Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American REBELZED's Avatar

Re: Notre Dame Very Beatable

Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyIrish View Post
    None of the teams I listed are as good as your defense. But there are aspects of every team we have played that we have shut down. Speedy WR's in Dorsett, Lee, & Woods. Good RB's in Bell and Taylor. Yes, Lacy and Yeldon are much better, but that doesn't mean they will dominate the 2nd best scoring D in the country. Bell & Taylor have put up top numbers this year, albeit against worse defenses. Also beat a front 7 in Stanford (who, although slow, shut down the fastest team in the country).

I'm sure you have a group of solid guys at WR this year that are capable of making big plays. It sucks that the WR core has suffered a few injuries. I get that. But besides Cooper, no other WR has more than 4 catches on the year. It is to be seen how good the redshirt freshman Black will be, and maybe we will see this Saturday. McCarron is obviously lightyears ahead of Wittek, yet even when Woods and Lee got the ball, we held them to their lowest yards after the catch of their entire careers as CFB players. We had to give up a little in the run game to do that. I don't think we would need to do that against Bama or Georgia.

I want to face 'bama in the NCG, as do most ND fans. We want to beat the best. Again, I hope to talk matchups after this Saturday on here. It's an enticing game, and I think it may be closer than many in the SEC think.
    You have played teams with one aspect here and there, but you haven't played any with the speed, power, and size combo of Alabama OR Georgia. That's how teams like Bama and UGA win. Load up on the run? Get beat by a good QB/receivers. Sit back on the pass? Get gashed by great O lines and RB's. Oh yeah, and don't forget that your O has to move the ball against the Bama/UGA D too. What team ND has played with a competent offense? A 4 loss USC with a backup QB?

Have you looked at Alabama's receiving stats? There are 5 players with more than 4 catches, 4 of them with more than 18 catches.

Don't get me wrong, I think ND has a good team this year. I just don't think they are as good as Bama or UGA (or Florida, or A&M, or LSU, or USCe). Good thing is, we will find out. I just hope it's Bama that gets the shot.
    That's the paradox of success. The moment you stop to enjoy it, you are in trouble. You have to keep moving forward. It's not what you have done that's important. It's where you are going.
    Alabama Coach Nick Saban

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Second Team FriendlyIrish's Avatar

Sorry, I meant to include Norwood and Christian Jones in there. I know they are the vets. I thought I had written them. Anway, I can justify our schedule and the opponents we have faced all day. But its not SEC, so it probably will not register.

But really, if you want to look at it, the schedules are not incomparable. Our best opponent is Stanford (8th), whom we beat. Your best opponent is A&M, and it was your only loss. Our second best opponent is Oklahoma, whom we beat away, and yours is LSU, and you beat, away. Our 3rd best opponent is at USC, yours is neutral side against Michigan...

The list goes on. But there is no point in arguing that now. If you guys win this Saturday, it is matchups (and coaching). And we will obviously be big underdogs.

BamaNation All-American REBELZED's Avatar

Sorry, I meant to include Norwood and Christian Jones in there. I know they are the vets. I thought I had written them. Anway, I can justify our schedule and the opponents we have faced all day. But its not SEC, so it probably will not register.

But really, if you want to look at it, the schedules are not incomparable. Our best opponent is Stanford (8th), whom we beat. Your best opponent is A&M, and it was your only loss. Our second best opponent is Oklahoma, whom we beat away, and yours is LSU, and you beat, away. Our 3rd best opponent is at USC, yours is neutral side against Michigan...

The list goes on. But there is no point in arguing that now. If you guys win this Saturday, it is matchups (and coaching). And we will obviously be big underdogs.
    I think LSU and A&M both would route Stanford and I know they would both route Oklahoma this year. Regardless, we have one common opponent and I'm sure you know the difference in scores between our games...
    That's the paradox of success. The moment you stop to enjoy it, you are in trouble. You have to keep moving forward. It's not what you have done that's important. It's where you are going.
    Alabama Coach Nick Saban

Right. But that is a rivalry game. We have always been close with scUM. And honestly, our offense was nearly inept at the beginning of the season. And Golson didn't even play the second half of that game. We have had our fair share of close games this season, but have always found a way.

