Could Blake Sims be a starter one day, opinion.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Without the aid of a crystal ball or Taro cards I will predict Sims moves back to RB next year but brings a true wildcat threat to run the read option in situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't think there's any way he moves from QB. You gotta remember we're a bit thin at running back this year because of injuries, but next year we're going to be trying to figure out which one of the eight or nine we're gonna play cause they're all gonna be pretty darn good.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I don't think there's any way he moves from QB. You gotta remember we're a bit thin at running back this year because of injuries, but next year we're going to be trying to figure out which one of the eight or nine we're gonna play cause they're all gonna be pretty darn good.
That gave me a chuckle. The ITAT AU board has fumed with frustration each time a good RB or LB has signed with us, because we're so loaded that, in their opinion, the kid will ride the pine for a while when he could come to AU and play right away (FWIW)... :D

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
That gave me a chuckle. The ITAT AU board has fumed with frustration each time a good RB or LB has signed with us, because we're so loaded that, in their opinion, the kid will ride the pine for a while when he could come to AU and play right away (FWIW)... :D
It actually would not surprise me to see him transfer - hopefully not there but to somewhere he could contribute. He is one of those kids that really is not a great fit as a regular here. Good athlete - just not great fit here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
I don't see Sims as the starter next year if McCarron leaves, or the year after for that matter. He's a very good athlete, but I'm not crazy about his throwing motion. However, I'm not the decision maker and haven't seen enough of Ely and none of Morris to even give an informative opinion. I totally trust our coaches to make that decision when it's time. :)

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Just like Corey Grant? :biggrin:

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I don't see Sims as the starter next year if McCarron leaves, or the year after for that matter. He's a very good athlete, but I'm not crazy about his throwing motion. However, I'm not the decision maker and haven't seen enough of Ely and none of Morris to even give an information opinion. I totally trust our coaches to make that decision when it's time. :)
Exactly..I just don't see Sims being the starter after AJ..As others have stated..We'd have to go in a whole different system with Sims as QB..I just don't see it..That's not a a knock against Sims..We run a Pro Style offense..Not a spread run, zone type offense(or whatever you call it)..Should Coach Saban decide that's the direction he wants the offense to move towards..I won't question it & will support it 100%..As for Ely & Morris goes..We simply have no clue cause we haven't seen them in action..They're on scholarship for a reason & Coach Saban wouldn't give 'em one if he didn't think they were capable SEC type talent..

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The key for Sims' future playing time is developing as a pocket passer. Troy Smith did it within a pro-style offense at Ohio State. Just because a guy came in raw as an athlete at quarterback doesn't mean he can't develop into a good enough game manager to run the offense. WCU is the only time we gave him a legitimate shot of running the full offense and he looked further along as a passer than I expected.

I think it is still more likely Ely or Bateman take over if McCarron leaves after his eligibility expires. If McCarron - in my opinion, ill-advisedly - leaves early then Sims may be the best option as a stop gap. It is pretty telling that Ely didn't even attempt a pass in the WCU game...I think the gameplan seems to be to prepare Sims for the emergency option this year and possible starter next year.

We're a zone run team predominantly, so a zone read look isn't that far off from what we normally execute up front. Really, all we're doing is changing the numbers game for the defense by making the QB keep a possibility. In fact, most of the typical passing plays the "zone read heavy" teams use are already within our playbook. It is really a matter of Sims developing as a passer enough to maintain balance.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Hate to bring this up in this thread but since you mentioned it, did Corey Grant play last Saturday against Bama?
He's played very little at Auburn. I was told he suffered an injury during fall camp. Also, he didn't benefit from transferring into one system and ending up in the system he left at Alabama.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
The performance level gap between AJ and other quarterback's Saturday was glaring. He is more consistent than any quarterback I've watched at Bama since I started in 78. AJ will leave big shoes to fill and is severely underrated by many. On top of his talents and size, he is a clutch QB, gets along well with coaches, players of all shapes and sizes like and he has a great temperament. We are going to sorely miss him when he leaves, and he will be the measuring point of all future QB's no doubt......starting with Blake.

NFL scouts and teams probably rate him higher than many the services, and hopefully one or two are telling him to stick around another year. QB's can play well into their 30's and AJ would not doubt be considered a top 3 QB at the start of next season. Another year of mental maturing for the NFL would be good for him, imo. Manning did it.

kayakerjess

All-American
Sep 9, 2005
Colorado
He's played very little at Auburn. I was told he suffered an injury during fall camp. Also, he didn't benefit from transferring into one system and ending up in the system he left at Alabama.
He has 9 carries for 29 yards this season. That's gotta be disappointing for the young man, especially considering what has transpired over the last week.

kayakerjess

All-American
Sep 9, 2005
Colorado
I was about to post the same thing. With Yeldon, Drake, Fowler, and Dee Hart, plus 3 of the best RBs in the country committed to play for us next year, I can't imagine that Blake would ever see any meaningful time at RB. Even assuming the worst that Dee and Nudie are slow to recover, the new guys Henry, Tenpenny, and Jones are going to be hard to keep off the field, especially Henry.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.