News Article: Only a fool would take the Auburn job (CBS News Article)

TriCountyTider

All-American
Aug 7, 2012
Re: Auburn Coaching Search. Must Read!!!

" Trying to find a coach smart enough to compete with Nick Saban -- without finding a coach dumb enough to think he actually can. "

the truth hurts!! :cool:
Indeed that was the definition of a burn! I didn't LoL. I DELOL'D(Dr. Evil laughed out loud)

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
On a side note, my brother and I were talking and we were thinking about how rough it will be the coach at AU.

Think about it - AU truly recruits in three areas, not nationally like us - Florida, Georgia, and Alabama. Normally, there's enough athletes to spare.

But now UGA is flying high, even higher than before. Recruiting will be tough there.
UF is back to the top of the SEC East, and FSU is looking good. Florida will soon be a tough sell.
Alabama is locked up by, well, Alabama. The absolute best recruits from this state pretty much have always gone with the Tide, save years of NCAA troubles, and now it's not uncommon for us to get 10 of the top 12 athletes from the state.

Auburn is going to be the hardest job to slide into in the SEC. They'll probably hunt for someone "just good enough" to get by for now, and wait until Saban retires.

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
The author may be a willing candidate....
That Tennessee job is no joke. Neither is the one at Arkansas. North Carolina State and California also are attractive positions. But none has the cache of Auburn...
I wasn't an English major, but I believe the word he wanted to use is cachet. And the concept of the barn having cachet is laughable. Maybe he did mean cache, as in the barn has a cache of money and steaks to give to their players.

Staring at each other from 160 miles away, fans of both schools expecting to beat the other. Beating the other means competing for SEC and national titles, but that's just an added benefit. The most important thing in the state, if you're an Alabama fan, is to beat Auburn. And if you're an Auburn fan, it's beating Alabama.
Wrong. Beating the barn is certainly enjoyable, but conference and national titles are not an added benefit; they are the goal for Alabama. Alabama doesn't have 22 SEC titles and 14 National titles because of an obsession with the barn.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Well, I disagree...I think the NCAA investigation will play a huge part in the selection process. Francheesy only used Bama as a stepping stone; looks very good on a resume, didn't work out too well for him, though. A cautionary tale for anyone wanting the job at the Barn.
And there goes another fruitcake talking about the "tradition" at the Barn..."tradition" of what, cow-tipping? Being tied for third place (soon to be tied for 2nd) on the list of the most penalized NCAA athletic departments? Please...

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Guz Malzahn's wife is a fool, does that count? I really believe this is their man. He has the perfect personality for the job, a little bit sleazy and from listening to his wife he does not have problems letting others wear the pants. He could bring them 8 win seasons and an occasional 10 win if he gets one of the rare dual threats that are good in the clutch.

Just a snippet for old time sake, I slowed it down a tad for full effect :cool2:

Im_on_dsp

All-SEC
Oct 10, 2007
Canton, GA
But none has the cache of Auburn, a school that has won two national titles and three Heisman trophies and in time will win more of each. Football is too important at Auburn. The facilities, the support, the salary -- they'll always be right.
Mmmmmm. More national titles?????? I guess IN TIME.....like another 50 years maybe.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
That sounds an awful lot like what I was saying a week or two ago about the barn's situation regarding whether or not they should fire Chizik.

I thought they would have been better off to keep Chizik for one more year. That would give them the chance to sell an "improving" team - they couldn't be worse next year than this year - instead of one that's sinking like a rock. That would most likely give them a whole season - or more - to look for and court a new head coach. That would likely give them some resolution to the current NCAA investigation, rather than having it as an unknown hanging up in the air. That would give them another (likely losing) year between the National Championship and the firing of Chizik, making the firing look less hasty. That would also almost certainly give them less competition for the "best" coaches available than they'll have this year.

Yes, they would be sacrificing next year. However, they would be sacrificing next year in order to be able to hire a much better coach a year from now than they will be able to hire right now. If you follow the "the team fully buys into the system of a good coach in the third year" theory, then that 'should' give the barn a good shot at the 10-win season - and legitimately competing for the SEC West - in four years.

I don't think that, right now, they'll be able to hire a coach that will be able to turn the barn into a top-tier team in the SEC West - much less a team capable of actually winning the SEC - over the next four years. Given the seemingly and, I think, realistically highly unrealistic expectations of both the barn's fans as well as the administration, I think that they've got about a 75% chance of being right back in a similar situation as the one they're in now: not really competing in the SEC West, unhappy with the progress of their team, and looking for a new coach.

I honestly think that the barn would have been able to have a legitimate shot a being a 10-win team in 4-5 years if they waited a year to find, court, and hire a good coach that is a good fit for their program. By firing Chizik now, while having to at least rush a little bit through the hiring process due to the other coaching searches going on the the SEC and the South, I honestly believe that they have sentenced themselves to at least 7-8 years of mediocrity.

Not that I'm complaining. :biggrin:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
One problem in their hiring not mentioned in the article is the constant meddling in the program. He may not even know about it. They talked to better coaches than Chiz last time, but he was the only one who would let them dictate the staff. Who wants a job where the guy whom the field is named after has an office down the hall from yours and insists on having a representative at all staff meetings? It'll have to be a discard like Chiz (or Petrino, a discard for a different reason), or a strong guy who knows how the system works and thinks he can manage it. The only one I can think of for the latter category would be Fisher, who I keep hearing is very unhappy at FSU, mostly for personal reasons. When they finally make their hire, I'm going to be very interested in the makeup of the staff. If Taylor hangs around, they'll have another failure on their hands, NCAA or not...

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
... If Taylor hangs around, they'll have another failure on their hands, NCAA or not...
If they are still in denial about Trooper's role in their off field issues, player attitude and general disarray of the entire program I am good with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im_on_dsp

All-SEC
Oct 10, 2007
Canton, GA
The only one I can think of for the latter category would be Fisher, who I keep hearing is very unhappy at FSU, mostly for personal reasons.
I can't imagine life being any better in Auburn. My sister-in-law lives there and can't stand it. If it weren't for her husband being from there and somewhat elderly she would be out of there in a heartbeat. They spend all their time at the beach or in the mountains. I would never live there unless I was homeless and they were giving out free ones.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
One problem in their hiring not mentioned in the article is the constant meddling in the program. He may not even know about it. They talked to better coaches than Chiz last time, but he was the only one who would let them dictate the staff. Who wants a job where the guy whom the field is named after has an office down the hall from yours and insists on having a representative at all staff meetings? It'll have to be a discard like Chiz (or Petrino, a discard for a different reason), or a strong guy who knows how the system works and thinks he can manage it. The only one I can think of for the latter category would be Fisher, who I keep hearing is very unhappy at FSU, mostly for personal reasons. When they finally make their hire, I'm going to be very interested in the makeup of the staff. If Taylor hangs around, they'll have another failure on their hands, NCAA or not...
Fisher went on the record yesterday saying he is "off the market" and that he is very happy at FSU. Is this just a smoke screen?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.