Bell Injury May Lead to Emergence of Freshman WR Chris Black

bamaslaw

All-SEC
Jan 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA
If Black can help us win, and in a legitimate, non decoy, way - he's got to play.

Even if its 20 plays in the SECCG. If he can be impactful for those 20, burn baby burn.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Personally, I think this game is the perfect time to try a fake bubble screen. The last time I remember us trying it - 2010 Arkansas - it was an interception but McElroy's relatively weak arm showed up there...throwing it a little short allowing a breaking safety to net the INT when he needed to put it out in front of the WR.

Georgia is a little overaggressive...it show ups in their number of personal foul penalties but also their tendency to jump on things to rally to the ball. Fake the screen to Cooper then reload and throw it over the top to Black who faked the block. I want to see us establish the run in the first series but we need to have some pop plays in the back pocket.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I think we see an early "double-fly" pattern, with their DBs trying to decide which one to try and catch up with... :D
I was just happy to see that "WR Drag" pattern that has worked "ALL Year", yet abandoned in the LSU and TAMU games.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
What do you think Chris Black wants to do? I'll bet he is chomping at the bit to be able to play. I'm sure he has missed not playing so far. What do you think his parents would want him to do? Why did he go to Alabama? To play!

Look at how many games DeAndrew White played in this year before going down. So, playing in two games and if we beat Georgia, the two biggest games that any player could even desire to play in short of the Super Bowl.

I just say it's Coach Saban's and Chris Black's call with possibly input from his parents. I will just sit back and watch the big game on Saturday in the SEC CG and hope we play our BEST game of the year and beat the Dawgs, then I'll start thinking about ND if we get past the Dawgs.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
With all this said, is Coach Saban just trying to get Georgia's coaching staff to worry about being prepared for this possibility? Are they looking at his high school tapes to see what he does or can do since there is nothing to look at from this year?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I doubt they concern themselves much with Chris Black. Hopefully he can make them concern themselves with him on Saturday.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I found it interesting that the timing of Chris Black being cleared for contact almost immediately after Kenny Bell's injury. IF Bell hadn't got hurt... then maybe Chris would've been cleared for contact after the SEC championship game. Something is telling me that we'll see combination of Shinn, Cyrus Jones, Chris Black, Norwood, Cooper in the game... and Someone is having a huge game, I just don't know who. If Chris Black plays, then Look for him to get the ball early in the game, to draw attention away from Cooper and from this point on, Defense will have hard time containing them.

I honestly think Chris will play this weekend, I really do... because something is telling me Coach Nick got few bags up his tricks, and now is the time to use it.... I don't have problem with CNS burning his redshirt. I think we'll see him gone by Jr year or maybe senior.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
With all this said, is Coach Saban just trying to get Georgia's coaching staff to worry about being prepared for this possibility? Are they looking at his high school tapes to see what he does or can do since there is nothing to look at from this year?
is it possible? yes. no. we don't know. I think it's a good call by CNS to get them to start thinking about Chris Black. We know they will pay attention to cooper, norwood, and others.

ohiotide14

1st Team
Jan 3, 2012
Youngstown, OH
personally i think anytime you have to burn a redshirt for a game where your a TD favorite it is a bad bad sign. if we burn the redshirt im going to start to worry because obviously the staff is worried.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
personally i think anytime you have to burn a redshirt for a game where your a TD favorite it is a bad bad sign. if we burn the redshirt im going to start to worry because obviously the staff is worried.
You get your best players on the field in order to win the game. Especially if that W means a trip to the national championship.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Maybe instead of looking at it like CNS is going to "burn the red shirt" why don't we just consider the fact that this guy was going to play before he got hurt this season. His season just got shortened because of any injury.

I just don't understand the wringing of hands over this. If he plays...even if he doesn't catch a pass...it apparently was deemed important by the staff.

And if he's as good as advertised he'll only play for two more years anyway so saving this year won't matter.

kayakerjess

All-American
Sep 9, 2005
Colorado
If I recall, Chris was the #2 rated WR prospect in last year's class, and I know we had some moderators saying that he was the cream of the cream of this year's WR class before he was injured. That right there tells me he is going to be able to contribute, and with Cooper having such a great year, and Norwood coming on so strong over the last few weeks, Chris will likely be able to get open against a nickel back or safety. I hope he has a great game.

I have no concerns about "burning" a red shirt year. It seems the same as the situation in 2009 when we learned that AJ was GMac's real backup and that he would have come into the game if McElroy went down. There is no doubt in my mind that Chris wants to play, and IMO it would be unfair to the rest of the team if a player who could help us win was left on the bench even though he could have played. These guys have been working for 12 months to get this this spot - they deserve to have the best chance to win the game, regardless of what may or may not happen 3 years down the road.

My only concern about Chris is that his shoulder is truly 100%. I would hate for him to be rushed back into the lineup and then re-injure himself.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
I don't see how this is an issue at all. Right now I can think of only 4 5th year seniors we have Williams, Lester, Barret, and Square. To me that tells me it really isn't that big of an issue to burn the redshirt.

Even if it was a big issue this is a huge game with huge implications. If he increases our chances of winning then he absolutely should play and I think it would be a mistake to not play him.

Highway59

1st Team
Jan 29, 2009
In Alabama off "highway59"
This is remarks from Mark Edwards blog after the viewing portion of Mondays Practice. Sounds good to me.:smile:

TUSCALOOSA, Alabama — The Crimson Tide practiced inside its indoor facility today in shorts, shoulder pads and helmets.

We saw true freshman receiver Chris Black in a regular white jersey instead of the black non-contact jersey, which is what injured players are assigned. He looked explosive when running his routes.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I must say I am excited about Mr. Black. He is really going to be hungry and wanting to show what he is capable of. Let's hope we see him on SportsCenter. :) :)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Fans worry about "blowing" a redshirt year, but I would wager that Mr. Black is stoked to see this redshirt burned.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.