Offensive play calling for Georgia game

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
On the drive where Barrett lost his shoe when we were at the 2 or 3 yard line, we did something I haven't seen us do all year long: We went hurry up with 3 or 4 running plays and Lacy gashed them every time.

It was a thing of beauty and had the center not lost his shoe we would have gone hurry up on the rushing td the next play.

I think that was added to give Georgia something else to think about and the long term goal of that is to probably set up a pass over the top using PA.

I thought it was a nice wrinkle.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
On the drive where Barrett lost his shoe when we were at the 2 or 3 yard line, we did something I haven't seen us do all year long: We went hurry up with 3 or 4 running plays and Lacy gashed them every time.

It was a thing of beauty and had the center not lost his shoe we would have gone hurry up on the rushing td the next play.

I think that was added to give Georgia something else to think about and the long term goal of that is to probably set up a pass over the top using PA.

We definitely had them on their heels at that point. I hated to see the timeout when Barrett blew a tire - but I understand not wanting to put the ball in the hands of a freshman center at that point in the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

Since our game with LSU they have continued to run no huddle/hurry. They had so much success with it against us they have continued to use it with success. We've had success with it. It seem every time we go to it something positive happens. We get into a good flow and pick up a few first downs, keep our defense on the sidelines and the opponent's defense on the field.

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011
i like the hurry up rushing game myself...maybe a bit more Pistol would be nice? UGA has some real difficulty (although they shouldn't given their talent on that side of the ball) stopping the run so if we can get the run game going then the play action pass game should break open nicely.

kayakerjess

All-American
Sep 9, 2005
Colorado
Honestly, I don't think we can look at what our tendencies were against Auburn as an accurate prediction about how we will approach Georgia. AU is just awful, and we could have run Ben Howell all game and still beat them soundly. I do agree with the "run until they stop it" approach, but my guess is that Georgia will be able to stop it and force us to throw.

Like others, my concern is our inability to get consistent pressure on the QB, even when we do blitz. HaHa and Vinnie haven't had much success in getting to the QB quickly enough on the blitz. As we know, there are holes in our secondary like we haven't seen in a couple of years, and Murray is good enough to find the openings if he has time.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
Granted UGA likely played down to Kentucky, UK had success on draws and screens out of the gun- using UGAs undisciplined speed against them. We ran the draw out of the gun several times against Awburn in the 2nd half.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Listening to Eli & Phil at the game this weekend they pointed out a tendency I am sure others have noticed. Every time we cross the 50 we take a shot at the long one on the next play. I wonder if we mix that up a bit the next 2 games?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Gary correctly predicted a deep pass after Bama crossed the 50. The pass was incomplete, but he called a PA bomb, which is what AJ did.

Like others noted, Bama has gone hurry up more in recent weeks. I commented in one of the game threads that I noticed that the offense seems to be incorporating things that give our defense some problems, such as the hurry up. Things like this only make the offense more versatile and better. Saban commented post game about the hurry up:

Up-tempo offense: Alabama used an up-tempo offensive attack Saturday, and Saban said the Crimson Tide ran it well.

“We had a good plan,” he said. “We went a little up-tempo to avoid having bad plays and everybody did a good job of executing.

“AJ McCarron especially getting us in the right play and the offensive line making the right adjustments, to get a hat on a hat. We were effective running, had pretty good protection most of the time when we threw it. We made some explosive plays both ways. I think the offensive line contributed to that significantly.”
I would not be surprised if we continue to use the hurry up in a similar fashion that Chip Kelly uses it. Oregon uses the hurry up offense when they know the defense is on its heels. That is what Bama should do. After a few runs/quick passes, go hurry up and causes Georgia to burn a timeout or end up with more than 11 players on the field.

CapeHorn

Scout Team
Aug 22, 2012
I don't care what we do as long as we beat them to a point where they never want to play us again.

BAMA1979

All-American
Nov 15, 2006
Mobile
Pass on 1st, run on 2nd. It's incredibly easy to predict. I hope he changes it up against UGA but if he didn't against LSU I don't know why he would now. I'm sure UGA knows that tendency and will be prepared.

I'm not terribly confident about this game due to our offensive predictability and the defenses inability to pressure the QB.
...and if the 1st down pass is incomplete a 2nd down running play occurs 100% of the time.

Highway59

1st Team
Jan 29, 2009
In Alabama off "highway59"
I'm not as concerned with the offense and the play calling as I am concerned with the ability knock Murray off his feet multiple times. I didn't see the game between Georgia and South Carolina, but a quote from the NY Times was this

"For the game, Murray completed only 11 of 31 passes and was routinely beaten like a piñata."

If we are able to do this to Mr. Murray, then I believe we will win going away. If not, well I could see this being a Lswho type of game with more points scored. I know everybody says they like to have a good, close, and hard fought game...... But I'd be good with them, Jawja, rolling over and playing dead like them awbrums did. ;)

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
Someone could get hurt running the hurry up. Alabama success is based on being physically better than the other team. Trouble comes when that other team has equal talent. I hope the play calling utilizes the talents on the field because UGA matches up well.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.