Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
Results 105 to 117 of 148
  1. #105

    Re: Pick the score: Alabama vs. Georgia SECCG

    What happened to UGA when they played USCe? Was Murray hurt or something?

  2. Advertisement
  3. #106
    BamaNation Hall of Fame cbi1972's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    15,099
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

    Re: Pick the score: Alabama vs. Georgia SECCG

    Quote Originally Posted by mlh View Post
    What happened to UGA when they played USCe? Was Murray hurt or something?
    Clowney put on a Heisman performance.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere
    "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet, I've no right buying tobacco. " - Grandpa Joe

  4. #107

    Re: Pick the score: Alabama vs. Georgia SECCG

    Quote Originally Posted by cbi1972 View Post
    Clowney put on a Heisman performance.
    That's what concerns me about this game. We don't have a great pass rush. I think Bama wins by 6 -- maybe 23-17.

  5. #108
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 92tide's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga, USA
    Posts
    15,288

    Re: Pick the score: Alabama vs. Georgia SECCG

    Quote Originally Posted by mlh View Post
    That's what concerns me about this game. We don't have a great pass rush. I think Bama wins by 6 -- maybe 23-17.
    we are tied (with LSU and AandM) at 26th in sacks.

    georgia is tied at 60th in sacks
    Hail Mary, Full of Grace, Notre Dame in Second Place, with a made up girlfriend

    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

    -Bertrand Russell

    If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

    ó Thomas Pynchon

  6. #109
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Hopewell, VA
    Posts
    2,602

    Re: Pick the score: Alabama vs. Georgia SECCG

    Quote Originally Posted by CRMSNtide View Post
    Well, we do have the 3rd rated pass defense in the nation, 5th in passing efficiency defense, but somehow we are suspect in coverage?

    Also, Georgia played only two top 25 teams this year, lost one and won one.
    They beat Florida, that's their only claim to fame, who else did they beat?
    Ole Miss and Vandy? Please.

    I think they're in for a rude awakening, we have an all around good team and the best coach in the nation.

    And im not questioning your loyally, i guess you just reminded me of some of the guys on talk radio lately that have been building up Georgia as a more talented, better team than Alabama, im just not seeing it.
    like i said before, we've dogded a lot of bullets in the passing game this year, where receivers have been wide open and were either missed by the qb or they dropped the ball...but they were wide open...which means that our coverage wasn't good enough and which also means that a better passing attack would likely have been successful in those wide-open situations. case in point (and i'm not saying this would have affected the outcome of the game at all but it's the most recent glaring example) but the int in the auburn game where the tight end tipped the ball and it was intercepted...the tight end was wide open for about a 20+ gain...if the ball had been thrown well. if we let guys get that wide open against GA, and we don't get pressure on murray, he'll eat us alive on those plays. i'm not saying our pass defense is terrible, but it's rating has been inflated somewhat by the fact that we've allowed guys to be wide open consistently through the season but the other side has not been able to capitalize on it. if we don't get pressure on murray, he will have open receivers and more than likely he'll get the ball to them.

  7. #110

    Re: Pick the score: Alabama vs. Georgia SECCG

    Quote Originally Posted by davefrat View Post
    like i said before, we've dogded a lot of bullets in the passing game this year, where receivers have been wide open and were either missed by the qb or they dropped the ball...but they were wide open...which means that our coverage wasn't good enough and which also means that a better passing attack would likely have been successful in those wide-open situations. case in point (and i'm not saying this would have affected the outcome of the game at all but it's the most recent glaring example) but the int in the auburn game where the tight end tipped the ball and it was intercepted...the tight end was wide open for about a 20+ gain...if the ball had been thrown well. if we let guys get that wide open against GA, and we don't get pressure on murray, he'll eat us alive on those plays. i'm not saying our pass defense is terrible, but it's rating has been inflated somewhat by the fact that we've allowed guys to be wide open consistently through the season but the other side has not been able to capitalize on it. if we don't get pressure on murray, he will have open receivers and more than likely he'll get the ball to them.
    No doubt what you say is true in that we've let guys run open on us in our secondary.

    But, go back and watch some of the times we've had open guys running around in our opponents secondary and AJ missed them.

    So while it is true there will be open guys against any defense, even good ones, the game is happening pretty fast and just a little pressure will keep those wide open guys hidden from the qb sight very often.

    Our pass defense is still pretty good even if it's not last year's.

