Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BamaNation First Team
    My Mood
    Angelic on TideFans.com

Re: Could Blake Sims be a starter one day, opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy Smith View Post
    Without the aid of a crystal ball or Taro cards I will predict Sims moves back to RB next year but brings a true wildcat threat to run the read option in situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Excatly, Sims is a "wildcat, option, running" QB with just an average arm. As if he is a stater one day or not will largely depend on the type of game Saban chooses to run. If its a basic one, not that much, if its a wildcat one, yes.
    Live your life like you wish you had.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy Smith View Post
    Without the aid of a crystal ball or Taro cards I will predict Sims moves back to RB next year but brings a true wildcat threat to run the read option in situations.

I don't think there's any way he moves from QB. You gotta remember we're a bit thin at running back this year because of injuries, but next year we're going to be trying to figure out which one of the eight or nine we're gonna play cause they're all gonna be pretty darn good.

Quote Originally Posted by Alasippi View Post
    I don't think there's any way he moves from QB. You gotta remember we're a bit thin at running back this year because of injuries, but next year we're going to be trying to figure out which one of the eight or nine we're gonna play cause they're all gonna be pretty darn good.
    That gave me a chuckle. The ITAT AU board has fumed with frustration each time a good RB or LB has signed with us, because we're so loaded that, in their opinion, the kid will ride the pine for a while when he could come to AU and play right away (FWIW)...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

BamaNation All-SEC Snuffy Smith's Avatar

Could Blake Sims be a starter one day, opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    That gave me a chuckle. The ITAT AU board has fumed with frustration each time a good RB or LB has signed with us, because we're so loaded that, in their opinion, the kid will ride the pine for a while when he could come to AU and play right away (FWIW)...
    It actually would not surprise me to see him transfer - hopefully not there but to somewhere he could contribute. He is one of those kids that really is not a great fit as a regular here. Good athlete - just not great fit here.

Suspended
    My Mood
    Shocked on TideFans.com

Could Blake Sims be a starter one day, opinion.

He will never start at Alabama.

BamaNation First Team Alabama22's Avatar

I don't see Sims as the starter next year if McCarron leaves, or the year after for that matter. He's a very good athlete, but I'm not crazy about his throwing motion. However, I'm not the decision maker and haven't seen enough of Ely and none of Morris to even give an informative opinion. I totally trust our coaches to make that decision when it's time.
    Last edited by Alabama22; November 26th, 2012 at 10:35 PM.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    Just like Corey Grant?
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMan09's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alabama22 View Post
    I don't see Sims as the starter next year if McCarron leaves, or the year after for that matter. He's a very good athlete, but I'm not crazy about his throwing motion. However, I'm not the decision maker and haven't seen enough of Ely and none of Morris to even give an information opinion. I totally trust our coaches to make that decision when it's time.
    Exactly..I just don't see Sims being the starter after AJ..As others have stated..We'd have to go in a whole different system with Sims as QB..I just don't see it..That's not a a knock against Sims..We run a Pro Style offense..Not a spread run, zone type offense(or whatever you call it)..Should Coach Saban decide that's the direction he wants the offense to move towards..I won't question it & will support it 100%..As for Ely & Morris goes..We simply have no clue cause we haven't seen them in action..They're on scholarship for a reason & Coach Saban wouldn't give 'em one if he didn't think they were capable SEC type talent..

BamaNation All-American

I agree that Blake Sims will be a wildcat QB and move to RB.
    Life is short, ocassionally bend the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

The key for Sims' future playing time is developing as a pocket passer. Troy Smith did it within a pro-style offense at Ohio State. Just because a guy came in raw as an athlete at quarterback doesn't mean he can't develop into a good enough game manager to run the offense. WCU is the only time we gave him a legitimate shot of running the full offense and he looked further along as a passer than I expected.

I think it is still more likely Ely or Bateman take over if McCarron leaves after his eligibility expires. If McCarron - in my opinion, ill-advisedly - leaves early then Sims may be the best option as a stop gap. It is pretty telling that Ely didn't even attempt a pass in the WCU game...I think the gameplan seems to be to prepare Sims for the emergency option this year and possible starter next year.

We're a zone run team predominantly, so a zone read look isn't that far off from what we normally execute up front. Really, all we're doing is changing the numbers game for the defense by making the QB keep a possibility. In fact, most of the typical passing plays the "zone read heavy" teams use are already within our playbook. It is really a matter of Sims developing as a passer enough to maintain balance.

Quote Originally Posted by theballguy View Post
    Personally I worry about Sims being our #1. We need to be able to pass effectively else no matter what you do, the running game will dry up.
    I agree. Our offense becomes one dimmensional with Sims at QB.

BamaNation All-American Al A Bama's Avatar
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Just like Corey Grant?
    Hate to bring this up in this thread but since you mentioned it, did Corey Grant play last Saturday against Bama?
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give me Liberty, or give me Death!" Patrick Henry

Suspended
    My Mood
    Psychedelic on TideFans.com

Could Blake Sims be a starter one day, opinion

Nope.