Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame lafella's Avatar

Regarding Coach Smart and future job opportunities or staying put

There has always been talk about who or when Coach Smart will be a head coach, I'm just wondering if Coach Smart is one of those people who may not want to take the next step up as a head coach?

I know it sounds preposterous but there are some great assistants that never made that move and stayed put as coordinators like Bud Foster and John Chavis. Sure if the right job mainly Georgia offered he'd go for it or if Coach Saban were to retire and Alabama offered, but do you think there's a possibility he chooses to stay a coordinator?

Just a thought.
    Hey Daddy why doesn't Auburn have a number beside their name? 5 year old son during the iron bowl.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American

Re: Regarding Coach Smart and future job opportunities or staying put

I can think of worse ways to make 900K per year.

My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

I don't see him taking the Auburn job or anything in the SEC West. Maybe the East but more likely I think he'd take a job in another conference entirely. But I honestly (and I really, really, really, really, really, really, really hope) think he'll stay at least one more year. Maybe two. Or three. PLEASE DON'T LEAVE US COACH SMART!!!!

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I think he does want a HC position. He's just gonna play it smart and wait for the right opportunity to open up. I'm sure CNS is giving him a lot of guidance and recommendations regarding what opportunity would be the "right" one.
    "If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters." - Alan K. Simpson

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I honestly feel like he may be our silent "coach in waiting". He could have had several jobs over the past few years and always stays with CNS. I think he also has seen what happened to Dooley up at ut and decided to be a lot more selective on if and when he leaves and where that might be.

BamaNation First Team

I am completely neutral as to whether he ends up being a coach in waiting, or whether he should go first to a mid-tier program to get some HC experience. I look at the disaster that has befallen McElwain, and I wonder how that plays out with other high-ranking assistants at Alabama. Ultimately, you want to make the move but you somehow want the expectations to be manageable while you bootstrap yourself into the new job. Or you can stay put.

My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

If he moves to a HC position, I hope it's out of the SEC. Then I can pull for him to win. Couldn't do that if he was in the conference unless it helps Bama for him to do so.
    Bamabww

BamaNation Second Team

I'm doubtful that he's a coach in waiting here for a more general reason: history suggests that such arrangements may not work out well in the long run for the one waiting.

BamaNation All-SEC Snuffy Smith's Avatar

I have heard that Smart has a "short list" of places he would go. I have no idea what schools are on it, but he really seems to be very picky about what opportunities he even entertains.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame GreatDanish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shottistyeti View Post
    I'm doubtful that he's a coach in waiting here for a more general reason: history suggests that such arrangements may not work out well in the long run for the one waiting.
    I am by no means an advocate of having a HCIW, but those who have had that title seem to be doing well - Chip Kelly, Jimbo Fisher, Will Muschamp, James Franklin... I think Dana Holgorsen was one also, but that was a weird situation all around. While he had a down year, they did win the Orange Bowl last year.
    It doesn't really seem to have any benefit for the schools who appoint them except to justify higher pay for an elite assistant.

My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Big A Re: Regarding Coach Smart and future job opportunities or staying put

Hope coach Smart stays a long time !!
    2014 Iron Bowl. Auburns play by play man's quote of Amari Cooper; " Auburn can't stop him, period. "

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by BamaRevT View Post
    Hope coach Smart stays a long time !!
    You and me both!

BamaNation All-American

I think Coach Smart does want a HC job. Since he already has a pretty sweet current job, no reason to rush into a HC job that isn't what he is looking for. I think he would rather take over a program that isn't in shambles and needs rebuilding. AU, Arkansas, and UK are all in shambles. UT isn't far behind--even though it is better now than when Dooley got there.

I think he should take over a program that has been successful and maybe its previous coach left to take a better job. A program like Louisville (if Strong takes an SEC job). TCU if Patterson is stolen away. Miss St. if Mullen is pulled away. etc.
    Gus Mahlzahn did this at Ark. St. and I think it worked out pretty well.