Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Jack Bourbon's Avatar
    My Mood
    Persnickety on TideFans.com

Re: Notre Dame Very Beatable

I didn't say overrated, but I think the value assigned to ND wins over those teams is a little inflated due to those teams' longer-term reputations. I'd argue that the PAC-10 and Big-12 are not particularly deep this year, which might explain how those teams racked up the wins to be ranked in the top 10.

I'll be honest with you, I am with the crowd that believes that 5 out of our best 6 teams (Ala, LSU, A&M, Fla, Ga, SC) would beat anybody outside the league pretty consistently--Oregon, ND, KState included. And the next tier of teams, including Ole Miss, MSU, and Vandy (gasp) is pretty good as well.

Anyone can win the title game, but there's a reason SEC teams have been dominating the BCS. I can promise you no team in the conference has an easy schedule, regardless of where teams in various conferences are ranked. If anything, SEC teams seem to handily win title games because they appear more battle-tested than the opponent.

I'll add that the perception of the SEC's struggling powerhouses (Ark, Tenn, Aub) may be a little skewed too, as the top 6-9 teams in the conference have had a hand in their failures. The exception being Auburn, who is horrible.
    Last edited by Jack Bourbon; November 27th, 2012 at 02:42 PM.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyIrish View Post
    "Ya'll" seem to forget that we have a harder SOS. I would rather take a grinding, difficult schedule with not ONE let up each week (besides a bye), than to play only the 3rd and 4th best teams in the SEC and have an moderate/easy schedule the rest of the year.

Against us, playing 2 good teams in the SEC and not good teams the rest of the year won't give you that big of an advantage. Your talent, experience in the big game, and Saban give you the advantage, but not your schedule. Couldn't say the same for Florida.
    You've played 3 teams that are currently in the BCS top 25:

Stanford: 8
    Oklahoma: 11
    Michigan: 18

We've played:
    LSU: 7
    Tex. AM: 9
    Michigan: 18

Plus we'll play Georgia Saturday: 3

But the point I guess I'm making is the weekly SEC grind is something nobody else understands and the fact that 6 SEC teams are in the BCS top 10 means that the greatest collection of talent in football is in our conference.

Even the weaker SEC teams that finished around .500 in conference would be strong teams out of conference.

This is what I meant by "iron sharpens iron."

BTW, I think you are overstating the "no let up" in your schedule:

You've played: Navy, Purdue, BYU, Pittsburgh, Boston College and Wake Forest
    Last edited by BamaMoon; November 27th, 2012 at 02:53 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Jack Bourbon's Avatar
    My Mood
    Persnickety on TideFans.com

Michigan and Mich State are pretty far from stellar this year, too, as we witnessed first-hand with the former

BamaNation First Team

Irish, I appreciate the fact that you are here talking football (and making good sense) and not acting a fool! I love it.

As for the game...

I agree that it will be a challenge to beat ND. They seem to have that "team of destiny" thing going which really does matter when everyone associated with the program believes the way y'all are believing right now.

ND's defense is for real and it will be hard to score. I think Bama and Georgia have more offensive balance than anyone you have faced yet.

ND's offense is where you will struggle. There are some big plays to be made with Golson and Eifert but I think ND will have to be able to grind out long time-consuming drives to beat either Bama or UGA. Otherwise, if you can't keep our O off the field, that vaunted D will be worn completely out by the 4th quarter. Hey, it's what we do.

I think we beat UGA 34-24 and then with a month to prepare I think we beat ND 34-17. I think the ND game could be something like 20-17 going into the 4th with Bama scoring two late TDs as the D wears down.

-Sully

Jack, I think you and I are whistling the same tune.

Irish, I will give credit where I think credit is due: You've persevered and won games because I do think you have great team chemistry. That is important. And even though I obviously don't like ND, it is good to see "y'all" in the mix again. But there is a reason most non-SEC teams in the last few years have gotten steamrolled against the SEC in the NCG.

