2012 Coaching Carousel Catch All Thread

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
If it is Charlie Strong to Tennessee like the rumor mill suggests, Tennessee hired the best coach of the three...and Arkansas had 7 months, Auburn probably knew their search was on in September, and Tennessee probably didn't bail on Dooley until late October.
I think it speaks to the fact that Auburn couldn't get any better than Malzahn. Arkansas? Not sure what happened there.

But I agree, if it's Strong, then Tennessee has seriously upgraded.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
Bielema is a solid pick. We'll see if he can adjust to the obsessive pace of the SEC. I see this as just a $$ hire. Not a good fit as far as personality or knowing the area. Will take a while to turn around that defense.
Gus doesn't scare me much anymore. I think we've figured out his offense for the most part. Plus, I don't think he is a very hard worker. I don't think he'll work very hard to recruit.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Wisky has always performed above their recruiting output. They mostly sign 3-stars with a few 4-stars highlighting their classes. In a sense, they recruit basically at the level Arkansas has shown to be able to maintain throughout their time here in the SEC. Bielema will bring a hard-nosed mentality to Arkansas and you might beat them but they will grind on you for four quarters.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Wisconsin will go after Cryst, and then another in the long line of Wisconsin Assistants. Kirby might be on their long list, but I doubt he will be on their short list...no knock on him, just that they tend to keep it in the Alvarez family.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I think the boogs by far made the worst hire. Most of the SEC had figured out the Malzahn offense last year which is why he got out while the getting was good.

Malzahn's offense contributes to their horrible defensive numbers because after 3 or 4 straight 3 and out's by the offense they will be gassed. Remember Roof was blamed for the poor defensive numbers when in fact it was a by product of the offensive system. Roof apparently did pretty well at Penn State. Gus won't be able to recruit good defensive players. What defensive player in their right mind would want play for Gus. It would certainly be no path the NFL. And then we have the elephant in the room literally, Saban is staying in Tuscaloosa for the foreseeable future and he has created a situation where no AU coach has a chance of success on the field or in recruiting. This is not to mention the NCAA is at the boogs door.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I think Gus' success will be directly related to the staff he hires.. If he can hire a solid defensive guy, then perhaps he can begin to right the ship down there. If not, then expect more of the same...

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
thats a tough blow for UT, really not sure where they go now. for the record I still think the reason we havent heard Petrino to any SEC school is that the SEC office has put an official show cause on him or at least strongly hinted that Petrino's hire will not be allowed.

Has UT approached Patterson?
He reportedly signed an extension from TCU.

Also, supposedly Malzahn is targeting Ellis Johnson for DC...

Last edited:

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
thats a tough blow for UT, really not sure where they go now. for the record I still think the reason we havent heard Petrino to any SEC school is that the SEC office has put an official show cause on him or at least strongly hinted that Petrino's hire will not be allowed.

Has UT approached Patterson?
saw this yesterday, don't know who this guy is or if he is credible but it wouldn't surprise me if this were true

https://twitter.com/ChaddScott/status/276118333517099008

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
I do not envy Dave Hart right now. You have a fanbase that was 100% sold on getting Gruden, and they are going to end up with a coach most of them will have to search for on wikipedia.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.