Notre Dame Very Beatable

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
"Ya'll" seem to forget that we have a harder SOS. I would rather take a grinding, difficult schedule with not ONE let up each week (besides a bye), than to play only the 3rd and 4th best teams in the SEC and have an moderate/easy schedule the rest of the year.

Against us, playing 2 good teams in the SEC and not good teams the rest of the year won't give you that big of an advantage. Your talent, experience in the big game, and Saban give you the advantage, but not your schedule. Couldn't say the same for Florida.
You've played 3 teams that are currently in the BCS top 25:

Stanford: 8
Oklahoma: 11
Michigan: 18

We've played:
LSU: 7
Tex. AM: 9
Michigan: 18

Plus we'll play Georgia Saturday: 3

But the point I guess I'm making is the weekly SEC grind is something nobody else understands and the fact that 6 SEC teams are in the BCS top 10 means that the greatest collection of talent in football is in our conference.

Even the weaker SEC teams that finished around .500 in conference would be strong teams out of conference.

This is what I meant by "iron sharpens iron."

BTW, I think you are overstating the "no let up" in your schedule:

You've played: Navy, Purdue, BYU, Pittsburgh, Boston College and Wake Forest

Last edited:

BamaSully

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Jackson, TN
Irish, I appreciate the fact that you are here talking football (and making good sense) and not acting a fool! I love it.

As for the game...

I agree that it will be a challenge to beat ND. They seem to have that "team of destiny" thing going which really does matter when everyone associated with the program believes the way y'all are believing right now.

ND's defense is for real and it will be hard to score. I think Bama and Georgia have more offensive balance than anyone you have faced yet.

ND's offense is where you will struggle. There are some big plays to be made with Golson and Eifert but I think ND will have to be able to grind out long time-consuming drives to beat either Bama or UGA. Otherwise, if you can't keep our O off the field, that vaunted D will be worn completely out by the 4th quarter. Hey, it's what we do.

I think we beat UGA 34-24 and then with a month to prepare I think we beat ND 34-17. I think the ND game could be something like 20-17 going into the 4th with Bama scoring two late TDs as the D wears down.

-Sully

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Jack, I think you and I are whistling the same tune.

Irish, I will give credit where I think credit is due: You've persevered and won games because I do think you have great team chemistry. That is important. And even though I obviously don't like ND, it is good to see "y'all" in the mix again. But there is a reason most non-SEC teams in the last few years have gotten steamrolled against the SEC in the NCG.

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
Navy, 6-6 Purdue, 6-6 Michigan State, Michigan (who Bama crushed 41-14), 7-5 Miami, Stanford (good), 7-5 BYU, Oklahoma (far from the OK teams of the past), a TERRIBLE Pitt team, 2-10 BC, 5-7 Wake Forest, 7-4 USC with a backup QB

If that's your definition of a "grinding, difficult schedule" I'm not sure what to tell you

FriendlyIrish

3rd Team
Nov 22, 2012
I don't really know how to respond to the bottom half of the SEC. The top 7 of the SEC have gone 44-12 this year. The bottom 7, on the other hand, have gone 12-44, and you have lost 3 coaches already (I'm not googling this, but I'm pretty sure that is correct). I am not willing to agree that the bottom half of the SEC would be successful out of conference. There is a big difference between talking about SEC "talent" vs. how a team executes in games. The top 7 of the SEC has some of the best coaches and units in CFB. Yet, it is difficult to say the bottom half is even close to that. Granted they are playing better teams in the top half, but each bottom half SEC team has lost absolutely terrible games. Does that show SEC depth, or does it show top teams in the SEC playing everyone else in top half, losing once or twice, then beating up on bad bottom half teams?

At the time we played every game on our schedule, we didn't go more than 3 games without playing a top 20 Sagarin team. In November, the average opponent for Georgia was Sagarin 70. After UM, you guys didn't play anyone in top 30 of Sagarin for the next 7 games. I'll say that going to LSU and winning is something that probably no other team in CFB could do, so maybe not playing top teams each week doesn't apply to you. My point is that we have not had a down week, besides BC and Wake. And IMO, Wake beats many teams in bottom half of SEC, and blows any FCS school off the field.

The greatest collection of talent is in the SEC. No doubt. But the stats show our schedule is more difficult. We were not nearly as good when we played Michigan than we are now. Golson didn't even play his first full game until Oklahoma, then got pulled against Pitt, than played Wake for the full game.

Last edited:

Im_on_dsp

All-SEC
Oct 10, 2007
Canton, GA
And IMO, Wake beats many teams in bottom half of SEC, and blows any FCS school off the field.
Wake is one of the worst teams in D1. They got crushed by Vanderbilt. I think they could handle Auburn and Kentucky but against anyone else in the SEC they would go down. Their only wins were against some of the other bottom dwellars in D1 and the scores were all close.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Take a look at Miss. State's year. Started 7-0 and then hit a buzz saw in their next three games and limped in at 8-4. They lost their last game to Ole Miss who went 3-5 in the conference.

Ole Miss and Miss State (along with Vandy) are the kind of teams that are the middle of the conference. Most years replace them with Arkansas, Auburn and Tennessee and you can see what we deal with annually.

