Did Bill Oliver set a Precedent for all future Bama Coordinators offered by Auburn?

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Did Bill Oliver set a precedent for all future coordinators at Alabama offered positions at Auburn? Or is being offered the head coach an exception? The uniqueness of excepting a job at Auburn over any other school is that it largely diminishes your resume at Alabama in the minds of many fans, the people that you will continue to coexist with. Oliver's move showed that he automatic dislike and ridicule of the Auburn head coach and coordinators by Bama fans is stronger than the good feelings of past accomplishments at Alabama. You will forever be an Auburn man. Brother Oliver also demonstrated that if you flop there, you could have disdain from both sides. It's a gamble that will follow you, unless you leave the SEC imo. This is not al fans but the typical from what I've seen. I am atypical.

Case:
Bill Oliver had a pristine reputation with the fanbase considered a magnet for NC's after playing on an Alabama National Championship team, coaching the db's during the Coach Bryant's 2nd wind from 71-79 and later coming back as DC on the 92 team. When he was at Bama in any capacity, we were usually at the top. It's unfortunate that many Alabama fans now refer to him as Benedict Oliver, and have re branded him as a trader to this day. His relationship with the coaches is irrelevant to that segment, it's that he left Alabama to go to Auburn, that is his legacy over a remarkable career as one of the best DC's of all time.

Bill Oliver's story is so profound that I believe it has set a precedent and that you will never again see a Bama coordinator leave for Auburn, as head coach or coordinator. Anyone agree or disagree?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Re: Did Bill Oliver set a Precedant for all future Bama Coordinators offered by Aubur

I just can't imagine Kirby Smart, being a Dawg alum and long term Bama assistant, roaming the sidelines on the plains. If anybody hates Auburn more than us it's Georgia.

I know money talks, but it just doesn't seem like a good career move for KS right now IMO.

thetwonewguru

Suspended
Aug 11, 2006
Re: Did Bill Oliver set a Precedant for all future Bama Coordinators offered by Aubur

I wish Bill Oliver would have stayed at Alabama. He would have surely been the top choice after Stallings retired. Oliver would have been a much better hire compared to Mike Dubose. I think his ego got in the way. I know this won't be a popular statement but I think his defenses were better than Saban's. Seemed like we got more pressure on the QB during his stint and caused more turnovers. His defenses were so good at winning games and scoring points that we relied on the D so much it got us into trouble at times. i think that caused a big feud with liver and Stallings. Especially when Homer Smith came back. Gene just wouldn't let Homer do his thing.

jdhogg

Scout Team
Sep 16, 2009
HOMEWOOD

I can't see any of our assistants going to auburn until things begin to improve over there. No way Kirby Smart takes that job to be a puppet for dye, lowder, and whoever else has the "power" on the plains. Not to mention the looming NCAA issues.

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL

It's unfortunate that many Alabama fans now refer to him as Benedict Oliver, and have re branded him as a trader to this day.
I often refer to him as "Trader Bill". I once saw a werewolf drinking a Pina Colada in his bar. His hair was perfect.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

I just can't imagine Kirby Smart, being a Dawg alum and long term Bama assistant, roaming the sidelines on the plains. If anybody hates Auburn more than us it's Georgia.

I know money talks, but it just doesn't seem like a good career move for KS right now IMO.
I agree that regardless of anything else, it's not a good fit. They are going to get an offensive man imo. They still have visions of the spread when it worked, which was about 25% of the total time they ran it including the Franklin years.

It didn't stop Pat Dye.
Yes, he succeeded at Auburn.

luvthat_TIDE

All-SEC
Aug 10, 2004

I will forever be grateful for what Brother Bill did during his days at Bama (player and coach). That's all

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

I will forever be grateful for what Brother Bill did during his days at Bama (player and coach). That's all
That's how I feel, and to answer a question above indireclty, I do believe he cares what Bama fans think. It is pretty unrealistic to believe he is so Teflon as to not care one way or another how his fellow state citizens view and appreciated his vast accomplishments and hard work for the biggest attraction in the state. That's one of those John Wayne responses you so often get.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

It didn't stop Pat Dye.
Totally different set of circumstances back then IMO. Coaches stayed longer and the expectations would have been much lower in those days at Auburn.

Auburn is a dumpster fire and if KS values the idea of making a big splash into the head coaching arena I can't imagine him being able to do that at Auburn under these circumstances.

