Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BamaNation First Team
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

Offensive play calling for Georgia game

I think it is reasonable to say that play calling this year has been at both ends of the spectrum - brilliant and questionable. In going back and reading about Nussmeier's three years as OC at Washington, I was surprised to learn that he didn't call the plays - head coach Steve Sarkisian was Washington's play-caller.
    Has this impacted play calling this year? Is Nussmeier's background as a QB the reason why he seems prone to passing? What can we expect Saturday in Atlanta? Is Nussmeier solely responsible for what plays are run or are other assistants/Saban involved in the play calling?
    Roll Tide

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

Re: Offensive play calling for Georgia game

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaTide57 View Post
    I think it is reasonable to say that play calling this year has been at both ends of the spectrum - brilliant and questionable. In going back and reading about Nussmeier's three years as OC at Washington, I was surprised to learn that he didn't call the plays - head coach Steve Sarkisian was Washington's play-caller.
    Has this impacted play calling this year? Is Nussmeier's background as a QB the reason why he seems prone to passing? What can we expect Saturday in Atlanta? Is Nussmeier solely responsible for what plays are run or are other assistants/Saban involved in the play calling?
    Roll Tide
    I'm guessing the plays are well scripted -- Coach Saban wants it to be even.
    Raj: Excuse me, I can't be drinking, I'm about to make an important scientific discovery here!
    Howard:What? Galileo did his best work while drinking wine!
    Raj: How do you know that?
    Howard: He was Italian, it's a reasonable assumption.
    Raj: Dude, can you even open your mouth without saying a cultural stereotype?
    Howard: I'm sorry Galileo drank diet sprite!

Pass on 1st, run on 2nd. It's incredibly easy to predict. I hope he changes it up against UGA but if he didn't against LSU I don't know why he would now. I'm sure UGA knows that tendency and will be prepared.

I'm not terribly confident about this game due to our offensive predictability and the defenses inability to pressure the QB.

BamaNation All-American BamaFlum's Avatar
    My Mood
    Festive on TideFans.com

Offensive play calling for Georgia game

Quote Originally Posted by JIB View Post
    Pass on 1st, run on 2nd. It's incredibly easy to predict. I hope he changes it up against UGA but if he didn't against LSU I don't know why he would now. I'm sure UGA knows that tendency and will be prepared.

I'm not terribly confident about this game due to our offensive predictability and the defenses inability to pressure the QB.
    Did we do that primarily the last two weeks? I seem to recall more run plays on first down against the barn.
    RTR!

I have more than 100% faith in Coach Saban. Lessons were learned all the way around with A&M. CNS isn't letting this one slip. I think we'll see a lot of running the ball.

My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Dang! Game hasn't even been played and folks already complaining!

Overall Bama called 10 1st down passes and 9 1st down runs in the first half. However, 3 of those runs were on first and goal. When Bama did run on first down, which was mostly in the second quarter (I'm not including anything after halftime), the runs were very effective. Eddie had first down runs of 23 yards, 15 yards and 6 yards. TJ had a first down carry for 7 yards. It seemed when they ran on 1st down it was very effective.

A guy sitting in front of me wondered why not just run the ball until they stop it.

Maybe CDN will change it up against UGA like CJM did against LSU, but with a run first mentality this time instead of pass first.

BamaNation All-American

Overall Bama called 10 1st down passes and 9 1st down runs in the first half. However, 3 of those runs were on first and goal. When Bama did run on first down, which was mostly in the second quarter (I'm not including anything after halftime), the runs were very effective. Eddie had first down runs of 23 yards, 15 yards and 6 yards. TJ had a first down carry for 7 yards. It seemed when they ran on 1st down it was very effective.

A guy sitting in front of me wondered why not just run the ball until they stop it.

Maybe CDN will change it up against UGA like CJM did against LSU, but with a run first mentality this time instead of pass first.
    The only thing predictable about the play calling this saturday is that it will be unpredictable.
    Life is short, ocassionally bend the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

BamaNation First Team Stonewall1959's Avatar
    My Mood
    Festive on TideFans.com

Got to think on the statement about the offense, but am very concerned about the lack of pressure on the QB. LSU and A&M picked us apart with 3 or more seconds to set and throw. Murray is that kind of QB as well. If he has time, he'll destroy our secondary. However, he tends to get rattled if he gets hit a few times. Been a Bama fan for a long time now, and we have got to expect that Murray will probably have the game of his life against us. Don't they all? I see Bama's one big weakness as the lack of a real pass rusher this year.

BamaNation All-American OreBama's Avatar
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

It's not about playcalling. It is about execution. No team is perfect, but our players and coaches have done a great job so far this year.
    Pronounced as or-e-bama not Obama.

Or Chris, if you prefer.

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I'm not sure it's as much about play calling as it is about execution...
    Missed assignments and lack of focus by a few players have hurt us
    against LSU and TAMU. That and we appeared flat during both games.
    The loss to TAMU may have woke up a couple of guys, because they are
    now playing with an urgency.

I'm sure it's been emphasized lately that we play one game at a time.
    Beat Georgia and we earn the next game... Just that simple.
    Look ahead and we loose.

To be fair, there are a lot of us who grew up on the theory that, if you're running it successfully, you run it until they stop it. The last few games, there's just no way you can fit that with what we've been doing. As long as the run is working, you just don't pull up and pass just to prove you can. It's very frustrating...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    To be fair, there are a lot of us who grew up on the theory that, if you're running it successfully, you run it until they stop it. The last few games, there's just no way you can fit that with what we've been doing. As long as the run is working, you just don't pull up and pass just to prove you can. It's very frustrating...
    Yep. I'm hoping we threw more against auburn just to get AJ some work since he only threw 6 passes the week before. A&M is another story, especially on that last possession at the 6 yard line (I'm not going to get started on those play calls). My problem with the passing game is that it can get disjointed from our bread and butter running game. Our new OC doesn't seem to want to call a PA pass (finally did a few times against the barn with tremendous success). The PA pass with a successful running game is lights out for an undisciplined defense and I think UGA can get undisciplined.