Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    BamaNation Second Team

Re: Notre Dame Very Beatable

Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyIrish View Post
    I wish I had an answer, Jack. Against BYU, Golson was out with a concussion the entire game. Pitt, well, was a letdown game after Oklahoma. The best thing that came from that game is we played terribly for 3 quarters, came back from 20-6 deficit in the 4th, tied it up and caught a lucky break on a missed FG in 3OT. That is the most objective perspective I can give.

We have grinded it out for every game. We dominated teams on the road and played closer games at home. There is one more test, and that is to see if a team outside of the SEC can hang with you. I think we can, because we play great defense and run the football efficiently, and have a mobile, smart QB. It remains to be seen.

But to say they were overrated, I don't really understand. OU is 11, Stanford is ranked 8 and took off Oregon, and plays a ridiculously tough schedule. Really? Overrated??
    I'll give credit where credit is due because you do have a fine football team. However, the ONLY reason you came back from 20-6 against Pitt was with the help of the official who threw that PHANTOM interference flag on 4th and 4. If not for that flag it was game over.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

JMO, but If you play Georgia and Bama's schedule you are 10-2.

Miss. State, TAMU and USCe schedule you are 9-3.

Florida, Ole Miss and LSU you are 8-4.

On the other hand, IMO, Bama, Georgia, TAMU, LSU, Florida and possibly USCe are all undefeated playing your schedule.

BamaNation First Team Stonewall1959's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

The thing I see with Notre Dame is that they are catching all the breaks this year, much like we did in 2009. Yes, the phantom PI call in the Pitt game was huge, but also Pitt missing an easy chip shot field goal to win in was huge. Again, a lot like the TN game for us in '09. Catching USC with a freshman QB playing his first game is another example.

I worry about teams that have things going their way and ND seems to have it right now.

What Bama does have going for it is that, if we get past Georgia, Saban will have a month to game plan for the Irish. I think CNS is the best in the nation when he has that kind of time to work on a game plan.

Also, Bama's recent experience in national championship games will be huge and that's not a factor that Notre Dame can simulate in any way.

BamaNation Second Team FriendlyIrish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stonewall1959 View Post
    The thing I see with Notre Dame is that they are catching all the breaks this year, much like we did in 2009. Yes, the phantom PI call in the Pitt game was huge, but also Pitt missing an easy chip shot field goal to win in was huge. Again, a lot like the TN game for us in '09. Catching USC with a freshman QB playing his first game is another example.

I worry about teams that have things going their way and ND seems to have it right now.

What Bama does have going for it is that, if we get past Georgia, Saban will have a month to game plan for the Irish. I think CNS is the best in the nation when he has that kind of time to work on a game plan.

Also, Bama's recent experience in national championship games will be huge and that's not a factor that Notre Dame can simulate in any way.
    4 of ND's past coaches won their NC in their 3rd year...

Giving Saban time is a worry for any team. But with what Diaco has done with our D this year, I think (and many others) that he is a genius. Everett Golson isn't going to be nervous - he thrives in the spotlight and wants it all on him. He consistently has played better away from home and in big games.

We have gotten a few breaks this year. To go undefeated, it is almost necessary. With a tough schedule its going to happen. I think that coming back in big games and getting the breaks is helpful to the team in the long run. I don't expect any of you to know this, but last year everything that could possibly have gone wrong for us in the big games, it did. And I mean everything.

I don't think we are a team of destiny. I think we are a team that deserves to be where we are. It seems that with every big win we have had, the teams are viewed as overrated after we beat them. Said we would get beat by Stanford - we won. Many, even here, said we would get SMOKED by OU - we dominated them and won by three possessions. LSU barely escaped Arkansas last week, but no one is saying that your win over LSU was not as good as it really was. I don't think it wasn't as good as it was. I think it was great and not many other teams could beat LSU in Deaht Valley, even though it was a win on the last play.

BamaNation Hall of Fame cbi1972's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

I don't think we are a team of destiny. I think we are a team that deserves to be where we are. It seems that with every big win we have had, the teams are viewed as overrated after we beat them.
    Alabama gets this too. Alabama-Michigan is hyped throughout the off-season, but when Alabama dismantles Michigan, they're not good anymore.

Said we would get beat by Stanford - we won. Many, even here, said we would get SMOKED by OU - we dominated them and won by three possessions.
    Oklahoma is like Florida State. Just when you think they are ready to beat someone good, they lay an egg. Hopefully Georgia honors this tradition again this week.

