2012 Coaching Carousel Catch All Thread

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011

AP source: Southern Miss hires Monken as coach

By DAVID BRANDT (AP Sports Writer) | The Associated Press – 1 hour 50 minutes ago

Southern Mississippi has hired Todd Monken as its next football coach, said a person familiar with the decision.
The person said that Monken will be introduced at a Tuesday afternoon news conference that the university has scheduled. The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the university had not publically announced Monken's hiring.
Monken has spent the past two seasons as the offensive coordinator at Oklahoma State.
He will replace Ellis Johnson, who was fired after just one season in which the Golden Eagles finished with a 0-12 record.
Johnson - whose defensive-minded pedigree always seemed to be a poor fit with the Golden Eagles - is owed a $2.1 million buyout over the next three seasons.
It's the second time in five years that Southern Miss has turned to an Oklahoma State offensive coordinator to lead its program.

CrimsonChuck

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 1999
Philadelphia, PA
Kliff Kingsbury (former QB for Texas Tech and current Texas A&M OC) is the leading candidate for the Texas Tech job. I think that would be a great fit for them. They get an up-and-coming assistant, and they don't have worry about the loyalty issues that Tuberville had. This makes me feel really old because he is 7 years younger than me. ;)

https://twitter.com/schadjoe/status/278997195380891648

Joe Schad said:
Kliff Kingsbury has emerged as the strong leading candidate at Texas Tech according to multiple sources

MightyWingman

1st Team
Jun 9, 2010
Houston, TX
Kliff Kingsbury (former QB for Texas Tech and current Texas A&M OC) is the leading candidate for the Texas Tech job. I think that would be a great fit for them. They get an up-and-coming assistant, and they don't have worry about the loyalty issues that Tuberville had. This makes me feel really old because he is 7 years younger than me. ;)

https://twitter.com/schadjoe/status/278997195380891648
Kingsbury to Tech is official. I think we (A&M) already have a replacement.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Bret Bielema hired Jim Chaney as OC. Chaney was at UT this past season. Very solid hire for Arky.

Also, Bruce Feldman reports that Gus Malzahn wants to get Dameyune Craig from FSU. No wonder he let go Trooper. Craig can do the same tricks without the reputation.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Wow - this is like a game of chess now!

I can't help but wonder if the SEC's dominant season this year helped create so many coaching changes.

We are taking the bowl season by storm!

Let's hope the Bulldogs prevail over Northwestern so we can finish the season with a complete blowout over all the other conferences.

All other SEC teams I'm not worried about. ;)

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
Kingsbury is definitely a smart hire, even if he fails. He'll come relatively cheaply, may never want to leave, has shown significant potential, and if he bombs, people will be far more forgiving of the AD because of his history as a player.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.