2012 Coaching Carousel Catch All Thread

For the life of me, I'll never understand the interest in Gruden. I would have loved it if that was Tennessee's hire. Talk about a train wreck waiting to happen.
Playing devil's advocate and looking at it from the perspective of a fan base trying to hire him, he is the "rock star" name. He'd immediately energize a fan base, get season tickets sold, etc. I'm not saying he'd be successful, but he'd generate a lot of interest/attention in the job. Then, of course, he could very well crash and burn, and it'd be epic.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Playing devil's advocate and looking at it from the perspective of a fan base trying to hire him, he is the "rock star" name. He'd immediately energize a fan base, get season tickets sold, etc. I'm not saying he'd be successful, but he'd generate a lot of interest/attention in the job. Then, of course, he could very well crash and burn, and it'd be epic.
I believe you're right about the excitement factor. The Tennessee fans are obviously enamored with him. But the guy has literally almost zero experience recruiting. No experience running a college program. And we've seen the difficulty of pro coaches transitioning to the college game (and vice versa). Add to that he wasn't that great of a pro coach outside of the one Super Bowl season, and he's been sitting on the sidelines now for several years.

Yes, I agree the excitement over his hire would give Tennessee a boost in ticket sales and energize the fanbase. But when toe hits leather, I think he would crash and burn. Hard.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I like Gruden, but I don't think his personality would be suited for Tennessee football.
Gruden would be a rookie recruiting against the likes of Coach Saban and CMR.
Coach SOS would also out-recruit him...
IMO: The Gruden Offense would be a little complicated for our Tennessee brethren.
Lastly I'm not sure Gruden really wants to be thrown into the Lions Den that is the SEC.
It's like a young fighter having matches with the World Heavy Weight Champion,
Except he would have one every week.
Brutal and less money than the Pros pay... Don't see him doing it.

I like Gruden, but I don't think his personality would be suited for Tennessee football.
Gruden would be a rookie recruiting against the likes of Coach Saban and CMR.
Coach SOS would also out-recruit him...
IMO: The Gruden Offense would be a little complicated for our Tennessee brethren.
Lastly I'm not sure Gruden really wants to be thrown into the Lions Den that is the SEC.
It's like a young fighter having matches with the World Heavy Weight Champion,
Except he would have one every week.
Brutal and less money than the Pros pay... Don't see him doing it.
His offense wouldn't be just a little complicated. He took pride in having one of the most complex West Coast systems, which itself is already a complex offense. His play call terminology was notorious for being way too wordy and unneeded at times.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
His play call terminology was notorious for being way too wordy and unneeded at times.
I remember an interview with Bucs QB Brad Johnson where he said that getting a play from the sidelines and into everyone in the huddle then getting to the line in time to get his defensive reads was a real challenge under Gruden - he then gave an example of a play call that was literally about 25 words long. It was pretty ridiculous.

I remember an interview with Bucs QB Brad Johnson where he said that getting a play from the sidelines and into everyone in the huddle then getting to the line in time to get his defensive reads was a real challenge under Gruden - he then gave an example of a play call that was literally about 25 words long. It was pretty ridiculous.
On the FOX pregame one day, Terry Bradshaw looked at one of Gruden's play calls and basically said, "We had the same play at Pittsburgh and I called it with about half the words."

graydogg85

1st Team
Feb 7, 2006
Huntsville, AL
I may be wrong, but it seems like there was an interview with Gruden a year or two ago where he was discussing college football. I think he made some remarks to the effect of "if I were coaching in college, we'd be running an up-tempo spread". I could be totally off-base there, but take it FWIW. He's a sharp guy and I think he'd realize that with limited practice time and less mature players, his vastly complex NFL scheme wouldn't translate too well.

I'm neither a Gruden supporter nor a detractor, but for all of the folks talking about how hard he'd crash and burn at the college level, I'd offer that many people were saying the same thing about Jim Mora Jr. at UCLA this time a year ago. Those two are very similar-profile guys.

I may be wrong, but it seems like there was an interview with Gruden a year or two ago where he was discussing college football. I think he made some remarks to the effect of "if I were coaching in college, we'd be running an up-tempo spread". I could be totally off-base there, but take it FWIW. He's a sharp guy and I think he'd realize that with limited practice time and less mature players, his vastly complex NFL scheme wouldn't translate too well.

I'm neither a Gruden supporter nor a detractor, but for all of the folks talking about how hard he'd crash and burn at the college level, I'd offer that many people were saying the same thing about Jim Mora Jr. at UCLA this time a year ago. Those two are very similar-profile guys.
Yeah... it's no secret Gruden has been fascinated with the up tempo/spread offenses, especially what Chip Kelly has done at Oregon. You do bring up some good points about his adaptability and such.

bamaee04

All-SEC
Nov 15, 2004
Birmingham, AL
I have heard from several Barners that they are going to name Petrino as head coach today.
They are 2 peas in a pod, and I hope they have a miserable time together :). I can say that several of the Barners I work with do not want Petrino. These are also in the group that want to clean house including Jacobs and Goudge. RTR!

CrimsonChuck

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 1999
Philadelphia, PA
Gruden not interested.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...tennessee-volunteers-search-coach-sources-say

Tennessee's search for a new football coach is not focused on Jon Gruden, multiple sources close to the school's search process told ESPN.com on Friday.

There were discussions among the two sides late last week, but Gruden informed Tennessee officials after meeting with his family that it was a move he didn't want to make at this time, according to sources.

"Coach Gruden has let us know that he's not interested, and we're pursuing other candidates," a Tennessee official said.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
Anything starting with, "I heard from my barner friend..." might as well start "I was talking to a magic frog today..." or "A homeless man was screaming something at the fountain in 5 points..." or "I read something by clay travis (or sportsbybrooks)".

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.