2012 Coaching Carousel Catch All Thread

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
My wife is a Southern Miss alum and tries to keep her finger on the pulse of the program as best she can. She says that there's a lot of angry alum, fans and boosters calling for EJ's head - and with good reason. How do you take over a program and a team that finished with 12 wins the previous year and be completely winless the next?
Southern Miss never should have fired Jeff Bower.

tidefaninvr

3rd Team
Sep 15, 2007
Speaking of coaching carousels, I just noticed this information about coaches in the SEC as compared to CMR @ UGA since he has been there:

ALABAMA (3)
Dennis Franchione (2001-02)
Mike shula (2003-2006)
Nick Saban (2007-present)

ARKANSAS (3)
Houston Nutt (1998-2007)
Bobby Petrino (2008-2011)
John L. Smith (2012)

AUBURN (2)
Tommy Tuberville (1999-2008)
Gene Chizik (2009-2012)

FLORIDA (4)
Steve Spurrier (1990-2001)
Ron Zook (2002-2004)
Urban Meyer (2005-2010)
Will Muschamp (2011-present)
KENTUCKY (3)
Guy Morriss (2001-2002)
Rich Brooks (2003-2009)
Joker Phillips (2010-2012)

LSU (2)
Nick Saban (2000-2004)
Les Miles (2005-present)

OLE MISS (4)
David Cutcliff (1998-2004)
Ed Orgeron (2005-07)
Houston Nutt (2008-2011)
Hugh Freeze (2012-present)

MISSISSIPPI STATE (3)
Jackie Sherrill (1991-2003)
Sylvester Croom (2004-2008)
Dan Mullen (2009-present)

SOUTH CAROLINA (2)
Lou Holtz (1999-2004)
Steve Spurrier (2005-present)

TENNESSEE (3)
Phillip Fulmer (1992-2008)
Lane Kiffin (2009)
Derek Dooley (2010-2012)

VANDERBILT (4)
Woody Widenhofer (1997-2001)
Bobby Johnson (2002-2009)
Robbie Caldwell (2010)
James Franklin (2011-present)

Read more here: http://www.macon.com/2012/11/26/226...el-turns.html#storylink=botnext#storylink=cpy

lafella

Hall of Fame
Nov 27, 2006
Baldwin County, AL.
Colorado firing Embree seems to have sparked the African American hiring talk again. I don't think it had anything to do with it he won 4 games in 2 years and got blown out in alot of those games. I'll say what I've always said don't care if your purple if you can coach it wouldn't matter.

Strong is a good coach, Sumlin seems to be a good coach, Franklin seems to be a good coach, Shaw is a good coach, even that Kent State coach Hazell(sp?) is doing a good job. Taggert is a good coach as well and will probably make a move soon at a higher profile school.

Im_on_dsp

All-SEC
Oct 10, 2007
Canton, GA
Re: The Right Man for Auburn - Coach Ed Generro

We're not completely there yet on minority hiring in the college coaching ranks but I think it speaks volumes that John Embree and Joker Phillips can be fired without anyone throwing the race card around. Let everyone be judged on their accomplishments or in this case, lack thereof.

kayakerjess

All-American
Sep 9, 2005
Colorado

We're not completely there yet on minority hiring in the college coaching ranks but I think it speaks volumes that John Embree and Joker Phillips can be fired without anyone throwing the race card around. Let everyone be judged on their accomplishments or in this case, lack thereof.
The point Embree was making was not that he was fired because of his race, but that black head coaches who get fired are less likely to get re-hired as a head coach than a fired white head coach. He mentioned Ty Willingham as an example of the only black head coach who actually did get another shot.

Last edited:

tidefaninvr

3rd Team
Sep 15, 2007

I saw one of the talking heads, Brady Ackerman I think, on SEC on CSS here in Atlanta point out that he thought Hudspeth from ULM would emerge as a front runner for the job at the Barn

Any thoughts?

lafella

Hall of Fame
Nov 27, 2006
Baldwin County, AL.

The point Embree was making was not that he was fired because of his race, but that black head coaches who get fired are less likely to get re-hired as a head coach than a fired white head coach. He mentioned Ty Willingham as an example of a "good" coach who has yet to get another shot.
Wasn't Willingham at Stanford, Notre Dame, and Washington? seems like a bad choice to single out.

kayakerjess

All-American
Sep 9, 2005
Colorado

Wasn't Willingham at Stanford, Notre Dame, and Washington? seems like a bad choice to single out.
Sorry, I said it wrong. Embree stated that Willingham was the one example he could think of who DID get another shot at being a HC.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL

Trooper Taylor should be named APIMhead coach today.,who else is more All In, More Fambly. So what he waves a towel & wears his cap backwards? Clearly he is qualified.

If he is not hired/promoted the Al Sharpton, Jessie Jackson, President Obama & more importantly Charles Barkley should call out API.

Thats only fair.

lafella

Hall of Fame
Nov 27, 2006
Baldwin County, AL.

Charles said on that NBA show he is on that they should hire Petrino but they never listen to him that's why the are up a creek without a paddle now! LMAO

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL

Charles said on that NBA show he is on that they should hire Petrino but they never listen to him that's why the are up a creek without a paddle now! LMAO
Some of their sites call it a Done Deal approved by Mike Slime to be announced Sunday with TT & BVG staying. Unreal.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
The point Embree was making was not that he was fired because of his race, but that black head coaches who get fired are less likely to get re-hired as a head coach than a fired white head coach. He mentioned Ty Willingham as an example of a "good" coach who has yet to get another shot.
I always thought Ty got a raw deal at Notre Dame (another reason I'll never root for them). Weiss won with the guys that Willingham recruited. So Ty never got to cook with his own groceries.

In fairness, though, Willingham DID get another job at Washington right after ND and it ended horribly. And for anyone interested, Willingham (who is much older than he looks) is now the women's golf coach at Stanford

kayakerjess

All-American
Sep 9, 2005
Colorado
I always thought Ty got a raw deal at Notre Dame (another reason I'll never root for them). Weiss won with the guys that Willingham recruited. So Ty never got to cook with his own groceries.

In fairness, though, Willingham DID get another job at Washington right after ND and it ended horribly. And for anyone interested, Willingham (who is much older than he looks) is now the women's golf coach at Stanford
Mack, I fixed my original post. I botched it the first time - Embree said Ty was the only black head coach who DID get a second shot.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
Thought the miles rumor was crap then saw its being circulated by sports by brooks and had my suspicions confirmed. Why anyone would trust that guy is beyond me

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.