BamaNation All-American REBELZED's Avatar

Navy, 6-6 Purdue, 6-6 Michigan State, Michigan (who Bama crushed 41-14), 7-5 Miami, Stanford (good), 7-5 BYU, Oklahoma (far from the OK teams of the past), a TERRIBLE Pitt team, 2-10 BC, 5-7 Wake Forest, 7-4 USC with a backup QB

If that's your definition of a "grinding, difficult schedule" I'm not sure what to tell you
    That's the paradox of success. The moment you stop to enjoy it, you are in trouble. You have to keep moving forward. It's not what you have done that's important. It's where you are going.
    Alabama Coach Nick Saban

BamaNation Second Team FriendlyIrish's Avatar

I don't really know how to respond to the bottom half of the SEC. The top 7 of the SEC have gone 44-12 this year. The bottom 7, on the other hand, have gone 12-44, and you have lost 3 coaches already (I'm not googling this, but I'm pretty sure that is correct). I am not willing to agree that the bottom half of the SEC would be successful out of conference. There is a big difference between talking about SEC "talent" vs. how a team executes in games. The top 7 of the SEC has some of the best coaches and units in CFB. Yet, it is difficult to say the bottom half is even close to that. Granted they are playing better teams in the top half, but each bottom half SEC team has lost absolutely terrible games. Does that show SEC depth, or does it show top teams in the SEC playing everyone else in top half, losing once or twice, then beating up on bad bottom half teams?

At the time we played every game on our schedule, we didn't go more than 3 games without playing a top 20 Sagarin team. In November, the average opponent for Georgia was Sagarin 70. After UM, you guys didn't play anyone in top 30 of Sagarin for the next 7 games. I'll say that going to LSU and winning is something that probably no other team in CFB could do, so maybe not playing top teams each week doesn't apply to you. My point is that we have not had a down week, besides BC and Wake. And IMO, Wake beats many teams in bottom half of SEC, and blows any FCS school off the field.

The greatest collection of talent is in the SEC. No doubt. But the stats show our schedule is more difficult. We were not nearly as good when we played Michigan than we are now. Golson didn't even play his first full game until Oklahoma, then got pulled against Pitt, than played Wake for the full game.
    Last edited by FriendlyIrish; November 27th, 2012 at 03:50 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame cbi1972's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

What would Notre Dame's record be if they played in the SEC? Probably not 12-0.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere
    "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet, I've no right buying tobacco. " - Grandpa Joe

Quote Originally Posted by cbi1972 View Post
    What would Notre Dame's record be if they played in the SEC? Probably not 12-0.
    Fine. But I don't think its 9-3, either. And no one in SEC is undefeated, so I don't really see where this can go.

BamaNation Hall of Fame cbi1972's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Fine. But I don't think its 9-3, either. And no one in SEC is undefeated, so I don't really see where this can go.
    Well the top half of the SEC is good company. You will find out in January who you best compare to.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere
    "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet, I've no right buying tobacco. " - Grandpa Joe

BamaNation First Team Im_on_dsp's Avatar

And IMO, Wake beats many teams in bottom half of SEC, and blows any FCS school off the field.
    Wake is one of the worst teams in D1. They got crushed by Vanderbilt. I think they could handle Auburn and Kentucky but against anyone else in the SEC they would go down. Their only wins were against some of the other bottom dwellars in D1 and the scores were all close.

Take a look at Miss. State's year. Started 7-0 and then hit a buzz saw in their next three games and limped in at 8-4. They lost their last game to Ole Miss who went 3-5 in the conference.

Ole Miss and Miss State (along with Vandy) are the kind of teams that are the middle of the conference. Most years replace them with Arkansas, Auburn and Tennessee and you can see what we deal with annually.

I think if the Irish played an SEC schedule this year (let's just say Bama's) they'd be 10-2 right now with losses to LSU and TAMU.

Don't think anybody is saying the Irish are a bad team I just think we like what we see in a match up with y'all.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    Take a look at Miss. State's year. Started 7-0 and then hit a buzz saw in their next three games and limped in at 8-4. They lost their last game to Ole Miss who went 3-5 in the conference.

Ole Miss and Miss State (along with Vandy) are the kind of teams that are the middle of the conference. Most years replace them with Arkansas, Auburn and Tennessee and you can see what we deal with annually.

I think if the Irish played an SEC schedule this year (let's just say Bama's) they'd be 10-2 right now with losses to LSU and TAMU.

Don't think anybody is saying the Irish are a bad team I just think we like what we see in a match up with y'all.
    Miss State had wins over Jackson St, Auburn, Troy, South Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee and Midd. Ten. before you played them. Their only other win was against Arkansas. They got blown out by every other team, except I guess the 17 pt. loss to Ole Miss ... Miss. St. is not a good football team.

You guys should like a matchup with anyone in the big game. No doubt. But assuming you get by UGA, which I hope you do (for selfish reasons, want to beat the best), I think it will be a good game. I'm happy ND is back on top, and I think we have some good years ahead of us. Our D line is from TX, GA, FL, with a SC qb and SoCal talent. We have some good pipelines. It's exciting to be an ND fan right now, and I hope we can perform on Jan. 7th.