LSU barely escaped Arkansas last week, but no one is saying that your win over LSU was not as good as it really was. I don't think it wasn't as good as it was. I think it was great and not many other teams could beat LSU in Deaht Valley, even though it was a win on the last play.
    It wasn't on the last play. LSU had a possession to answer, but the Bama D got the required stops.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere
    "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet, I've no right buying tobacco. " - Grandpa Joe

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

4 of ND's past coaches won their NC in their 3rd year...

Giving Saban time is a worry for any team. But with what Diaco has done with our D this year, I think (and many others) that he is a genius. Everett Golson isn't going to be nervous - he thrives in the spotlight and wants it all on him. He consistently has played better away from home and in big games.

We have gotten a few breaks this year. To go undefeated, it is almost necessary. With a tough schedule its going to happen. I think that coming back in big games and getting the breaks is helpful to the team in the long run. I don't expect any of you to know this, but last year everything that could possibly have gone wrong for us in the big games, it did. And I mean everything.

I don't think we are a team of destiny. I think we are a team that deserves to be where we are. It seems that with every big win we have had, the teams are viewed as overrated after we beat them. Said we would get beat by Stanford - we won. Many, even here, said we would get SMOKED by OU - we dominated them and won by three possessions. LSU barely escaped Arkansas last week, but no one is saying that your win over LSU was not as good as it really was. I don't think it wasn't as good as it was. I think it was great and not many other teams could beat LSU in Deaht Valley, even though it was a win on the last play.
    First off, Friendly, I appreciate the civil discourse and good discussion about our teams. You may know already, but many Bama fans have tremendously long memories, and pretty much despise the Irish for a couple of games in the 1960s.

The bolded part above is something that we have plenty of experience with, especially over the last couple of years. That is a natural reaction from fans of other teams who could not do what your team has done.

As for the ND team this year, you really can't argue with an undefeated 12-0 regular season - as stated by many others, it does take some breaks, maybe some luck, and a heck of a lot of good play by your team. You should be happy about that, as I'm sure you are.

By the way, our 2009 national championship was in Saban's 3rd year, so we all understand that you are in a good place to win. It just so happens that if we get past Georgia, most of us will believe we are in a better position to win based on past experience of our players and coaching staff.

Welcome to the board!

BamaNation First Team

IF we get past Georgia this Saturday, the key matchup against ND would be in the trenches, particularly, our Offensive Line against their Defensive Line. I've watched all of ND's games this year, and their entire defensive front will play in the NFL, and Nix and Tuitt will likely be first rounders in the 2014 draft. They have arguably the best defensive line in the country, but with that said, they'd be going against our OL which has potentially 3-4 future first rounders. Big Louis Nix against Jones and/or Warmack, and Tuitt, depending where he lines up, against Fluker or Cyrus would be awesome battles.

Looking at their wideouts, they're sort of like us, the 3-4 guys they shift in and out all bring something different to the table, and Golson is comfortable distributing the ball to each and every one of them. Albeit, their group isn't as talented as ours. Eifert is a stud, and it would be interesting to see how a guy like Square can jam him at the LOS if he's not flexed out wide, and how our LB's adjust to his athleticism and ability to run fluid routes. No team has really been able to stop Eifert when he flexes out wide, and I think Smart would need to think long and hard on who to match up on Eifert when he flexes out.

Of course, this all means nothing if we don't beat UGA this Saturday.

BamaNation Second Team FriendlyIrish's Avatar

Thanks for all of the welcomes. I'd say Bama gets the same "they were overrated" a little bit. But you also have the benefit of being in the SEC and beating SEC teams no matter what. That has been earned, for sure, but its a privilege.

You will justifiably believe you are in a better spot to win, and so will Vegas. We will be 10 point dogs.

And I am young, but aware of the past history with 'bama and the Irish. I'm not going to start getting into past NC/bowl game talk. That's above my pay grade and I'm well aware of where I am posting.

I hope you smoke Georgia. From an outsider's perspective, I don't see how they can stop your run. UGA is middle of the road in rushing in SEC. If Bama can isolate and stay away from Jenkins, I'd say we will have plenty of days to talk about the NCG while Lacy and Co. go for 250 yards rushing.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GulfCoastTider's Avatar
    My Mood
    Ornery on TideFans.com

Notre Dame's defense is the real deal.

Their offense looks a lot like LSU's.

O'Brien likes to run the football and he likes to stop the run. That's how you win college football games. Heck, that's how you win football games, period.

WHEN we play the Irish for the BCSCG, it's going to be a slobber-knocker.
    “Lamar Thomas has got it, he's on his way down the sidelines... George Teague runs him down! He took the ball away!!! HE'S GOT THE BALL!!!"

Thread deleted by SavannahDare
    Reason: Dude! Coach Saban would sooner die than tweet.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Notre Dame Very Beatable

Only one word comes to mind, duh...