BCS final four madness begins - I am confused

bogeypro

Scout Team
Oct 25, 2005
Was watching BCS countdown show. At the end they are discussing the what if scenario if we had 4 team playoff this year. They have ND vs Florida and Bama vs UGA. They said that if UGA or Bama loses, then then that team is out and Oregon is in.

That is just stupid in my opinion. Why does Oregon (a team not playing in their championship game) get in above a team that lost in their championship game to either a number 2 or number 3 ranked team. This sounds like the same issue that people had against Bama getting into championship game last year after not winning SEC.

I just see this whole final four being chosen by a committee as huge mistake. How do they sort it which SEC team goes where between UGA, Florida, and Bama?

Why can we not have a system like the NFL?

snake plissken

1st Team
Apr 13, 2011
Birmingham
I think the playoff is a huge mistake! After listening to them tonight, I understand it as you have to win the SEC Championship game, then you have to win TWO more games to win the national championship. I think that is way too much. By the time you win those three games, you probably would have had to beat 3 top 5 teams in a row.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
that would be the argument against conference championship games, sometimes they help sometimes they don't.

What championship game did we win last year to get in the Title game? None. Since we've benefited from it before I think we can have few real complaints about it.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I think the playoff is a huge mistake! After listening to them tonight, I understand it as you have to win the SEC Championship game, then you have to win TWO more games to win the national championship. I think that is way too much. By the time you win those three games, you probably would have had to beat 3 top 5 teams in a row.
Sounds like what a playoff is supposed to do.

skipster63

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2010
Buchanan Dam
that would be the argument against conference championship games, sometimes they help sometimes they don't.

What championship game did we win last year to get in the Title game? None. Since we've benefited from it before I think we can have few real complaints about it.
Sooo. Let me tag on to this thought but i think i know the answer ($$$$). Why not have it set up like this.....if the SEC has two teams in the top 4, then no SEC championship game is played as it is unnecessary? I guess this game cannot be set up with contingencies?? I just see less of a need for it after the top 4 teams being selected barring some odd circumstances. It just seems clear that playing the championship game going forward can only hurt us as we move closer to a playoff format. We beat each other up enough already during the regular season.

Sooo. Let me tag on to this thought but i think i know the answer ($$$$). Why not have it set up like this.....if the SEC has two teams in the top 4, then no SEC championship game is played as it is unnecessary? I guess this game cannot be set up with contingencies?? I just see less of a need for it after the top 4 teams being selected barring some odd circumstances. It just seems clear that playing the championship game going forward can only hurt us as we move closer to a playoff format. We beat each other up enough already during the regular season.
I agree with this. This whole playoff that they are having now is going to be even worse than the BCS is right now. I tend to like the BCS, get rid of a couple of rules then it is near perfect.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Their scenario is flawed. Was it not announced two weeks ago that the playoff will include 3 conference champions and an at-large team (possibly a 4th conference champion)?

bogeypro

Scout Team
Oct 25, 2005
I just dont understand how the system is going to be any better. There is still automatic bowl qualifications and how expensive would it be to travel to mulitple bowls games each off season? Who is on the committee?

too late to complain about it now and they didnt ask me, but why not follow a system similar to the NFL? Each conference has a champion and those champions are seeded to play in the bracket.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Totally agree - the new system will benefit the Domers and big12

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thetwonewguru

Suspended
Aug 11, 2006
I've never been for the playoff system. Weekend like a couple of weeks ago will be ruined. True the Oregon and KState loses would have been exciting with a playoff system but i wouldn't have been as captivated like I am with the current system. The FBS has one of the most unique systems in sports. I believe that's why college football is so successful. The BCS gives people so much to talk about.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
So what happens if you have 3 SEC teams in the top 4 like you have this year? Isn't only the SEC champion allowed to go?
The at large could be a non conference champion from a BCS conference. What I heard was 3 highest ranked conference champions or the golden domers from either 4 or 5 conferences including the Mt West (might be 6 actually). The at large would be the highest ranked non conference champion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bama By Birth

3rd Team
Dec 3, 2010
Ellaville, Ga
The whole playoff idea was from the Boise's and other schools that pounded West Central New Mexico St. School For The Impaired, 85 to 0 and then whined because they couldn't play for the BCS Championship. Our great president and Congress even got involved as if they had nothing better to do.

Whatever. All we can do is line 'em up and knock 'em down.

jangalang

All-SEC
Feb 16, 2003
Miami, FL
Keep in mind that if Ohio State weren't on probation, it'd probably be Notre Dame vs OSU this season. We (Bama and SEC fans) would all be clamoring for the plus 1 playoff.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Whatever. All we can do is line 'em up and knock 'em down.
Yep. We will just dominate the next system too!

Keep in mind that if Ohio State weren't on probation, it'd probably be Notre Dame vs OSU this season. We (Bama and SEC fans) would all be clamoring for the plus 1 playoff.
Brad Edwards actually tweeted that he didn't know if OH. State would even be able to edge out a one loss SEC team this year. However, I would expect the public outcry would be deafening if they were left out of the top two spot even with their weak schedule. So I agree that four spots will help us more than it will hurt us in the future.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Was watching BCS countdown show. At the end they are discussing the what if scenario if we had 4 team playoff this year. They have ND vs Florida and Bama vs UGA. They said that if UGA or Bama loses, then then that team is out and Oregon is in.

That is just stupid in my opinion. Why does Oregon (a team not playing in their championship game) get in above a team that lost in their championship game to either a number 2 or number 3 ranked team. This sounds like the same issue that people had against Bama getting into championship game last year after not winning SEC.

I just see this whole final four being chosen by a committee as huge mistake. How do they sort it which SEC team goes where between UGA, Florida, and Bama?

Why can we not have a system like the NFL?
THat scenario is a little different. Last year Alabama did not play in the SECCG but was #2 nationally versus a team that was a conference champion ( Okie Lite) but didn't play in a championship game. they both had the same record. This year, The team that looses the championship game will have 2 losses vs Oregon with 1.

As for the NFL question, that would make the conference champions play for the title and would make you Jim Delaney.

Last edited:

bogeypro

Scout Team
Oct 25, 2005
THat scenario is a little different. Last year Alabama did not play in the SECCG but was #2 nationally versus a team that was a conference champion ( Okie Lite) but didn't play in a championship game. they both had the same record. This year, The team that looses the championship game will have 2 losses vs Oregon with 1.

As for the NFL question, that would make the conference champions play for the title and would make you Jim Delaney.
however, our two losses would be to better opponents that Oregon's one, but I understand how the voters look at it.

How does that make me Jim Delany? Delany does not want a playoff system, I am saying to make it more like the NFL where conference games matter in order to get to the playoffs.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
The SEC Championship game should be played in secrecy so that the winner is not divulged until after the top 4 playoff teams have been selected. Only allow team fans to attend and not the media and make the fans swear to keep it secret.:eek2:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.