I think if the Irish played an SEC schedule this year (let's just say Bama's) they'd be 10-2 right now with losses to LSU and TAMU.

Don't think anybody is saying the Irish are a bad team I just think we like what we see in a match up with y'all.

FriendlyIrish

3rd Team
Nov 22, 2012
Take a look at Miss. State's year. Started 7-0 and then hit a buzz saw in their next three games and limped in at 8-4. They lost their last game to Ole Miss who went 3-5 in the conference.

Ole Miss and Miss State (along with Vandy) are the kind of teams that are the middle of the conference. Most years replace them with Arkansas, Auburn and Tennessee and you can see what we deal with annually.

I think if the Irish played an SEC schedule this year (let's just say Bama's) they'd be 10-2 right now with losses to LSU and TAMU.

Don't think anybody is saying the Irish are a bad team I just think we like what we see in a match up with y'all.
Miss State had wins over Jackson St, Auburn, Troy, South Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee and Midd. Ten. before you played them. Their only other win was against Arkansas. They got blown out by every other team, except I guess the 17 pt. loss to Ole Miss ... Miss. St. is not a good football team.

You guys should like a matchup with anyone in the big game. No doubt. But assuming you get by UGA, which I hope you do (for selfish reasons, want to beat the best), I think it will be a good game. I'm happy ND is back on top, and I think we have some good years ahead of us. Our D line is from TX, GA, FL, with a SC qb and SoCal talent. We have some good pipelines. It's exciting to be an ND fan right now, and I hope we can perform on Jan. 7th.

BamaSam1

Scout Team
Dec 12, 2011
I wish I had an answer, Jack. Against BYU, Golson was out with a concussion the entire game. Pitt, well, was a letdown game after Oklahoma. The best thing that came from that game is we played terribly for 3 quarters, came back from 20-6 deficit in the 4th, tied it up and caught a lucky break on a missed FG in 3OT. That is the most objective perspective I can give.

We have grinded it out for every game. We dominated teams on the road and played closer games at home. There is one more test, and that is to see if a team outside of the SEC can hang with you. I think we can, because we play great defense and run the football efficiently, and have a mobile, smart QB. It remains to be seen.

But to say they were overrated, I don't really understand. OU is 11, Stanford is ranked 8 and took off Oregon, and plays a ridiculously tough schedule. Really? Overrated??
I'll give credit where credit is due because you do have a fine football team. However, the ONLY reason you came back from 20-6 against Pitt was with the help of the official who threw that PHANTOM interference flag on 4th and 4. If not for that flag it was game over.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
JMO, but If you play Georgia and Bama's schedule you are 10-2.

Miss. State, TAMU and USCe schedule you are 9-3.

Florida, Ole Miss and LSU you are 8-4.

On the other hand, IMO, Bama, Georgia, TAMU, LSU, Florida and possibly USCe are all undefeated playing your schedule.

Stonewall1959

2nd Team
Oct 5, 2005
Macon, Georgia
The thing I see with Notre Dame is that they are catching all the breaks this year, much like we did in 2009. Yes, the phantom PI call in the Pitt game was huge, but also Pitt missing an easy chip shot field goal to win in was huge. Again, a lot like the TN game for us in '09. Catching USC with a freshman QB playing his first game is another example.

I worry about teams that have things going their way and ND seems to have it right now.

What Bama does have going for it is that, if we get past Georgia, Saban will have a month to game plan for the Irish. I think CNS is the best in the nation when he has that kind of time to work on a game plan.

Also, Bama's recent experience in national championship games will be huge and that's not a factor that Notre Dame can simulate in any way.

FriendlyIrish

3rd Team
Nov 22, 2012
The thing I see with Notre Dame is that they are catching all the breaks this year, much like we did in 2009. Yes, the phantom PI call in the Pitt game was huge, but also Pitt missing an easy chip shot field goal to win in was huge. Again, a lot like the TN game for us in '09. Catching USC with a freshman QB playing his first game is another example.

I worry about teams that have things going their way and ND seems to have it right now.

What Bama does have going for it is that, if we get past Georgia, Saban will have a month to game plan for the Irish. I think CNS is the best in the nation when he has that kind of time to work on a game plan.

Also, Bama's recent experience in national championship games will be huge and that's not a factor that Notre Dame can simulate in any way.
4 of ND's past coaches won their NC in their 3rd year...

Giving Saban time is a worry for any team. But with what Diaco has done with our D this year, I think (and many others) that he is a genius. Everett Golson isn't going to be nervous - he thrives in the spotlight and wants it all on him. He consistently has played better away from home and in big games.

We have gotten a few breaks this year. To go undefeated, it is almost necessary. With a tough schedule its going to happen. I think that coming back in big games and getting the breaks is helpful to the team in the long run. I don't expect any of you to know this, but last year everything that could possibly have gone wrong for us in the big games, it did. And I mean everything.