  8. #111
    BamaNation Hall of Fame cbi1972's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    15,099
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

    Re: Pick the score: Alabama vs. Georgia SECCG

    If we have been "dodging a lot of bullets" it is because it is really hard to aim well when you are worrying about all the things a Saban defense makes you worry about. Where's the pressure coming from this time? What coverage are they in? Is my receiver really open or am I being baited? Every quarterback misses wide open receivers. It happens the most when there is pressure. LSU fared the best, and they did it by using a max protect scheme, and Mettenberger threw perfect passes into good coverage. There's nothing to be done about perfect throws.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere
    "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet, I've no right buying tobacco. " - Grandpa Joe

  9. #112
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    cullman, al, usa
    Posts
    2,915

    Re: Pick the score: Alabama vs. Georgia SECCG

    Bama 24
    Georgia 20

  10. #113
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 92tide's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga, USA
    Posts
    15,288

    Re: Pick the score: Alabama vs. Georgia SECCG

    Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    No doubt what you say is true in that we've let guys run open on us in our secondary.

    But, go back and watch some of the times we've had open guys running around in our opponents secondary and AJ missed them.

    So while it is true there will be open guys against any defense, even good ones, the game is happening pretty fast and just a little pressure will keep those wide open guys hidden from the qb sight very often.

    Our pass defense is still pretty good even if it's not last year's.
    agreed, we are still a really good defense. i might even say we are the best total defense in the country

    i remember many times last year where opponents receivers dropped wide open passes (or there were errant throws to open receivers). in fact, i bet if you go back and read last year's game threads, you will see plenty of hand wringing about dodged bullets
    Hail Mary, Full of Grace, Notre Dame in Second Place, with a made up girlfriend

    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

    -Bertrand Russell

    If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

    ó Thomas Pynchon

  11. #114
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 92tide's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga, USA
    Posts
    15,288

    Re: Pick the score: Alabama vs. Georgia SECCG

    Quote Originally Posted by cbi1972 View Post
    When was there ever a big game without a bunch of hand wringing?
    there was hand wringing going into tennessee, ole miss, missouri, and yes, even auburn this year
    Hail Mary, Full of Grace, Notre Dame in Second Place, with a made up girlfriend

    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

    -Bertrand Russell

    If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

    ó Thomas Pynchon

  12. #115

    Re: Pick the score: Alabama vs. Georgia SECCG

    Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    agreed, we are still a really good defense. i might even say we are the best total defense in the country

    i remember many times last year where opponents receivers dropped wide open passes (or there were errant throws to open receivers). in fact, i bet if you go back and read last year's game threads, you will see plenty of hand wringing about dodged bullets
    The offense always has an inherent advantage over the defense because an offense knows what is happening and the defense has to either react to what they do OR guess what they're going to do. At any rate, it is rare to have 3 or 4 receivers running a route and none of them be open at some time during the play.

  13. #116
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 92tide's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga, USA
    Posts
    15,288

    Re: Pick the score: Alabama vs. Georgia SECCG

    Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    The offense always has an inherent advantage over the defense because an offense knows what is happening and the defense has to either react to what they do OR guess what they're going to do. At any rate, it is rare to have 3 or 4 receivers running a route and none of them be open at some time during the play.
    saban's defense usually leaves something open. thing is, its really hard to take advantage of that hole in the defense.
    Hail Mary, Full of Grace, Notre Dame in Second Place, with a made up girlfriend

    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

    -Bertrand Russell

    If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

    ó Thomas Pynchon

  14. #117
    BamaNation First Team Im_on_dsp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Canton, GA
    Posts
    573

    Re: Pick the score: Alabama vs. Georgia SECCG

    Wide open receivers are a dime a dozen. Someone is usually open on every single pass play. It's just that the quarterback doesn't always have time to find them. The reason our defense is so hard to pass on is because we do a great job of disguising coverages and baiting throws. Mettenberger just made all the right decisions and made some really great throws, the kind that barely fly over the extended defender's hands and then drop right into the receiver's. I don't recall an exorbitant number of passes completed to wide open receivers although there were some. Against Johnny Football he just kept the play's alive so long with his feet that our DB's didn't have a chance. Murray is no Johnny Football. If we get him on the run there will be some picks.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
'Gear UP! Get your University of Alabama Crimson Tide National Championship & Football Dynasty Gear!