Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Could Blake Sims be a starter one day, opinion.

Yeah! His legs adds another dimension. That zone read is great too. When you have to honor that it opens up passing lanes and with the talent at receiver that we do, it goes a long way.

2. Advertisement
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cynical on TideFans.com

Re: Could Blake Sims be a starter one day, opinion.

I find it odd that he only attempted 1 pass against a terrible Auburn team over a period of 21 minutes when he replaced AJ.

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bamaro View Post
    I find it odd that he only attempted 1 pass against a terrible Auburn team over a period of 21 minutes when he replaced AJ.
    Coach Saban must have been valuing the shutout over more points, which is the gentlemanly thing to do with that score, imo. Coach Saban fits us to a tee and knew this game was Chizic's last. As a fan I had blood lust at the time and wanted to score 70, but in retrospect am happy how it was handled.

Wasn't there 2, one that was a little hard over the middle and one that was nearly picked off? I can't tell if he was trying to throw it out of bounds or hit the receiver at the mark, but the DB had position.

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Barring a catastrophe, it's AJ all the way. Perhaps they are playing Sims in trash time to show defenses that they have to prepare for him, or maybe he has earned it (Saban is big on playing guys who have worked hard). He certainly provides a completely different look to AJ. Next year, there will be the mother of all QB controversies as the new starter gets shaken out, from what I have seen that is unlikely to be Sims.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Would have liked to see Blake play with the 1's some on Saturday. Instead, it was just a mass substitution.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

News|BB|FB|Rec Moderator runtheoption22's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

On a related note, our 2nd string OL looks pretty quick on those zone read plays.

BamaNation All-American BamaMoon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrollTide View Post
    Barring a catastrophe, it's AJ all the way. Perhaps they are playing Sims in trash time to show defenses that they have to prepare for him, or maybe he has earned it (Saban is big on playing guys who have worked hard). He certainly provides a completely different look to AJ. Next year, there will be the mother of all QB controversies as the new starter gets shaken out, from what I have seen that is unlikely to be Sims.
    Don't think the OP was asking if he'd start when AJ is still in the program. AJ is the starter as long as he stays at Bama (barring injury of course), which is hopefully one more year.

BamaNation All-American BamaMoon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption22 View Post
    On a related note, our 2nd string OL looks pretty quick on those zone read plays.
    You know, the major "wrap up job" the second and third stringers have gotten this year is huge toward the development of a new line next year that replaces at least 3 starters.

It's the beauty of getting a lead and then being able to sit on it late in the game with the subs getting pt.

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Personally I worry about Sims being our #1. We need to be able to pass effectively else no matter what you do, the running game will dry up.
    “That issue has gone under the bridge, under the next bridge, over the next dam and is gone.”
    -CNS

BamaNation First Team Snuffy Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by theballguy View Post
    Personally I worry about Sims being our #1. We need to be able to pass effectively else no matter what you do, the running game will dry up.
    So are we in the same situation as 2009 where we all knew the real number 2 QB at the end of the season was the one red shirting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy Smith View Post
    So are we in the same situation as 2009 where we all knew the real number 2 QB at the end of the season was the one red shirting?
    I believe the AJ mystery makes everything different and not as seamless if he leaves.

Some believe we play the 2nd string in the these blowouts, but it's mainly a collection of 3rd, 4th and players that have earned some Rudy time. Our true second string could have continued to score points.

Coach Saban did just about everything he could do to halt the offense towards the end of the game. Even Drake was too much of a threat.

That Drake seems to bust one every 5th time he touches the ball. Sometimes I feel that coach Saban is keeping him a secret to lock up the new recruits . There is no doubt that if Drake keeps the fumbles down, stays in good standing, and blocks better, that he will wind up in the NFL. During the long run I think he would have scored if continued straight, which would have put us over the 55 point record. He could easily wind up 2nd string next year.
    Last edited by CapstoneTider; November 26th, 2012 at 10:07 AM.

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    Don't think the OP was asking if he'd start when AJ is still in the program. AJ is the starter as long as he stays at Bama (barring injury of course), which is hopefully one more year.
    I could probably have improved the comment by omitting the first self-evident sentence, but wanted to put Sims in context, it is a bit of a mystery as to Sims' exact role, either short term, long term, or even as AJ's backup. Will he get some short-yardage snaps or is that just a head-fake to give defenses something to worry about? Is he really AJs backup? Is he being prepared for next year? What is Ely's role? So very little is known.

BamaNation First Team Snuffy Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Without the aid of a crystal ball or Taro cards I will predict Sims moves back to RB next year but brings a true wildcat threat to run the read option in situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk