Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BamaNation All-American theballguy's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Remember when the SEC Championship Game was on ABC?

Quote Originally Posted by JPT4Bama View Post
    I was in too much of a state of shock to remember if Keith let out a "whoa Nellie!" but I think it took most of the first set for me to recover. I kept thinking how close he/we came to changing the broadcast of this historic game and just how it would have been explained to the public!!
    Great story man!
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Bigalstide1877 View Post
    I wish keith jackson and bob griese still called games. Probably two of the best football commentators of all time. imo
    Best announcer of all time= Keith Jackson
    Best duo = Mike Gottfried and Ron Franklin

BamaNation Second Team snake plissken's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Pony View Post
    The 1st SECCG was a 2:30 start (or somewhere around that time). That game would've been brutal in prime time because it was miserable enough in daylight due to the cold weather. Sitting under the upper deck, in the shade, ranks as the coldest Bama game I've ever attended.
    You're right. I was thinking around 1994 when they started to play every year in the Georgia Dome.
    call me snake

BamaNation All-American BAMA1979's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TiderJ View Post
    Yep. I was there also in the north end zone with the wind blowing in my face the whole game. It was the coldest game I ever sat through and I'm sure the weather in a small way is the reason the game was moved to the dome in ATL.

I thought the SEC championship game has been played at 3:00 CST for some time.
    At least the past five games have started at 3:00.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

The first two games were in Legion Field and the game was played in the afternoon. The first year was cold, the second it rained plus the second didn't matter nationally as both teams were out of the national title picture. The game moved to Atlanta in 1994. Starting in 1996 it was print- time, due in large part to the addition of the WAC and Big 12 title games. It was on ABC from 1992-1999; I don't know about 2000, I didn't watch it. The game has been on CBS since 2001 or perhaps 2000. The game was moved back to late afternoon in 2008.
    I'll always look back as I walk away
    This memory will last for eternity
    And all of our tears will be lost in the rain
    Til I find my way back to your arms again

Only a few people in the world have the ability to remember everything. I'm one of them. Pick any day of my life, and I can tell you what I saw or heard.

BamaNation All-SEC dadleyblane5's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bigalstide1877 View Post
    I wish keith jackson and bob griese still called games. Probably two of the best football commentators of all time. imo
    I do too....I remember those days.

BamaNation All-American We_are_Bama's Avatar
    My Mood
    Crappy on TideFans.com

The SEC Title Game was on ABC from 1992-2000. It has been on CBS since 2001. It was an afternoon kickoff in 1992-1994. It was a night game from 1995-1999, and then again from 2001-2003. It has been a day game since 2004. I really miss it being a prime time kickoff on ABC. Especially now since my cable provider is dropping CBS tomorrow at 4:00 pm.
    When my grandma left this life, I didn't say bye. I said see you later.

RIP, Grandma. Forever in my heart.
    01/04/1926-08/11/2012

My generous employer gives us 104 vacation days a year. They are called Saturday and Sunday.

BamaNation First Team Im_on_dsp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by We_are_Bama View Post
    Especially now since my cable provider is dropping CBS tomorrow at 4:00 pm.
    ??????? Who do you get your cable from, Vinnie's Cable and Catering Emporium? Dropping CBS? Who in the world would stay with them after dropping a major network?

BamaNation All-American We_are_Bama's Avatar
    My Mood
    Crappy on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Im_on_dsp View Post
    ??????? Who do you get your cable from, Vinnie's Cable and Catering Emporium? Dropping CBS? Who in the world would stay with them after dropping a major network?
    I have Charter. From what Charter is telling us, some company called "LIN TV" is demanding higher fees from Charter in order for them to continue to carry CBS, the CW, and Fox. The local CBS affiliate here in Birmingham (WIAT 42) has been running a crawler since around mid-October stating that if a new deal between Charter and this LIN TV is not reached by 11/29/12, then at 4:00 pm on that date, CBS will be removed from Charter's line up. The funny thing is, I have not seen any such crawler on the CW or FOX channels, but I guess this applies to them as well. WIAT 42 has informed us that as of today, (which is 11/28, one day from the deadline) negotiations between the two parties at a standstill. So, I am taking that to mean that barring some kind of last minute miracle, those three networks are as good as gone from Charter. And Charter's "advice" to us? "Call up LIN TV and tell them that you don't want to lose these networks." I called this LIN TV and told them just that. They told me "okay". So, I don't think they care all that much. But, I've got my portable 7" ready just in case. I haven't watched tv on something that small in many many years.
    When my grandma left this life, I didn't say bye. I said see you later.

RIP, Grandma. Forever in my heart.
    01/04/1926-08/11/2012

My generous employer gives us 104 vacation days a year. They are called Saturday and Sunday.

Suspended
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by bradley30 View Post
    Best announcer of all time= Keith Jackson
    Best duo = Mike Gottfried and Ron Franklin
    Mike Gottfried is a part of the Mobile Alabama Gottriend clan, or somewhere near. It was a sad day when he had a stroke, not only for he and family, but the fans. He was at ESPN during their Golden Years right when the motto was still "Thank God for ESPN".