2012 Coaching Carousel Catch All Thread

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Just got a msg from someone who usually is spot on with AU saying Kirby has been hired. I hope to GOD IT ain't true. If it is, Nick needs to tell him to get the .... out and stay out. It is Nick's D and we don't need a traitor in town.
Unless he is in the bowels of Auburn - heaven forbid - he's probably just quoting fan rant or some other gibberish website.

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL
I understand why Smart would want to take a upper tier SEC head coaching job.

What sucks is -

No DC for the most important game of the year. Saban won't allow him to to coach, obviously.

Recruiting

Losing staff. God help us if we lose Cochran.

This would be the biggest blow to Bama football under Saban.
I feel sick!!!

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
I think the boogs want Malzahn. When he was at the Barn he was the defacto head coach. Many fans give him more credit for the National Championship.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Posted this in the Smart thread:

Notre Dame's DC Bob Diaco has interviewed for the Boston College vacancy and he is one of the early favorite for the position. He is a good fit for them and I expect they will pull the trigger before the end of this week.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I believe it when I see him at the podium. These guys know a lot about the inner workings of other programs. Consider this for a moment, now why would you consider an offer from Auburn and decline to interview with UT? The programs are worlds apart right now. UT has no pending NCAA trouble, a decent nucleus of good players, and an AD he is familiar with and you dont have to compete instate on recruiting with every player. While UT is a bitter rival it has a history (although not lately) of being a gentleman's rivalry (if there is such a thing) whereas the Auburn rivalry is more a constant quest to destroy the cockroaches. Just as someone mentioned earlier, if he takes the job at Auburn he is no longer a candidate in the future to come back and be a head coach at Bama.

There is no comparison between the two. That's why I think he ultimately stays with us. Personally I think he ought to be considered for the Arkansas job.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I don't think Tennessee really wants to take another Saban disciple after Dooley and Sunseri blew up in their face.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011

What sucks is -

No DC for the most important game of the year. Saban won't allow him to to coach, obviously.

Recruiting

This is the main reason Auburn wants him.....As always their goal is to hurt Bama.
However....Bama will roll on.

IBUY

1st Team
Jan 9, 2007
I believe it when I see him at the podium. These guys know a lot about the inner workings of other programs. Consider this for a moment, now why would you consider an offer from Auburn and decline to interview with UT? The programs are worlds apart right now. UT has no pending NCAA trouble, a decent nucleus of good players, and an AD he is familiar with and you dont have to compete instate on recruiting with every player. While UT is a bitter rival it has a history (although not lately) of being a gentleman's rivalry (if there is such a thing) whereas the Auburn rivalry is more a constant quest to destroy the cockroaches. Just as someone mentioned earlier, if he takes the job at Auburn he is no longer a candidate in the future to come back and be a head coach at Bama.

There is no comparison between the two. That's why I think he ultimately stays with us. Personally I think he ought to be considered for the Arkansas job.
Good post. I agree and more jobs will also be on the horizon next year. Heck, even Pinkel is on the hot seat at Mizzou. On their boards very few *u fans seem very excited at the prospect of KS being their head coach.

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia
I don't think Tennessee really wants to take another Saban disciple after Dooley and Sunseri blew up in their face.
How long was Sunseri on Saban's staff? Didn't think it was long enough to reach disciple status.

Besides, I don't think that's a reason to preclude anyone. I wouldn't diss John because of Judas!

RollTide2U

All-American
Oct 30, 2010
St. Florian, Alabama
I'll believe it when I see it. What does Auburn like to do better than anything? Ruin Bama's parade. Hence all this crap coming out now. Anything is possible, but let's be like Nate Silver and deal in probabilities. What is the probability of Kirby Smart wanting to go to a cesspool where the NCAA has their own marked parking space, Pat Dye runs the show, he'd have to clean out the thuggery there and almost completely start over, he has to deal with that cult down there, and be in the shadow of his mentor constantly? Why would he want that unnecessary headache? I don't see it happening.

mikeua69

All-American
Apr 16, 2002
Alabaster, AL
This is from our favorite homer Phillip Marshall

As of early this morning, neither Arkansas State head coach Gus Malzahn nor Alabama defensive coordinator Kirby Smart had an offer from Auburn or had been involved in negotiations with Auburn. That could change over the course of the day.

* Both Malzahn, Auburn's offensive coordinator from 2009-2011, and Smart interviewed with the search committee in the past two days.

* There are also indications, though no confirmation, that another coach or coaches could still be in the mix as the search enters its ninth day.

* Though it is subject to change, plans are still to introduce Auburn's new head coach Wednesday.

TidefaninOS

All-SEC
Feb 14, 2009
Ocean Springs, MS

What sucks is -

Recruiting

Do you know this for a fact? I know that if the Barn hired him, they would want him on-board ASAP, but remember, last year McElwain had been named HC at Colorado State, but he still coached in the BCSNG, right?

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
I think Gundy to Arkansas is a good hire. He has done a great job with average talent. Great offensive mind to go with offense-focused Arkansas. He'll be able to recruit a little better in Arkansas. He'll have that program competing back on top next year. Hope we can keep Altee Tenpenny.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.