Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Re: Could Blake Sims be a starter one day, opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by DrollTide View Post
    I could probably have improved the comment by omitting the first self-evident sentence, but wanted to put Sims in context, it is a bit of a mystery as to Sims' exact role, either short term, long term, or even as AJ's backup. Will he get some short-yardage snaps or is that just a head-fake to give defenses something to worry about? Is he really AJs backup? Is he being prepared for next year? What is Ely's role? So very little is known.
    Which makes the entire QB question a mystery and I guess why I posted this thread. AJ is supposed to leave after next season I doubt one QB in the 2012 class suspected anything other, or Jemeis Winston would probably be on the team wowing us at the end of the game Saturday.

2. Advertisement
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Asleep on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by CapstoneTider View Post
    Cooper Bateman will certainly red-shirt unless he is just spectacular. It is really a challenge for our coaching staff having underclassman leaving. I doubt Coach Saban was thinking that AJ would possible leave during the 2012 recruiting class, along with the recruits. If AJ was a senior I bet we would have snagged a top 10 QB in that class instead of this one. We might have an unexpected gap. Injuries can do that, but most pocket QB's stay fairly healthy these days.
    During last year's recruiting process we still had Phillip Sims thus we didn't go after a really highly rated qb. The plus is that I think Nuss is a very good developer of OB's so I expect all of them to be much improved next fall.

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by bamamc1 View Post
    During last year's recruiting process we still had Phillip Sims thus we didn't go after a really highly rated qb. The plus is that I think Nuss is a very good developer of OB's so I expect all of them to be much improved next fall.
    That's a good point. We are still in a pickle if AJ leaves, maybe a small pickle

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Blah on TideFans.com

Best scenario, prolly not likely, AJ stays one more year, than hands off to one of the two RF QB's that are coming in next year. Regardless, the QB situation can't be worse than the barn's or the Tiger's last year
    to 16 and beyond........

BamaNation All-American Al A Bama's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

I was just wondering (I know Coach is da Boss but) why Ely did not get in the Bama vs Barn game in the 4th quarter? Is he in Saban's "doghouse" or was Coach just trying to get Blake Sims ready for Georgia, if needed?
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give me Liberty, or give me Death!" Patrick Henry

BamaNation All-American BamaMoon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bamaga View Post
    Best scenario, prolly not likely, AJ stays one more year, than hands off to one of the two RF QB's that are coming in next year. Regardless, the QB situation can't be worse than the barn's or the Tiger's last year
    Actually from recent discussions it seems that AJ is possibly rethinking about going early and may be leaning toward staying which I hope would be good for him and us!

BamaNation All-American BamaMoon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Al A Bama View Post
    I was just wondering (I know Coach is da Boss but) why Ely did not get in the Bama vs Barn game in the 4th quarter? Is he in Saban's "doghouse" or was Coach just trying to get Blake Sims ready for Georgia, if needed?
    IDK, but it could be a combination of Sims fits what we need at that position while AJ is healthy, which is someone who can come in and help kill the clock.

And, it may be that CNS doesn't see Ely as a long term option with Morris and Bateman on the way after AJ.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

I would love to see him (next year) play 15-20 plays/game as a combo back/wr/qb

Let him throw 5 times/game, run it 5, and go out in coverage 5-10/game

Might be an effective strategy
    Raj: Excuse me, I can't be drinking, I'm about to make an important scientific discovery here!
    Howard:What? Galileo did his best work while drinking wine!
    Raj: How do you know that?
    Howard: He was Italian, it's a reasonable assumption.
    Raj: Dude, can you even open your mouth without saying a cultural stereotype?
    Howard: I'm sorry Galileo drank diet sprite!

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    IDK, but it could be a combination of Sims fits what we need at that position while AJ is healthy, which is someone who can come in and help kill the clock.

And, it may be that CNS doesn't see Ely as a long term option with Morris and Bateman on the way after AJ.
    I believe this is the reason in the Auburn game. Ely is a pocket QB, and we wanted to keep the ball on the ground, maybe scramble around, handoff. We only threw passes to keep the defense a little nit honest in order to run for a few 1st downs. Coach Saban imo, valued a shutout much more than 80-7. Plus it showed good character.

On side note, Coach Saban always shows good character other than a temper. Our country is screwy that once you are labeled, it sticks with you for life. We score 7 points after half mainly on offensive prevention. They even took Drake out when we got in the red zone.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I thought he showed some potential in the WCU game when they allowed him to still execute a balanced offense with the passing game. We were not really trying to run a true offense against Auburn when he came in...we were content with running the ball and he didn't really get many high-percentage passing opportunities when we did pass.

When they were mixing the pass and run on first and second down against WCU, he looked like a guy closer to a quarterback than a tailback at QB. It is hard to take much away given the competition in that game, but the throws didn't look bad.

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

I would have a hard time seeing B. Sims as an every-down QB in Saban's system. His throwing motion is just too long and ends in a release from about the three-quarter position. He'd almost certainly have a lot of fumbles and batted throws, not to mention the problems with accuracy that the motion causes.

A great wildcat QB. An excellent change of pace. A deadly runner. But unless we change to an Oregon-style system (and with Ely, Morris, and Bateman in the wings, wholly unsuited to running an Oregon setup, that ain't happening), he's just not a good enough passer to be the main guy.
    Undefeated World Champion Threadkiller

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

As mentioned earlier, after AJ leaves or graduates, if Sims proves to be our best option at QB, I think it will have to be a zone option read offense. Fortunately, the second string has been practicing this offense so it won't be a huge change. I think he could be an effective starter one day. I don't think SAban will make Morris, Ely, or Bateman the QB just because they are more of a pro-style QB. Whoever makes the best decisions, moves the ball, and doesn't turn it over will get the job. Regardless of the style of offense we run.

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Sims would have a difficult time being a successful QB in our current system as a starter. It's a total mismatch. our offensive philosophy would have to change a good bit if he's given the nod