2012 Coaching Carousel Catch All Thread

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
It wouldn't surprise at all for the barn to announce their head coach, whoever he is, just prior to the SEC CG to steal the attention / spotlight for a brief moment.
Would be just like them.

Except I really think they are going to have a hard time unless it's BP & they just need Dye to be All In.

Dont be fooled by this Bo & Sully stuff might as well said Pat Dye will tell us who.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I really think Bobby Petrino is who they end up hiring. They're going to swing and miss on the guys who can go anywhere they want but they need to come out of this search with a real name. Petrino will probably be that fallback.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I really think Bobby Petrino is who they end up hiring. They're going to swing and miss on the guys who can go anywhere they want but they need to come out of this search with a real name. Petrino will probably be that fallback.
I agree rgw, and have said that before Chizik was axed to leave. Available, cheap, and desperate all the qualifications au is looking for in a HC. Morals be damned.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I get the sense that a few Auburn fans will openly say "I want Petrino," but I get an ever stronger impression that most are saying "I don't want Petrino" but they secretly hope he's the one hired.

It wouldn't surprise at all for the barn to announce their head coach, whoever he is, just prior to the SEC CG to steal the attention / spotlight for a brief moment.
The SEC has basically told schools not to announce a hiring on the weekend of the championship game. Not saying schools will listen, but the league office has tried to stop it.

kayakerjess

All-American
Sep 9, 2005
Colorado
Strong is overrated. He only has a 60% winning percentage as a head coach.
Care to venture a guess as to Coach Saban's winning percentage after his first 3 years as a head coach? I'll help you out - it was 53%.

Strong is already a good HC and he will continue to improve. I hope he has enough sense to steer clear of the Barn.

graydogg85

1st Team
Feb 7, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Strong is overrated. He only has a 60% winning percentage as a head coach.
I tend to agree. By all accounts he's a good guy and a solid defensive mind but I think he'd struggle at a big-time SEC school. It took him a while to land a head coaching gig considering how many he applied for and his success as a DC at USC and Florida. And before anyone throws the race card, I don't think that had anything at all to do with it - I've heard from reputable sources that he was a poor interview and couldn't articulate things like staff composition and overall philosophy.

He's got a good team at Louisville this season, but they still dropped two games that they had no business losing. His first two UL teams were very mediocre, especially given the competition they faced.

I have nothing against Strong and I hope he's successful wherever he goes. But I think it would be a mistake for an SEC team to hire him. For Auburn, he'd be a step-up from Gene but I think they would still struggle.

JMO. RTR.

Care to venture a guess as to Coach Saban's winning percentage after his first 3 years as a head coach? I'll help you out - it was 53%.

Strong is already a good HC and he will continue to improve. I hope he has enough sense to steer clear of the Barn.
Coach Bryant's was 65%... Coach Stallings was an atrocious 38% if you throw in the NFL games.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Strong has great potential. He was a highly successful defensive coordinator and his early head coaching career has been highly positive too. I wouldn't count him out as being a quality SEC coach one day.

tmv85

All-SEC

I was going to mention this as well. The only reason I knew it, though, was because my barner son-in-law informed me that Saban was average at best while at Michigan St. Hoping to prove him wrong, I checked it out and found he was right. Grrrr. What is funny to me is that he says a 53% record is average, but he is quite happy with the barn's 16-14 record (also 53%) over us during the 30 years post-Coach Bryant...years when we averaged a new coach every 3-4 years and had severe scholarship reductions.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
And Petrino's winning percentage was 81% after his first three seasons at Lousiville, but he's never won even a division title in the SEC and no one would take him over CNS.

IOW, the first three years isn't a great way to judge how a coach is doing. IMO, anything @ 60% or above in the first three years as a head coach is pretty stinkin' good.

I agree.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
Did API leak the Strong interview because he turned them down?

I know sounds weird but tonight is a really big game for the cardinals & I'm sure Coach Stong did not need this?

Just asking because I would not put it pass them.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
Coach Bryant's was 65%... Coach Stallings was an atrocious 38% if you throw in the NFL games.
I am one of the very few who will admit that I thought it was a big mistake when we hired Coach Stallings. He had been fired from Texas A&M and the NFL Cardinals. When he started 0-3 it seemed I was right. I am very glad that I was wrong!

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Regarding why it took so long for Strong to get a head coaching gig... If you want my honest opinion, race is the biggest reason it took so long for Strong to get a job...that's all I'll say about it.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I am one of the very few who will admit that I thought it was a big mistake when we hired Coach Stallings. He had been fired from Texas A&M and the NFL Cardinals. When he started 0-3 it seemed I was right. I am very glad that I was wrong!
Nope, I thought CGS was a bad hire. Dismal record at TAMU and not much better in the NFL. Then losing his first game to USM in Bham was validation of a bad hire of one of Coach Bryant's boys. I was totally wrong on that one.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Did API leak the Strong interview because he turned them down?

I know sounds weird but tonight is a really big game for the cardinals & I'm sure Coach Stong did not need this?

Just asking because I would not put it pass them.
No, I don't think so. Shortly after that rumor leaked, a close acquaintance of his tweeted that it was false, and that he never interviewed for, nor was even interested in, the *U job. I'll take that tweet as authoritative long before I'll believe anyone from *U saying that he interviewed for their opening.
However I do think that job, as well as many others, will fill very quickly starting this Sunday.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
I was going to mention this as well. The only reason I knew it, though, was because my barner son-in-law informed me that Saban was average at best while at Michigan St. Hoping to prove him wrong, I checked it out and found he was right. Grrrr. What is funny to me is that he says a 53% record is average, but he is quite happy with the barn's 16-14 record (also 53%) over us during the 30 years post-Coach Bryant...years when we averaged a new coach every 3-4 years and had severe scholarship reductions.
Coach Saban has said that he had to learn how to coach better after the first few years. It's when he started focusing on player execution above team performance. It seems that a lot of people think that coaches can't learn and evolve as they coach. Now some coaches will always be in over their head, but a good portion will improve over time and become juggernauts like Coach Saban. So, if you point to a coach's first 1, 2, or 3 years as the best they can do, often you're missing the point. Additionally, a new coach has to coach the players that are already in the pipeline, so it's really year 3 or 4 before they are coaching most of their recruits for the style of football they plan to teach. The trajectory of the coach's program is more indicative of how good of a coach they are more than a simple winning percentage. I'd dare say also that the school's conference will play a good deal into the equation too.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.