Could Blake Sims be a starter one day, opinion.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
If AJ was suddenly absent, what do believe we would do. A combination of Ely and Blake? Defenses will immediately stack the box until Blake proves his arm. I was surprised that Ely didn't play at all, but I understand now that Blake fits what coach Saban was trying to do, run out the clock, keep the ball on the ground, maybe get a few 1st down. Blake fit that strategy better then Ely.

I am hoping that Cooper Bateman is the real deal, because I have no idea of the talent level of any pocket quarterback on the team. GMAC throwing a beautiful TD in the 08 Iron Bowl was comforting for the future. Let's hope that AJ stays healthy.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
He'll have to make vast improvements in the passing game so I really don't think so. He's simply an insurance policy for this season in my opinion.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I think he would do very well. We basically run a completely different offense when he's in the game to make him more of a weapon.

We really haven't seen exactly what he can really do because normally when he's in the game Coach S. has called off the dogs completely and sticks with the basics.

I'd like to see him with the full playbook at his disposal. I don't think he's the ideal QB for our offensive style of play but still, if needed, I think he could do pretty well.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I personally don't see the touch on high percentage passes. Blake will remain a wildcat QB imo, or a co-starter with Ely.

skipster63

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2010
Buchanan Dam
Morris has more top end potential. Will boil down to a question next year of which has a better handle. If Morris has a good handle, then he is he future qb. Sims will just be a change of pace from either Ely or Morris.

And i should add...Ely has a good handle. So read my comment as if Morris can catch up to Ely??, then Morris will be th QB next year. If not, I see Ely being it if AJ for some reason does not come back. JMO.

Last edited:

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
I arrived pretty early Saturday and focused on the QB's warming up. I noticed that the only 2 guys that seem to have a fluid throwing motion and a high degree of accuracy are AJ and Alex Morris. Morris also seems to have a big arm as well. Sims seems to struggle throwing the ball past about 30 yards. Not sure what Bateman will do but my money would be on Morris as our next qb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Morris has more top end potential. Will boil down to a question next year of which has a better handle. If Morris has a good handle, then he is he future qb. Sms will just be a change of pace from either Ely or Morris.
Cooper Bateman will certainly red-shirt unless he is just spectacular. It is really a challenge for our coaching staff having underclassman leaving. I doubt Coach Saban was thinking that AJ would possible leave during the 2012 recruiting class, along with the recruits. If AJ was a senior I bet we would have snagged a top 10 QB in that class instead of this one. We might have an unexpected gap. Injuries can do that, but most pocket QB's stay fairly healthy these days.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I arrived pretty early Saturday and focused on the QB's warming up. I noticed that the only 2 guys that seem to have a fluid throwing motion and a high degree of accuracy are AJ and Alex Morris. Morris also seems to have a big arm as well. Sims seems to struggle throwing the ball past about 30 yards. Not sure what Bateman will do but my money would be on Morris as our next qb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Watched Morris a little in warm ups and I agree he looks like an ideal pocket passer. He'll have an advantage over Bateman in terms of being in the program longer, but I hope that's not an issue if AJ comes back next year. Then the next year Morris and Bateman should battle it out in the spring to see who the next qb is to lead the Tide to future championships.

JMO, but I think Sims' role is to be a clock killer in a back up role. I don't think he fits the profile of what CNS/Nuss wants to be our offensive style.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Watched Morris a little in warm ups and I agree he looks like an ideal pocket passer. He'll have an advantage over Bateman in terms of being in the program longer, but I hope that's not an issue if AJ comes back next year. Then the next year Morris and Bateman should battle it out in the spring to see who the next qb is to lead the Tide to future championships.

JMO, but I think Sims' role is to be a clock killer in a back up role. I don't think he fits the profile of what CNS/Nuss wants to be our offensive style.
Agree, AJ staying another year would be like night and day with the QB situation. We have proven twice that we can win NC's with 1st year starters, but both had 2+ years in the program. A 3 way QB battle in 2014 would be great.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
IMO, yes....but it would take further overall of the offense than what we have seen. You'd have to have Yeldon and Drake have roles similar to Barner and Thomas at Oregon, and lots of involvement behind the LOS from guys like Cyrus Jones (slot guys) and only the occasional deep ball after safeties are playing in the box.

All of that said, would we do that? Likely not.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
IMO, yes....but it would take further overall of the offense than what we have seen. You'd have to have Yeldon and Drake have roles similar to Barner and Thomas at Oregon, and lots of involvement behind the LOS from guys like Cyrus Jones (slot guys) and only the occasional deep ball after safeties are playing in the box.

All of that said, would we do that? Likely not.
Agree. If we don't change the system with OC's it will take a lot to do so for a player.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I find it odd that he only attempted 1 pass against a terrible Auburn team over a period of 21 minutes when he replaced AJ.
Coach Saban must have been valuing the shutout over more points, which is the gentlemanly thing to do with that score, imo. Coach Saban fits us to a tee and knew this game was Chizic's last. As a fan I had blood lust at the time and wanted to score 70, but in retrospect am happy how it was handled.

Wasn't there 2, one that was a little hard over the middle and one that was nearly picked off? I can't tell if he was trying to throw it out of bounds or hit the receiver at the mark, but the DB had position.

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
Barring a catastrophe, it's AJ all the way. Perhaps they are playing Sims in trash time to show defenses that they have to prepare for him, or maybe he has earned it (Saban is big on playing guys who have worked hard). He certainly provides a completely different look to AJ. Next year, there will be the mother of all QB controversies as the new starter gets shaken out, from what I have seen that is unlikely to be Sims.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Would have liked to see Blake play with the 1's some on Saturday. Instead, it was just a mass substitution.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Barring a catastrophe, it's AJ all the way. Perhaps they are playing Sims in trash time to show defenses that they have to prepare for him, or maybe he has earned it (Saban is big on playing guys who have worked hard). He certainly provides a completely different look to AJ. Next year, there will be the mother of all QB controversies as the new starter gets shaken out, from what I have seen that is unlikely to be Sims.
Don't think the OP was asking if he'd start when AJ is still in the program. AJ is the starter as long as he stays at Bama (barring injury of course), which is hopefully one more year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.