Bell Injury May Lead to Emergence of Freshman WR Chris Black

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Just to get our expectations in check. Black is more Marquis Maze than Kenny Bell or DeAndrew White. He can stretch the field.

What I worry about is his wind. Practice is great, but we can't expect him to come into a game of this magnitude and dominate it. Remember, the last game he played in was a high school game, and now he's in (for all intents & purposes) a playoff game for the National Championship.

So if he can give us anything of significance (even if it's one explosive play early on to loosen up the defense), he will help us tremendously

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
It is hard to even get to the SEC Championship game. It is about to become even harder to get to the BCS game (though, oddly, it may become easier for good teams to win). The point is that if you can get there, you have to do everything you reasonably can to win.

I do feel for the kid if his first college down is in the SEC Championship game. You can tell me all you want about practice and preparation, it is just not the same as a game. Much less a championship game.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
If he can do ANYTHING that the Georgia film-watchers wouldn't have seen on tape, then that's something that can surprise their defense, and it only takes one play to break open a game. I look forward to seeing the results.

bamapuppy

1st Team
Mar 28, 2008
Hillsborough, NC
Just to get our expectations in check. Black is more Marquis Maze than Kenny Bell or DeAndrew White. He can stretch the field.

What I worry about is his wind. Practice is great, but we can't expect him to come into a game of this magnitude and dominate it. Remember, the last game he played in was a high school game, and now he's in (for all intents & purposes) a playoff game for the National Championship.

So if he can give us anything of significance (even if it's one explosive play early on to loosen up the defense), he will help us tremendously
If he is similar to Marquize Maize, then Saban might put him back returning punts. I used to love watching Maze return punts :). And we all know that returning a punt for a TD can change the momentum pretty quick.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Apparently this has moved from might to a definite.

@tommydeas
Saban on Kenny Bell: 'This is the third guy on that position that we've lost' but says Chris Black has been medically cleared, will get reps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marcusroby

1st Team
Jan 7, 2004
auburn,al usa
He is like Maze in how he gets in and out of routes. He has great quickness. He was said to have better hands than Cooper. I think Mike Williams will be used more as a blocker than receiver in this one. Maybe Cooper in the slot more.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
O.k that's established most likely.

We all know that he's good, but what he's being asked to do is a huge challenge. A true freshman, 1st game being the SECCG and possible the BCSCG.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
Williams got to campus as a WR. Then, Jarrick Williams got injured and Dixon left campus. With those two departures in the secondary, Eddie had to switch to DB. I think it was too late in camp for him to pick up enough information to get playing time.
Very true. Also I'm not sure I agree with the original post that if you don't play in your true freshman year that something is wrong with you. Saban speaks all the time about players have different levels of maturity. Honestly if we didn't hear a word out of Williams and then he turned into a star for 2 more that's a very great career.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

This is exactly what I expect if we play him. I think we go to him deep right away to demonstrate his speed to the UGA staff. They're not going to believe it or take it into consideration until they see it. Remembering what he looked like before he got hurt, it's going to raise some eyebrows...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
We try a pop play off the play action AT LEAST once a game to Bell or White...Black is probably going to fill that role. The concern is that Bell and White have the experience with McCarron where he can judge their speed well and put the ball in the basket. Also, they probably realize where McCarron wants to put it too. Experience with a pass-catch combo is more than just knowing how they see option route things...it is an almost mental link on things like how they'll run a known route...

Last edited:

TidefaninOS

All-SEC
Feb 14, 2009
Ocean Springs, MS
If he is similar to Marquize Maize, then Saban might put him back returning punts. I used to love watching Maze return punts :). And we all know that returning a punt for a TD can change the momentum pretty quick.
Uhhh....don't think this is gonna happen. We've got some experience at this with the Jones boys - Christian & Cyrus. No sense putting this kind of pressure on him.

BTW - is Chris still #5?

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
We try a pop play off the play action AT LEAST once a game to Bell or White...Black is probably going to fill that role. The concern is that Bell and White have the experience with McCarron where he can judge their speed well and put the ball in the basket. Also, they probably realize where McCarron wants to put it too. Experience with a pass-catch combo is more than just knowing how they see option route things...it is an almost mental link on things like how they'll run a known route...
He has been practicing a while - don't remember how long - but I am sure AJ has been throwing these for a few weeks to him now.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
If he hauls one in, he's got to be ready for the hit/attempted strip from a senior SEC defensive back. Going to be rooting for him and crossing my fingers that he's ready. Catch a TD pass in the SEC Championship game in this situation and you are on your way to being a legend.

Of course, Saban could just be messing with Richt.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
He has been practicing a while - don't remember how long - but I am sure AJ has been throwing these for a few weeks to him now.

He has been. It's not going to be like they've not done it before. Also, AJ has developed pretty good instincts in "feeling" his receivers' speeds. Brodie could throw it a country mile, but he never could land it in there like AJ can. Anyway, the deep ball doesn't have to connect every time - although it's better if it does. As long as that receiver is five yards behind the nearest, DB, the job is done...

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I just saw on ESPN that Kenny will be out 5-6 weeks which could possibly mean he would be back in time for the BCS game if we are fortunate enough to beat GA. I know you can't say Kenny would absolutely be back but do you burn the shirt on the SEC Championship game only based on this possibility?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I just saw on ESPN that Kenny will be out 5-6 weeks which could possibly mean he would be back in time for the BCS game if we are fortunate enough to beat GA. I know you can't say Kenny would absolutely be back but do you burn the shirt on the SEC Championship game only based on this possibility?
The national championship game is 5 weeks from today. Very unlikely he'll be back.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.