Page 24 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1417181920212223242526272829303134 ... LastLast

Re: 2012 Coaching Carousel Catch All Thread

Will Strong get to join the country club in Knoxville?

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American TheRealPokeChop's Avatar
    My Mood
    Aggressive on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Agreed - Strong will be a good hire for them, I think.
    yep strong would be a great hire.
    Serve no master but your own ambition.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    Inspired on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    If it is Charlie Strong to Tennessee like the rumor mill suggests, Tennessee hired the best coach of the three...and Arkansas had 7 months, Auburn probably knew their search was on in September, and Tennessee probably didn't bail on Dooley until late October.
    I think it speaks to the fact that Auburn couldn't get any better than Malzahn. Arkansas? Not sure what happened there.

But I agree, if it's Strong, then Tennessee has seriously upgraded.

BamaNation All-SEC

Bielema is a solid pick. We'll see if he can adjust to the obsessive pace of the SEC. I see this as just a $$ hire. Not a good fit as far as personality or knowing the area. Will take a while to turn around that defense.
    Gus doesn't scare me much anymore. I think we've figured out his offense for the most part. Plus, I don't think he is a very hard worker. I don't think he'll work very hard to recruit.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    Will Strong get to join the country club in Knoxville?
    haha. that ain't right.

Strong is about as strong of a recruiter as there is and UT must have a strong recruiter. We'll see how long he lasts.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Wisky has always performed above their recruiting output. They mostly sign 3-stars with a few 4-stars highlighting their classes. In a sense, they recruit basically at the level Arkansas has shown to be able to maintain throughout their time here in the SEC. Bielema will bring a hard-nosed mentality to Arkansas and you might beat them but they will grind on you for four quarters.

BamaNation First Team CrimsonPride25's Avatar

I wouldn't be surprised if Wisconsin targets Kirby... This is the type of job I'd like to see him go to. Would be a good program to start out at.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonPride25 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if Wisconsin targets Kirby... This is the type of job I'd like to see him go to. Would be a good program to start out at.
    Already thought about that.

BamaNation All-American Matt0424's Avatar
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Wisconsin will go after Cryst, and then another in the long line of Wisconsin Assistants. Kirby might be on their long list, but I doubt he will be on their short list...no knock on him, just that they tend to keep it in the Alvarez family.

BamaNation All-SEC
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

I think the boogs by far made the worst hire. Most of the SEC had figured out the Malzahn offense last year which is why he got out while the getting was good.

Malzahn's offense contributes to their horrible defensive numbers because after 3 or 4 straight 3 and out's by the offense they will be gassed. Remember Roof was blamed for the poor defensive numbers when in fact it was a by product of the offensive system. Roof apparently did pretty well at Penn State. Gus won't be able to recruit good defensive players. What defensive player in their right mind would want play for Gus. It would certainly be no path the NFL. And then we have the elephant in the room literally, Saban is staying in Tuscaloosa for the foreseeable future and he has created a situation where no AU coach has a chance of success on the field or in recruiting. This is not to mention the NCAA is at the boogs door.

BamaNation All-American Matt0424's Avatar
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

I think Gus' success will be directly related to the staff he hires.. If he can hire a solid defensive guy, then perhaps he can begin to right the ship down there. If not, then expect more of the same...

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

solid hire for the barn IMO.. i mean really, there wasnt going to be a "home run" guy who wanted to be the coach there. at least with Gus they will return to a 8-9 win team.