Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame DiamondDust's Avatar

Re: Orange Bowl Nightmare possability - Kent State vs. Ga Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy Smith View Post
    That is the same as I heard. Isn't Rutgers Big East & aren't they locked in if conference champion to Orange vs ACC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Big East isn't locked into the Orange Bowl anymore.
    “We have 45 men suited up. They're all supposed to be ready to play.”

-Bill Belichick

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team Rolltide_PA's Avatar
    My Mood
    Talkative on TideFans.com

from ESPN...

Kent State, at No. 17, has a shot to make it to a BCS game -- thanks to the lackluster Big East. With a win Friday over Northern Illinois in the MAC title game, the Golden Flashes would more than likely finish in the top 16, triggering an automatic bid because they would be ranked higher than the Big East champion.

Remember, the Big East only has an automatic berth this season and next. In the future playoff system, the highest ranked team among the Big East, Mountain West, Conference USA, Sun Belt and MAC would get into one of the elite-level bowl games automatically. So if the same scenario plays out in 2014, the Big East would be on the outside looking in.

BamaNation All-SEC Snuffy Smith's Avatar

Orange Bowl Nightmare possability - Kent State vs. Ga Tech

Looks like it will end up between Rutgers and Kent State for the Sugar & Orange.

http://www.bcsfootball.org/news/story?id=4819597

This years at-large selection order is Fiesta, Sugar, Orange. Sugar would get to pick the SEC champion replacement first - and we all know that will be the Gaytors. Fiesta is not obligated to pick an AQ as long as there are enough bowls after them to pick up the remaining AQ's (Rutgers & Kent State)

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Orange Bowl Nightmare possibility - Kent State vs. Ga Tech

Any "BCS" bowl with Big East teams in them would also be a travesty. IMHO.
    “That issue has gone under the bridge, under the next bridge, over the next dam and is gone.”
    -CNS

I would be shocked if Tech beats Fl State. If Fisher can't get them ready to play that team in a championship game I hope he does go to the barn

BamaNation All-SEC

Eventually the TV money and the bowls will put a stop to this foolishness. The bowls (and the cities that support them) cannot live with small fan bases that don't travel and end up with a bunch of tickets donated to Big Brothers/Big Sisters and/or leave stadium seats, hotel rooms, and restaurants unfilled. TV cannot afford bowl games that no one watches because the games are not competitive and/or no one cares about the teams. Not meaning to necessarily disrespect small schools that have worked hard, but face it, if you lost to Kentucky this year, you probably don't belong in ANY bowl game. I'd bet on Vandy to beat Georgia Tech and Kent State.
    Roll Tide

I guess either way if Kent State wins we are most likely looking at Florida vs Kent or Rutgers in the Sugar & Fl State vs the other in the Orange. Don't believe I will be glued to the set for either of those.

BamaNation All-American ALA2262's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy Smith View Post
    I guess either way if Kent State wins we are most likely looking at Florida vs Kent or Rutgers in the Sugar & Fl State vs the other in the Orange. Don't believe I will be glued to the set for either of those.

If Kent State is in, then Rutgers is the one out. Neither effects the Sugar bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolltide_PA View Post
    they can't lock the big east champ out of a BCS bowl just because it's not deserved. The Kent St inclusion has to do with an at-large bid but the BCS is contractually obligated to take the big east champ. so it's a team like Oklahoma that would get shut out...has no impact on SEC teams at all
    They would not be locked out because it is not deserved. They would be KNOCKED out by rule. This rule:

3. The champion of Conference USA, the Mid-American Conference, the Mountain West Conference, the Sun Belt Conference, or the Western Athletic Conference will earn an automatic berth in a BCS bowl game if either:
    A. Such team is ranked in the top 12 of the final BCS Standings, or,
    B. Such team is ranked in the top 16 of the final BCS Standings and its ranking in the final BCS Standings is higher than that of a champion of a conference that has an annual automatic berth in one of the BCS bowls.

3B puts Kent State in over Rutgers if they finish in the Top 16.
    Last edited by ALA2262; November 27th, 2012 at 11:31 AM.

Re: Orange Bowl Nightmare possibility - Kent State vs. Ga Tech

Quote Originally Posted by bmcklv View Post
    The scenario I saw explained on 'Talking Football' was Florida vs Kent State in the Sugar bowl, and Oklahoma is left out of the BCS unless they win the Big-12.
    As usual, they don't know what they are 'talking football' about. The rule that would put Kent State in has NOTHING to do with at large bids. It has to do with this(see 3B):

3. The champion of Conference USA, the Mid-American Conference, the Mountain West Conference, the Sun Belt Conference, or the Western Athletic Conference will earn an automatic berth in a BCS bowl game if either:
    A. Such team is ranked in the top 12 of the final BCS Standings, or,
    B. Such team is ranked in the top 16 of the final BCS Standings and its ranking in the final BCS Standings is higher than that of a champion of a conference that has an annual automatic berth in one of the BCS bowls.

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

A match made in the mid majors...

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

meh, i'd watch

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

The Big East has been a huge reason why non-AQ teams have participated in the last few seasons. I welcome the return of the contracted major bowl era and the end of the at-large pool and selection process/criteria.

I mean, in the playoff system it would likely be:

ND, SECCG Winner, Florida, and Oregon or Stanford (depending on how much that lips service on conference title weight means).

The SECCG loser would be going to play Kansas State in the Sugar Bowl instead of falling to some 2nd or 3rd tier bowl.