Could Blake Sims be a starter one day, opinion.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
On a related note, our 2nd string OL looks pretty quick on those zone read plays.
You know, the major "wrap up job" the second and third stringers have gotten this year is huge toward the development of a new line next year that replaces at least 3 starters.

It's the beauty of getting a lead and then being able to sit on it late in the game with the subs getting pt.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Personally I worry about Sims being our #1. We need to be able to pass effectively else no matter what you do, the running game will dry up.
So are we in the same situation as 2009 where we all knew the real number 2 QB at the end of the season was the one red shirting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
So are we in the same situation as 2009 where we all knew the real number 2 QB at the end of the season was the one red shirting?
I believe the AJ mystery makes everything different and not as seamless if he leaves.

Some believe we play the 2nd string in the these blowouts, but it's mainly a collection of 3rd, 4th and players that have earned some Rudy time. Our true second string could have continued to score points.

Coach Saban did just about everything he could do to halt the offense towards the end of the game. Even Drake was too much of a threat.

That Drake seems to bust one every 5th time he touches the ball. Sometimes I feel that coach Saban is keeping him a secret to lock up the new recruits :). There is no doubt that if Drake keeps the fumbles down, stays in good standing, and blocks better, that he will wind up in the NFL. During the long run I think he would have scored if continued straight, which would have put us over the 55 point record. He could easily wind up 2nd string next year.

Last edited:

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
Don't think the OP was asking if he'd start when AJ is still in the program. AJ is the starter as long as he stays at Bama (barring injury of course), which is hopefully one more year.
I could probably have improved the comment by omitting the first self-evident sentence, but wanted to put Sims in context, it is a bit of a mystery as to Sims' exact role, either short term, long term, or even as AJ's backup. Will he get some short-yardage snaps or is that just a head-fake to give defenses something to worry about? Is he really AJs backup? Is he being prepared for next year? What is Ely's role? So very little is known.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Without the aid of a crystal ball or Taro cards I will predict Sims moves back to RB next year but brings a true wildcat threat to run the read option in situations.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I could probably have improved the comment by omitting the first self-evident sentence, but wanted to put Sims in context, it is a bit of a mystery as to Sims' exact role, either short term, long term, or even as AJ's backup. Will he get some short-yardage snaps or is that just a head-fake to give defenses something to worry about? Is he really AJs backup? Is he being prepared for next year? What is Ely's role? So very little is known.
Which makes the entire QB question a mystery and I guess why I posted this thread. AJ is supposed to leave after next season :) I doubt one QB in the 2012 class suspected anything other, or Jemeis Winston would probably be on the team wowing us at the end of the game Saturday.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Cooper Bateman will certainly red-shirt unless he is just spectacular. It is really a challenge for our coaching staff having underclassman leaving. I doubt Coach Saban was thinking that AJ would possible leave during the 2012 recruiting class, along with the recruits. If AJ was a senior I bet we would have snagged a top 10 QB in that class instead of this one. We might have an unexpected gap. Injuries can do that, but most pocket QB's stay fairly healthy these days.
During last year's recruiting process we still had Phillip Sims thus we didn't go after a really highly rated qb. The plus is that I think Nuss is a very good developer of OB's so I expect all of them to be much improved next fall.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
During last year's recruiting process we still had Phillip Sims thus we didn't go after a really highly rated qb. The plus is that I think Nuss is a very good developer of OB's so I expect all of them to be much improved next fall.
That's a good point. We are still in a pickle if AJ leaves, maybe a small pickle :)

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Best scenario, prolly not likely, AJ stays one more year, than hands off to one of the two RF QB's that are coming in next year. Regardless, the QB situation can't be worse than the barn's or the Tiger's last year

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I was just wondering (I know Coach is da Boss but) why Ely did not get in the Bama vs Barn game in the 4th quarter? Is he in Saban's "doghouse" or was Coach just trying to get Blake Sims ready for Georgia, if needed?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Best scenario, prolly not likely, AJ stays one more year, than hands off to one of the two RF QB's that are coming in next year. Regardless, the QB situation can't be worse than the barn's or the Tiger's last year
Actually from recent discussions it seems that AJ is possibly rethinking about going early and may be leaning toward staying which I hope would be good for him and us!

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I was just wondering (I know Coach is da Boss but) why Ely did not get in the Bama vs Barn game in the 4th quarter? Is he in Saban's "doghouse" or was Coach just trying to get Blake Sims ready for Georgia, if needed?
IDK, but it could be a combination of Sims fits what we need at that position while AJ is healthy, which is someone who can come in and help kill the clock.

And, it may be that CNS doesn't see Ely as a long term option with Morris and Bateman on the way after AJ.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I would love to see him (next year) play 15-20 plays/game as a combo back/wr/qb

Let him throw 5 times/game, run it 5, and go out in coverage 5-10/game

Might be an effective strategy

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
IDK, but it could be a combination of Sims fits what we need at that position while AJ is healthy, which is someone who can come in and help kill the clock.

And, it may be that CNS doesn't see Ely as a long term option with Morris and Bateman on the way after AJ.
I believe this is the reason in the Auburn game. Ely is a pocket QB, and we wanted to keep the ball on the ground, maybe scramble around, handoff. We only threw passes to keep the defense a little nit honest in order to run for a few 1st downs. Coach Saban imo, valued a shutout much more than 80-7. Plus it showed good character.

On side note, Coach Saban always shows good character other than a temper. Our country is screwy that once you are labeled, it sticks with you for life. We score 7 points after half mainly on offensive prevention. They even took Drake out when we got in the red zone.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I thought he showed some potential in the WCU game when they allowed him to still execute a balanced offense with the passing game. We were not really trying to run a true offense against Auburn when he came in...we were content with running the ball and he didn't really get many high-percentage passing opportunities when we did pass.

When they were mixing the pass and run on first and second down against WCU, he looked like a guy closer to a quarterback than a tailback at QB. It is hard to take much away given the competition in that game, but the throws didn't look bad.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I would have a hard time seeing B. Sims as an every-down QB in Saban's system. His throwing motion is just too long and ends in a release from about the three-quarter position. He'd almost certainly have a lot of fumbles and batted throws, not to mention the problems with accuracy that the motion causes.

A great wildcat QB. An excellent change of pace. A deadly runner. But unless we change to an Oregon-style system (and with Ely, Morris, and Bateman in the wings, wholly unsuited to running an Oregon setup, that ain't happening), he's just not a good enough passer to be the main guy.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
As mentioned earlier, after AJ leaves or graduates, if Sims proves to be our best option at QB, I think it will have to be a zone option read offense. Fortunately, the second string has been practicing this offense so it won't be a huge change. I think he could be an effective starter one day. I don't think SAban will make Morris, Ely, or Bateman the QB just because they are more of a pro-style QB. Whoever makes the best decisions, moves the ball, and doesn't turn it over will get the job. Regardless of the style of offense we run.

pyro

Suspended
Nov 9, 2004
Winchester TN
Without the aid of a crystal ball or Taro cards I will predict Sims moves back to RB next year but brings a true wildcat threat to run the read option in situations.

Excatly, Sims is a "wildcat, option, running" QB with just an average arm. As if he is a stater one day or not will largely depend on the type of game Saban chooses to run. If its a basic one, not that much, if its a wildcat one, yes.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.