Im_on_dsp

All-SEC
Oct 10, 2007
Canton, GA

Coaches don't share the same emotions as fans. Coaching is a job and most of them will go anywhere that will further their career and I don't blame them. The coaching landscape is littered with people who have coached places considered "off limits" by the fans of the schools they either coached at or played at. Vince Dooley and Pat Dye are two quick ones that come to mind just looking at the AU/UGA combo.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL

Oilver was rumored to be working behind the scenes while Coach Stallings was still the coach trying to get the job. I think Stallings stayed one more year to make sure he didn't get it. I don't care who the coach is at au, when all of the ncaa stuff comes out, it will be a LONG while before they are relevant again. Who in their right mind would want to come in and compete with us at this time and be on probation?

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

Oilver was rumored to be working behind the scenes while Coach Stallings was still the coach trying to get the job. I think Stallings stayed one more year to make sure he didn't get it. I don't care who the coach is at au, when all of the ncaa stuff comes out, it will be a LONG while before they are relevant again. Who in their right mind would want to come in and compete with us at this time and be on probation?
A lot of the bad things about the relationship with Coach Stallings were magnified after the Auburn move. It ended up that Oliver was promised the job and coach Stalling decided to stay, so no one did anything bad I don't think.

If he had stayed, he would have been Alabama's coach. Maybe he could have done something about the rogue boosters, who knows.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Coaches don't share the same emotions as fans. Coaching is a job and most of them will go anywhere that will further their career and I don't blame them. The coaching landscape is littered with people who have coached places considered "off limits" by the fans of the schools they either coached at or played at. Vince Dooley and Pat Dye are two quick ones that come to mind just looking at the AU/UGA combo.
Which is why I said "I can't imagine" but I also added that I don't think it is a good move for KS right now due to other factors:

1. Coaching and recruiting against CNS
2. Looming NCAA sanctions
3. The power structure is still in place at Auburn based on Jacobs retaining his job and the 4 man search committee which will run through Pay Dye's approval.

Came back to edit "Pay Dye" but on second thought I'll let it stand.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

It's not just that he (Brother) and then went to Auburn, but the way he left . The problems he caused on staff before he left. He was supposedly, according to him, coach in waiting, before there was such a thing, that got tired of waiting. Parting shots may have caused mortal wounds to CGS Era at ALabama. There is more to the Brother Bill story than just him coaching at Auburn.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL

Coaches and players don't have the same loyalty fans do. (at least in today's world) Money talks. Anyone will coach anywhere at the right price.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

Didn't see your post. Yeah, have heard that CGS stayed just long enough for CBO to not get the Bama job. Remeber when people said No one wanted to coach at Alabama. Well, there seems to be a mushroom cloud over Auburn. They will have to hire a desperate, tainted coach or someone way off the radar.

Last edited:

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL

A lot of the bad things about the relationship with Coach Stallings were magnified after the Auburn move. It ended up that Oliver was promised the job and coach Stalling decided to stay, so no one did anything bad I don't think.

If he had stayed, he would have been Alabama's coach. Maybe he could have done something about the rogue boosters, who knows.
I hope all the folks that live to Hate our former coachs read this. Way to much politics around our program back then way to many know it all former players sticking their nose in everything & accountable for Nothing!

API is going thru it now, Who is really in charge? How can a coach turn around a program without control of at least who his asst coaches are?

Oliver did a lot for the Tide & I don't feel bad toward him one bit.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

Didn't see your post. Yeah, have heard that CGS stayed just long enough for CBO to not get the Bama job.
Agree and we dislike the Auburn coaches, and much of this stuff was brought out after he left. We would have never heard much about it if he had taken the head coaching job at Pop Corn State. And it falls in line with my original post that going to Auburn comes with this type of stuff. It's a gamble I would not take.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

Have to disagree. I heard , with my own ears him say he bleeds Crimson, but (complaint)....! that was way before he coached at Auburn. He was a distraction in the athletic building .Especially when there was no leadership in the AD chair at the time. I don't know a lot, but I do know that. Plus, after he went to Auburn, he jumped right in bed with their rogue booster and was a distraction on that staff. So I doubt he would stand up to any rogue booster in Tuscaloosa. I loved brother Bill. He was one of my Dad's favorite players, coaches and disappointments.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.