barring injury. If he can be as productive as once thought the redshirt means nothing.

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006
If we're really at the point that we would burn a year of eligibility for a super talented kid for a game or two, then we obviously haven't been doing as good a job as we like to think we have in recruiting (or developing talent). We have a ton of WR's, and surely to God a couple of them could step it up when faced with the alternative of causing one of their teammates to burn a year just for 2 games.
If I have counted correctly, we only have five healthy scholarship wr's. That is not a ton.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Saban has done a good job recruiting, remember that we lost 3 seniors and had 3 current receivers (including Black) season end due to injuries.
Exactly. Black's redshirt would have been long gone anyway if he hadn't got hurt. We have lost our leading reciever (at the time), and now our leading yards per catch receiver. We lost two of our fastest receivers, and as good as some of the others are, you can't teach or coach pure speed.

skipster63

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2010
Buchanan Dam
If Black is taking some hits come monday....then that may be an indicator. If no contact in next few days, i do not see him playing. So we will watch for practice notes.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
on the contrary, i think that the fact that we control our own destiny going into the SECCG, and are favored after losing as many contributing players to injury is a testament to our recruiting and player development.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
If he's really ready for game time, game day combat/contact and he wants to play in the SEC CG, and if we win doing the same in the BCS NCG, then let's do it. We may not get this chance again for at least a year. The loss of Bell was a BIG loss, just like #1 and #45.

How does he #5, Black, compare to #22 Christian Jones and #80 Shinn? And how about #81 Woodson who's father played QB at Bama? Can anyone on the roster replace Bell without taking the red-shirt off of Chris Black?
Imagine a defense having to cover 2 Coopers. Black is a burner with hands. His loss was a big blow to the WR corps and the coaches were drooling over the prospects of those two running deep.

CapeHorn

Scout Team
Aug 22, 2012
play him if he's cleared for contact and can make a difference. if he's as good as advertised he won't be here for 5 years anyway.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
seems as though some of you dont know the type of WR Black is. he's not what i would call a burner. he's one of those guys who runs great routes, knows how to position himself to make catches, knows how to bait and fake defenders. just a natural WR. All of those things are what make him really good. I think the only way we burn the shirt is if another WR goes down.

hacksaw830

2nd Team
Jan 20, 2007
Im not trying to be a smart butt......but have you seen this kid play? Im not claiming to be an insider or recruiting expert or anything but I did play the game and I have coached for about 16 years. I rarely post but I have attended a few practices and this kid (to me) is better than Cooper, when he is on the field he really stands out, now there are players that look awesome in practice and fade when the lights come on and then there are players that are average in practice and are beast when the lights are on (see Shaun Alexander) but the kids we have are really good this guy (if healthy) will be a star, I think he is the real deal but the biggest concern for the team is depth. If hes healthy I think he plays, the kid is legit and hell be gone in two more years anyway.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Really?
It was hoped that Duron Carter could play this season, and he reportedly was clearly the top receiver when he practiced.
Chris Black was expected to have a shot at starting this year as a true freshman, but a preseason injury has kept him out thus far.
Deandre White was lost for the year earlier.
Kenny Bell might not be able to play again this year.

I'm not really sure what you want, or how many scholarships you expect a team to have, but if you have four guys on the field practicing and all look good enough to start... and not one of them was available in the latter portion of the Auburn game, you do not blame that on recruiting. The fact that Alabama has enough guys to get by speaks to how good recruiting has been thus far.

Alabama has had a ton of players leave early, if Black is such a huge talent that you can't afford to burn his redshirt, then he's such a talent that you can because he's going to leave early anyway. Redshirts do not affect eligibility, so it's three years even if you redshirt.

BAMA JAMMA

Scout Team
Oct 28, 2007
Oh the irony given your screen name :)

In all seriousness we have been injury bug prone this year. Black was highly touted only two spots nationally below where Amari Cooper was. If Saban feels we need Black then I have no problems with it. He gets paid the big bucks to make those decisions. We recruit strong year in and out in the top 5. We will be fine.

losing Bell was huge. I wish him a speedy recovery.

brutetough

1st Team
Dec 11, 2010
totally agree.
Really?
It was hoped that Duron Carter could play this season, and he reportedly was clearly the top receiver when he practiced.
Chris Black was expected to have a shot at starting this year as a true freshman, but a preseason injury has kept him out thus far.
Deandre White was lost for the year earlier.
Kenny Bell might not be able to play again this year.

I'm not really sure what you want, or how many scholarships you expect a team to have, but if you have four guys on the field practicing and all look good enough to start... and not one of them was available in the latter portion of the Auburn game, you do not blame that on recruiting. The fact that Alabama has enough guys to get by speaks to how good recruiting has been thus far.

Alabama has had a ton of players leave early, if Black is such a huge talent that you can't afford to burn his redshirt, then he's such a talent that you can because he's going to leave early anyway. Redshirts do not affect eligibility, so it's three years even if you redshirt.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.