Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I like and respect Kirby Smart and believe he has a great future ahead of him as a HC. I hope if he interviews for the opening at au it is for the experience and practice. If however he should be offered the job and accepts he immediately becomes the enemy like Bill Oliver and Pat Dye. I normally have a high tolerance level, but not when it comes to that place in Lee County.

Bruce014

1st Team
Aug 29, 2012
Alabama
He has experience at Georgia, Fla State, Valdosta State, the Miami Dolphins, and Alabama.
That's quite a resume.

I'm disappointed (mad?) that he might go over there, but I'd bet good money that Saban has a contingency plan in place for every one of his assistants, should they decide to take another job.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Marshall is the only guy reporting this stuff. I know he's connected but usually somebody at Yahoo Sports or ESPN catches wind and runs with it at this point if things are actually materializing.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I like what one Finebaum caller said, if he went over there with real intentions of accepting an offer...he should have packed his bag and tell them he's ready to work.

Obviously, I'm a little more levelheaded...I think we should at least let him come back and get his stuff. :p

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
I like and respect Kirby Smart and believe he has a great future ahead of him as a HC. I hope if he interviews for the opening at au it is for the experience and practice. If however he should be offered the job and accepts he immediately becomes the enemy like Bill Oliver and Pat Dye. I normally have a high tolerance level, but not when it comes to that place in Lee County.
I'll throw in Wayne Hall with that bunch.

lafella

Hall of Fame
Nov 27, 2006
Baldwin County, AL.
All I can say is if Kirby goes I hope Coach Saban tells him what Coach Bryant told Dye when he went. I'm really hoping he just goes over there and say SYKE!!

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
Anyone know the credibility of RantSports.com? I'm pretty sure its another Bleacher Report but, they seem to think Kirby's going to AU. I'd be shocked and bit angry, by bit I mean a lot.

Edit: sounds like Marshall is saying the story isn't true, no offer made.

Last edited:

64met

All-American
Oct 12, 2007
Why in the world would Kirby take the boog job? I am all for him being a HC one day… BUT the Barn?

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
On the practical side of things, to any coach at any school anywhere, a coaching offer at another school is a job offer. Nothing more, nothing less. To coaches, "school loyalty" is non-existent. Or at least, it's irrelevant.

However I'm with everyone else here. I could support CKS if he took a job at any other school EXCEPT the barn.
IMO, it would be awfully DUMB for any Bama coach to take a job at the barn. That's especially true for a coach who's suppose to be "SMART".
:rolleyes:

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL
I'm trying not to worry until there is reason to do so, but it's proving difficult. I started thinking about who he might take with him. He appears to be very close to Cochran. Yes , that just makes me sick. Not to mention recruits. Would he then try to sway them as well? He knows the inner workings of Saban, so he'd take every bit of that with him to our bitter rival. He would mimic our program in every way except with youth and energy and the great connection with the players. Look at any big play the players go celebrate with Kirby not Saban.

This really is just too much and I hope not true. I understand the business part of things, but I still don't get how Kirby could do it and how Saban could endorse it. Anywhere but auburn!!!

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia
from the T News this morning . . .

TUSCALOOSA | University of Alabama defensive coordinator Kirby Smart has interviewed for the head coaching position at Auburn, but the Crimson Tide's sixth-year assistant coach may not be a primary candidate for the Tigers, sources close to the situation confirmed to The Tuscaloosa News Monday night.

http://alabama.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1444792

This scenario is a reminder that we are fans, coaches are businessmen, and schools are corporations . . . and for the most part the only loyalty among the three is with the fans . . . and I said most part, because there are some coaches loyal to an institution and its fan base.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Why in the world would Kirby take the boog job? I am all for him being a HC one day… BUT the Barn?

I agree, I just can't support him over there. If he took the TN or Arkansas job I would support him except for playing us. I just can't root for Auburn...EVER.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Just got a msg from someone who usually is spot on with AU saying Kirby has been hired. I hope to GOD IT ain't true. If it is, Nick needs to tell him to get the .... out and stay out. It is Nick's D and we don't need a traitor in town.

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
I understand why Smart would want to take a upper tier SEC head coaching job.

What sucks is -

No DC for the most important game of the year. Saban won't allow him to to coach, obviously.

Recruiting

Losing staff. God help us if we lose Cochran.

This would be the biggest blow to Bama football under Saban.

bamaee04

All-SEC
Nov 15, 2004
Birmingham, AL
I think it is only a foregone conclusion that we will lose Kirby sooner rather than later to a HC gig, but I just hope and pray it isn't Auburn. I can understand interviewing for the experience or even to pick up some intel from what's happening over there, but I just can't see him doing it. I hope that the Barn is just dragging this out and trying to create controversy to distract us from the task at hand, and that is bringing #15 home...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.