I don't think we are a team of destiny. I think we are a team that deserves to be where we are. It seems that with every big win we have had, the teams are viewed as overrated after we beat them. Said we would get beat by Stanford - we won. Many, even here, said we would get SMOKED by OU - we dominated them and won by three possessions. LSU barely escaped Arkansas last week, but no one is saying that your win over LSU was not as good as it really was. I don't think it wasn't as good as it was. I think it was great and not many other teams could beat LSU in Deaht Valley, even though it was a win on the last play.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I don't think we are a team of destiny. I think we are a team that deserves to be where we are. It seems that with every big win we have had, the teams are viewed as overrated after we beat them.
Alabama gets this too. Alabama-Michigan is hyped throughout the off-season, but when Alabama dismantles Michigan, they're not good anymore.

Said we would get beat by Stanford - we won. Many, even here, said we would get SMOKED by OU - we dominated them and won by three possessions.
Oklahoma is like Florida State. Just when you think they are ready to beat someone good, they lay an egg. Hopefully Georgia honors this tradition again this week.

LSU barely escaped Arkansas last week, but no one is saying that your win over LSU was not as good as it really was. I don't think it wasn't as good as it was. I think it was great and not many other teams could beat LSU in Deaht Valley, even though it was a win on the last play.
It wasn't on the last play. LSU had a possession to answer, but the Bama D got the required stops.

kayakerjess

All-American
Sep 9, 2005
Colorado
4 of ND's past coaches won their NC in their 3rd year...

Giving Saban time is a worry for any team. But with what Diaco has done with our D this year, I think (and many others) that he is a genius. Everett Golson isn't going to be nervous - he thrives in the spotlight and wants it all on him. He consistently has played better away from home and in big games.

We have gotten a few breaks this year. To go undefeated, it is almost necessary. With a tough schedule its going to happen. I think that coming back in big games and getting the breaks is helpful to the team in the long run. I don't expect any of you to know this, but last year everything that could possibly have gone wrong for us in the big games, it did. And I mean everything.

I don't think we are a team of destiny. I think we are a team that deserves to be where we are. It seems that with every big win we have had, the teams are viewed as overrated after we beat them. Said we would get beat by Stanford - we won. Many, even here, said we would get SMOKED by OU - we dominated them and won by three possessions. LSU barely escaped Arkansas last week, but no one is saying that your win over LSU was not as good as it really was. I don't think it wasn't as good as it was. I think it was great and not many other teams could beat LSU in Deaht Valley, even though it was a win on the last play.
First off, Friendly, I appreciate the civil discourse and good discussion about our teams. You may know already, but many Bama fans have tremendously long memories, and pretty much despise the Irish for a couple of games in the 1960s.

The bolded part above is something that we have plenty of experience with, especially over the last couple of years. That is a natural reaction from fans of other teams who could not do what your team has done.

As for the ND team this year, you really can't argue with an undefeated 12-0 regular season - as stated by many others, it does take some breaks, maybe some luck, and a heck of a lot of good play by your team. You should be happy about that, as I'm sure you are.

By the way, our 2009 national championship was in Saban's 3rd year, so we all understand that you are in a good place to win. It just so happens that if we get past Georgia, most of us will believe we are in a better position to win based on past experience of our players and coaching staff.

Welcome to the board!

RammerJammer91

1st Team
Nov 27, 2012
IF we get past Georgia this Saturday, the key matchup against ND would be in the trenches, particularly, our Offensive Line against their Defensive Line. I've watched all of ND's games this year, and their entire defensive front will play in the NFL, and Nix and Tuitt will likely be first rounders in the 2014 draft. They have arguably the best defensive line in the country, but with that said, they'd be going against our OL which has potentially 3-4 future first rounders. Big Louis Nix against Jones and/or Warmack, and Tuitt, depending where he lines up, against Fluker or Cyrus would be awesome battles.

Looking at their wideouts, they're sort of like us, the 3-4 guys they shift in and out all bring something different to the table, and Golson is comfortable distributing the ball to each and every one of them. Albeit, their group isn't as talented as ours. Eifert is a stud, and it would be interesting to see how a guy like Square can jam him at the LOS if he's not flexed out wide, and how our LB's adjust to his athleticism and ability to run fluid routes. No team has really been able to stop Eifert when he flexes out wide, and I think Smart would need to think long and hard on who to match up on Eifert when he flexes out.

Of course, this all means nothing if we don't beat UGA this Saturday.

FriendlyIrish

3rd Team
Nov 22, 2012
Thanks for all of the welcomes. I'd say Bama gets the same "they were overrated" a little bit. But you also have the benefit of being in the SEC and beating SEC teams no matter what. That has been earned, for sure, but its a privilege.

You will justifiably believe you are in a better spot to win, and so will Vegas. We will be 10 point dogs.

And I am young, but aware of the past history with 'bama and the Irish. I'm not going to start getting into past NC/bowl game talk. That's above my pay grade and I'm well aware of where I am posting.

I hope you smoke Georgia. From an outsider's perspective, I don't see how they can stop your run. UGA is middle of the road in rushing in SEC. If Bama can isolate and stay away from Jenkins, I'd say we will have plenty of days to talk about the NCG while Lacy and Co. go for 250 yards rushing.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.