Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Saban, end of game rant against officials

Quote Originally Posted by DocCrimson View Post
    I would guess that he was angry that one more play meant one more opportunity to have an injury.
    I'm pretty sure this is correct.^^^^ With Bell out he didn't need or want to get anyone else hurt. Besides the band had already started playing Rammer Jammer and we had to sing it 4 times. lol

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-SEC

I agree with most here. The most humiliating thing for the Auburn team was to have to go back out and run one more play that ultimately had no effect on the outcome of the game. I think the AU players wanted the game to just end and stop the beating. By prolonging it one more play, it was just more painful for them. Coach was trying to do the respectful thing. Sometimes you just need to shoot the tiger to put it out of its misery.
    I think I recall an asst coach whispering to chizik near the end of the game. It probably had something to do with Tre needing 2 more yards. Obviously Saban had no idea about that. I think Saban could have calmed it down a little though. No need to blow a gasket over just one more play. Be upset then let it go.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I think Mason had a bonus clause in his contract for going over 1,000 yards LOL

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Mason's a good back. He might be our 4th back after Drake.

Quote Originally Posted by gamersfuel View Post
    if coach was against letting him get to 1000 yards i am pretty sure they would not have gotten the ball back. the rant was basically coach Saban coaching for 4 qtrs
    Exactly! Why would we have taken a knee, if we wanted to prevent the AU back from getting his 1000 yds. The ITAT board regularly just ignores common sense...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

BamaNation First Team

Big A Re: Saban, end of game rant against officials

Quote Originally Posted by gamersfuel View Post
    ... the rant was basically coach Saban coaching for 4 qtrs
    ... that's not coaching, that's just ranting

... if taking a knee shows class, as some believe, his explosion of temper sure seemed to have the opposite effect

... i confess that i was about as euphoric as possible up to that point with the 49-0 beat down we had just inflicted on 'em, but his blowing a gasket, kinda took the air out of my balloon

... needless to say, i thought it was way over the top

... of course, all this is just my 2 cents
    Bama's Back

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I don't think CNS cared one way or another how many yards any player had, theirs or ours. He's not the type of coach to concern himself with such matters. Neither is he the type of coach to intentionally run up the score on a helpless and hapless football squad who's been soundly beaten. So I completely understand taking a knee to end the game. We do that in lots of games, just not on 4th down because that's the only time that taking a knee stops the clock. If there's any time left on the clock at all, the other teams gets the ball back, 1st & 10. So, I'm just wondering why on earth any coach would choose to take a knee on 4th down.
    But that really doesn't matter, because it's over and done with days ago, and that's OK by me.

RTR. Let's go take care of the dawgs of UGA.

BamaNation All-SEC TriCountyTider's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by oskie View Post

... if taking a knee shows class, as some believe, his explosion of temper sure seemed to have the opposite effect

... i confess that i was about as euphoric as possible up to that point with the 49-0 beat down we had just inflicted on 'em, but his blowing a gasket, kinda took the air out of my balloon

I enjoy coach getting angry. I see it as him being all serious and buisness about his job,team,and football in general. I'll gladly accept that.
    The avatar picture is of my Daughter Hailee and me. My daughter is a future Crimson Tide cheerleader

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Reb View Post
    I don't think CNS cared one way or another how many yards any player had, theirs or ours. He's not the type of coach to concern himself with such matters. Neither is he the type of coach ...
    RTR. Let's go take care of the dawgs of UGA.

I see where you are coming from when you say that, but I disagree. Coach understands that individual statistics are important to players, as well as to a player's perception by media, awards ceremonies, and NFL scouts. That is why he has kept an RB in the game against an inferior opponent until just when they hit the 100 yard mark. Also, others have pointed out that Eddie stayed in the game until he got his 1000 yards for the season. I agree that in general he has his sights on more of the team direction, but he is not blind to individual players.

I'm not suggesting that the rant was over Mason getting to 1000 yards. I believe he just wanted them to run the clock after the change of possession since the game was over.
    Last edited by kayakerjess; November 27th, 2012 at 06:42 PM.

BamaNation All-American BAMA1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kayakerjess View Post
    I see where you are coming from when you say that, but I disagree. Coach understands that individual statistics are important to players, as well as to a player's perception by media, awards ceremonies, and NFL scouts. That is why he has kept an RB in the game against an inferior opponent until just when they hit the 100 yard mark. Also, others have pointed out that Eddie stayed in the game until he got his 1000 yards for the season. I agree that in general he has his sights on more of the team direction, but he is not blind to individual players.

I'm not suggesting that the rant was over Mason getting to 1000 yards. I believe he just wanted them to run the clock after the change of possession since the game was over.
    I don't really agree about the individual stats. Lacy had 99 yards against Western Carolina. That extra yard would have been pretty easy to gain. The best example I can think of though is McElroy in 2010. He needed 13 more passing yards to become the only Alabama quarterback to throw for 3,000 yards in a season, but he was taken out of the bowl game with plenty of time left.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

So now we know where Coach Muschamp got his bedside manner from...

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by tidefan23 View Post
    I seriously doubt either team kept up with the stats during the game. If either did (Bama included), they have no business even playing the game.
    I'm sure Bama wasn't keeping up, but I would be willing to bet that AU was. I don't think it was coincidence that Tre was in the game for the last handoff. It was so obvious that even Vern mentioned Tre getting 1000 yards.

BamaNation All-SEC Bamafan P.T.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oskie View Post

We already lost Bell in the game as well as ivory going out. I'm sure the only thing on CNS's mind was the game clock showing 0's. One more play run is one more chance for injury.