Offensive play calling for Georgia game

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia
I think it is reasonable to say that play calling this year has been at both ends of the spectrum - brilliant and questionable. In going back and reading about Nussmeier's three years as OC at Washington, I was surprised to learn that he didn't call the plays - head coach Steve Sarkisian was Washington's play-caller.
Has this impacted play calling this year? Is Nussmeier's background as a QB the reason why he seems prone to passing? What can we expect Saturday in Atlanta? Is Nussmeier solely responsible for what plays are run or are other assistants/Saban involved in the play calling?
Roll Tide

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I think it is reasonable to say that play calling this year has been at both ends of the spectrum - brilliant and questionable. In going back and reading about Nussmeier's three years as OC at Washington, I was surprised to learn that he didn't call the plays - head coach Steve Sarkisian was Washington's play-caller.
Has this impacted play calling this year? Is Nussmeier's background as a QB the reason why he seems prone to passing? What can we expect Saturday in Atlanta? Is Nussmeier solely responsible for what plays are run or are other assistants/Saban involved in the play calling?
Roll Tide
I'm guessing the plays are well scripted -- Coach Saban wants it to be even.

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
Pass on 1st, run on 2nd. It's incredibly easy to predict. I hope he changes it up against UGA but if he didn't against LSU I don't know why he would now. I'm sure UGA knows that tendency and will be prepared.

I'm not terribly confident about this game due to our offensive predictability and the defenses inability to pressure the QB.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Pass on 1st, run on 2nd. It's incredibly easy to predict. I hope he changes it up against UGA but if he didn't against LSU I don't know why he would now. I'm sure UGA knows that tendency and will be prepared.

I'm not terribly confident about this game due to our offensive predictability and the defenses inability to pressure the QB.
Did we do that primarily the last two weeks? I seem to recall more run plays on first down against the barn.

WaterWoman

1st Team
Nov 25, 2011
I have more than 100% faith in Coach Saban. Lessons were learned all the way around with A&M. CNS isn't letting this one slip. I think we'll see a lot of running the ball.

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
Overall Bama called 10 1st down passes and 9 1st down runs in the first half. However, 3 of those runs were on first and goal. When Bama did run on first down, which was mostly in the second quarter (I'm not including anything after halftime), the runs were very effective. Eddie had first down runs of 23 yards, 15 yards and 6 yards. TJ had a first down carry for 7 yards. It seemed when they ran on 1st down it was very effective.

A guy sitting in front of me wondered why not just run the ball until they stop it.

Maybe CDN will change it up against UGA like CJM did against LSU, but with a run first mentality this time instead of pass first.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
Overall Bama called 10 1st down passes and 9 1st down runs in the first half. However, 3 of those runs were on first and goal. When Bama did run on first down, which was mostly in the second quarter (I'm not including anything after halftime), the runs were very effective. Eddie had first down runs of 23 yards, 15 yards and 6 yards. TJ had a first down carry for 7 yards. It seemed when they ran on 1st down it was very effective.

A guy sitting in front of me wondered why not just run the ball until they stop it.

Maybe CDN will change it up against UGA like CJM did against LSU, but with a run first mentality this time instead of pass first.
The only thing predictable about the play calling this saturday is that it will be unpredictable.

Stonewall1959

2nd Team
Oct 5, 2005
Macon, Georgia

Got to think on the statement about the offense, but am very concerned about the lack of pressure on the QB. LSU and A&M picked us apart with 3 or more seconds to set and throw. Murray is that kind of QB as well. If he has time, he'll destroy our secondary. However, he tends to get rattled if he gets hit a few times. Been a Bama fan for a long time now, and we have got to expect that Murray will probably have the game of his life against us. Don't they all? I see Bama's one big weakness as the lack of a real pass rusher this year.

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
It's not about playcalling. It is about execution. No team is perfect, but our players and coaches have done a great job so far this year.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I'm not sure it's as much about play calling as it is about execution...
Missed assignments and lack of focus by a few players have hurt us
against LSU and TAMU. That and we appeared flat during both games.
The loss to TAMU may have woke up a couple of guys, because they are
now playing with an urgency.

I'm sure it's been emphasized lately that we play one game at a time.
Beat Georgia and we earn the next game... Just that simple.
Look ahead and we loose.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
To be fair, there are a lot of us who grew up on the theory that, if you're running it successfully, you run it until they stop it. The last few games, there's just no way you can fit that with what we've been doing. As long as the run is working, you just don't pull up and pass just to prove you can. It's very frustrating...

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
To be fair, there are a lot of us who grew up on the theory that, if you're running it successfully, you run it until they stop it. The last few games, there's just no way you can fit that with what we've been doing. As long as the run is working, you just don't pull up and pass just to prove you can. It's very frustrating...
Yep. I'm hoping we threw more against auburn just to get AJ some work since he only threw 6 passes the week before. A&M is another story, especially on that last possession at the 6 yard line (I'm not going to get started on those play calls). My problem with the passing game is that it can get disjointed from our bread and butter running game. Our new OC doesn't seem to want to call a PA pass (finally did a few times against the barn with tremendous success). The PA pass with a successful running game is lights out for an undisciplined defense and I think UGA can get undisciplined.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
I don't mind the passing on first down as long as its a high percentage one. See championship game last year. The obj is to get a positive play setting up short yardage on second down where you can do anything you want re: run or pass. Problem this year is incomplete throws on first down have led to short runs on second down leaving longer 3rd downs resulting in to many 3 and outs.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Listening to Eli & Phil at the game this weekend they pointed out a tendency I am sure others have noticed. Every time we cross the 50 we take a shot at the long one on the next play. I wonder if we mix that up a bit the next 2 games?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I'm OK with passing the ball, but doing something for the sake of doing it isn't good. I hope that whatever we do is "purposeful" and "strategic". If you are going to go "vertical" then mix it up with "horizontal". IMO - when we ran the "Triple - Option" that pitch was a pass.

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama
Since Coach Saban is somewhat notorious as a control freak, and I've never seen him without headphones on the sideline, I suspect the plays Nussmeier has called meet with his full approval. Remember, we run Saban's offense, not Nussmeier's.

Jack Bourbon

Hall of Fame
Aug 3, 2001
Miami FL
I agree with above. You run to set up the pass. You pass to set up the run. When you've proven you can do both, you run til they prove they can stop it.

crimsonman38

Scout Team
Jun 12, 2003
Holly Pond, AL
If I am thinking right, and please correct me if I am wrong. I do notice Coach Burns in the press box with Coach Nuss. I for one really think CBB and CDN are putting their heads together to come up with the plays that are called. Also, the one other thing I noticed in the Auburn game is that our defense played it closed to the hip. Not alot of blitz packages called. I do expect us to run right at Jarvis Jones alot and not let him make alot of plays from behind, and defensively I expect to see some complicated blitz packages to confuse Aaron Murray.

Just my two cents worth

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.