Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BamaNation First Team Im_on_dsp's Avatar

Re: Only a fool would take the Auburn job (CBS News Article)

But none has the cache of Auburn, a school that has won two national titles and three Heisman trophies and in time will win more of each. Football is too important at Auburn. The facilities, the support, the salary -- they'll always be right.
    Mmmmmm. More national titles?????? I guess IN TIME.....like another 50 years maybe.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame uafan4life's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

That sounds an awful lot like what I was saying a week or two ago about the barn's situation regarding whether or not they should fire Chizik.

I thought they would have been better off to keep Chizik for one more year. That would give them the chance to sell an "improving" team - they couldn't be worse next year than this year - instead of one that's sinking like a rock. That would most likely give them a whole season - or more - to look for and court a new head coach. That would likely give them some resolution to the current NCAA investigation, rather than having it as an unknown hanging up in the air. That would give them another (likely losing) year between the National Championship and the firing of Chizik, making the firing look less hasty. That would also almost certainly give them less competition for the "best" coaches available than they'll have this year.

Yes, they would be sacrificing next year. However, they would be sacrificing next year in order to be able to hire a much better coach a year from now than they will be able to hire right now. If you follow the "the team fully buys into the system of a good coach in the third year" theory, then that 'should' give the barn a good shot at the 10-win season - and legitimately competing for the SEC West - in four years.

I don't think that, right now, they'll be able to hire a coach that will be able to turn the barn into a top-tier team in the SEC West - much less a team capable of actually winning the SEC - over the next four years. Given the seemingly and, I think, realistically highly unrealistic expectations of both the barn's fans as well as the administration, I think that they've got about a 75% chance of being right back in a similar situation as the one they're in now: not really competing in the SEC West, unhappy with the progress of their team, and looking for a new coach.

I honestly think that the barn would have been able to have a legitimate shot a being a 10-win team in 4-5 years if they waited a year to find, court, and hire a good coach that is a good fit for their program. By firing Chizik now, while having to at least rush a little bit through the hiring process due to the other coaching searches going on the the SEC and the South, I honestly believe that they have sentenced themselves to at least 7-8 years of mediocrity.

Not that I'm complaining.
    I have yet to figure out why common sense and common courtesy are called common.
    - Unknown

I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you've earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money.
    - Thomas Sowell

My Mood
    Cynical on TideFans.com

Considering what they will have to pay, there will be plenty of 'fools' lining up to take it.

Well, I don't think UT or Arky will touch Petrino with a 10' pole, and I think the barn is desperate enough to do it...
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. 2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

One problem in their hiring not mentioned in the article is the constant meddling in the program. He may not even know about it. They talked to better coaches than Chiz last time, but he was the only one who would let them dictate the staff. Who wants a job where the guy whom the field is named after has an office down the hall from yours and insists on having a representative at all staff meetings? It'll have to be a discard like Chiz (or Petrino, a discard for a different reason), or a strong guy who knows how the system works and thinks he can manage it. The only one I can think of for the latter category would be Fisher, who I keep hearing is very unhappy at FSU, mostly for personal reasons. When they finally make their hire, I'm going to be very interested in the makeup of the staff. If Taylor hangs around, they'll have another failure on their hands, NCAA or not...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

BamaNation All-SEC Snuffy Smith's Avatar

Only a fool would take the Auburn job (CBS News Article)

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    ... If Taylor hangs around, they'll have another failure on their hands, NCAA or not...
    If they are still in denial about Trooper's role in their off field issues, player attitude and general disarray of the entire program I am good with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation First Team Im_on_dsp's Avatar

The only one I can think of for the latter category would be Fisher, who I keep hearing is very unhappy at FSU, mostly for personal reasons.
    I can't imagine life being any better in Auburn. My sister-in-law lives there and can't stand it. If it weren't for her husband being from there and somewhat elderly she would be out of there in a heartbeat. They spend all their time at the beach or in the mountains. I would never live there unless I was homeless and they were giving out free ones.

BamaNation All-American bamabelle1991's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

One problem in their hiring not mentioned in the article is the constant meddling in the program. He may not even know about it. They talked to better coaches than Chiz last time, but he was the only one who would let them dictate the staff. Who wants a job where the guy whom the field is named after has an office down the hall from yours and insists on having a representative at all staff meetings? It'll have to be a discard like Chiz (or Petrino, a discard for a different reason), or a strong guy who knows how the system works and thinks he can manage it. The only one I can think of for the latter category would be Fisher, who I keep hearing is very unhappy at FSU, mostly for personal reasons. When they finally make their hire, I'm going to be very interested in the makeup of the staff. If Taylor hangs around, they'll have another failure on their hands, NCAA or not...
    Fisher went on the record yesterday saying he is "off the market" and that he is very happy at FSU. Is this just a smoke screen?

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy Smith View Post
    If they are still in denial about Trooper's role in their off field issues, player attitude and general disarray of the entire program I am good with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm good with keeping The Troopah. The biggest thing that will change on the plains is the name of the head coach.
    Life is short, ocassionally bend the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

BamaNation All-American

I think their lack of effort is indicative of the fact that the players have dirt on the coaches. Hard to keep discipline when a subordinate has dirt on you.
    Honey Badger can take what the Tide gives him and like it.

Loved this part of the article:
    Sharing a conference with Nick Saban is like sharing a steak with a lion. Only one of you wins that battle. And it's not you.

Quote Originally Posted by bamabelle1991 View Post
    Fisher went on the record yesterday saying he is "off the market" and that he is very happy at FSU. Is this just a smoke screen?
    I guess the only answer is "who the hell knows?" He may be off the market and just using AU for a raise and more power (we've certainly been used that way). Or, as you say, it may just be a smoke screen. I hear his wife and family want out of FSU and back to AU. TIFWIW...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

BamaNation First Team Stonewall1959's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Im_on_dsp View Post
    I can't imagine life being any better in Auburn. My sister-in-law lives there and can't stand it. If it weren't for her husband being from there and somewhat elderly she would be out of there in a heartbeat. They spend all their time at the beach or in the mountains. I would never live there unless I was homeless and they were giving out free ones.
    I lived there for a year because my wife (at the time) was going to nursing school there and I'd found a really good job. I just can't relate the experience to you very well on this forum because I can't seem to talk about it without cursing. I blame it on being young and stupid. Let's just say that one day a miracle happened and an old employer of mine called me out of the blue and offered me a promotion and a raise if I'd come back to work for him in my home town of Enterprise.

I was gone in a week.