Golson is improving dramatically, and gives us an extra element that Rees never did. He plays much better on the road and in the spotlight. I think the scUM game is an attenuated comparison. Stanford v. LSU and A&M, I dont' really know. I know a lot about Stanford and much less about A&M.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

Right. I don't doubt that Mosley, Dickson and co. could neutralize in some sitations. But Eifert causes a matchup problem no matter what. Besides Chris Gragg, there really isn't any other TE's in SEC in top ten in CFB. Mayyybbee Lutzenkirchen, but not really. And with Arkansas passing attack this year, I don't think Bama has seen a player quite like Eifert. I'm not saying he's going to dominate, I'm just saying he causes matchup problems.
    Maybe TEs aren't elite in the SEC, is because they are ineffective in the SEC because of the defensive schemes that are there.

Most SEC TEs are blockers -- due to the speed at the DE positions....they are needed for protection.....

If you run 5 on the OL all game -- vs either Bama or UGA -- you will struggle. If you put your TE in frequent passing routes -- you will need another TE for blocking which reduces the number of WRs out -- which frees up the safeties....
    Raj: Excuse me, I can't be drinking, I'm about to make an important scientific discovery here!
    Howard:What? Galileo did his best work while drinking wine!
    Raj: How do you know that?
    Howard: He was Italian, it's a reasonable assumption.
    Raj: Dude, can you even open your mouth without saying a cultural stereotype?
    Howard: I'm sorry Galileo drank diet sprite!

Suspended
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

yeah, they will be 10 point underdogs to anyone they play in the championship game.

We first have to beat uga to have the opportunity.

Some teams just seem to have destiny on their side and the ball "bounces" their way. The barn was that way in 2010. ND is kind of like that this year. I am not saying that they cannot be beat, b/c I do believe we are a better team, but sometimes it is better to be lucky than good, and I don't think it is a given we will beat them.
    Roll Tide

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

There is a reason why the SEC has won six in a row (and 8 of the 14 BCSNCGs).

Iron sharpens iron! When you play the best throughout the year and then you get to rest and game plan for a month it usually equals victory over a team that didn't play as challenging a schedule against elite athletes all year long.

Irish, we know that a team with less talent (supposedly) can go in to the big game and come out with a victory, but if we are fortunate enough to get past Georgia, we are pretty excited about playing a team that many of us believe would lose 2 or 3 games in the SEC if "y'all" played here.

Suspended
    My Mood
    Festive on TideFans.com

From what I've seen ND only has two players that we would have to pay special attn to, 80 and 6.

"Ya'll" seem to forget that we have a harder SOS. I would rather take a grinding, difficult schedule with not ONE let up each week (besides a bye), than to play only the 3rd and 4th best teams in the SEC and have an moderate/easy schedule the rest of the year.

Against us, playing 2 good teams in the SEC and not good teams the rest of the year won't give you that big of an advantage. Your talent, experience in the big game, and Saban give you the advantage, but not your schedule. Couldn't say the same for Florida.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Jack Bourbon's Avatar
    My Mood
    Persnickety on TideFans.com

Well, ND was almost beaten by quite of few teams, some of whom are terrible. If ND struggles against Pitt and BYU, how can they expect to fare well against the SEC's best team?

BamaNation Hall of Fame Jack Bourbon's Avatar
    My Mood
    Persnickety on TideFans.com

"Ya'll" seem to forget that we have a harder SOS. I would rather take a grinding, difficult schedule with not ONE let up each week (besides a bye), than to play only the 3rd and 4th best teams in the SEC and have an moderate/easy schedule the rest of the year.

Against us, playing 2 good teams in the SEC and not good teams the rest of the year won't give you that big of an advantage. Your talent, experience in the big game, and Saban give you the advantage, but not your schedule. Couldn't say the same for Florida.
    The ND schedule is full of mediocre teams. These were not OU's, Michigan's, or even Stanford's top-notch units this year, by any stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Bourbon View Post
    Well, ND was almost beaten by quite of few teams, some of whom are terrible. If ND struggles against Pitt and BYU, how can they expect to fare well against the SEC's best team?
    I wish I had an answer, Jack. Against BYU, Golson was out with a concussion the entire game. Pitt, well, was a letdown game after Oklahoma. The best thing that came from that game is we played terribly for 3 quarters, came back from 20-6 deficit in the 4th, tied it up and caught a lucky break on a missed FG in 3OT. That is the most objective perspective I can give.

We have grinded it out for every game. We dominated teams on the road and played closer games at home. There is one more test, and that is to see if a team outside of the SEC can hang with you. I think we can, because we play great defense and run the football efficiently, and have a mobile, smart QB. It remains to be seen.

But to say they were overrated, I don't really understand. OU is 11, Stanford is ranked 8 and took off Oregon, and plays a ridiculously tough schedule. Really? Overrated??