Question: Saban, end of game rant against officials

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Yeah... it was basically a situation where the refs could have taken their time to spot the ball and let the clock run out. Auburn definitely wouldn't have objected considering the outcome of the game.
Auburn folks are saying he was mad that the last play allowed Tre Mason to get 1000 yards on the season. Which makes no sense, because why not just score again?

Gibson09

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 5, 2010
They might have. I think the reason Auburn wanted the ball back was to get Tre Mason over 1,000 yards for the season. He had 997 then on the last play he rushed for 5 yards to end the season with 1,002. I know its kind of a meaningless stat but still it puts you in "that" group of running backs this year.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
On their boards, some of their saner fans pointed out that there would be no way Saban could have known on the sideline exactly how many yds Mason had, nor would he have cared...

tidefan23

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2004
Hoover, AL
They might have. I think the reason Auburn wanted the ball back was to get Tre Mason over 1,000 yards for the season. He had 997 then on the last play he rushed for 5 yards to end the season with 1,002. I know its kind of a meaningless stat but still it puts you in "that" group of running backs this year.
I seriously doubt either team kept up with the stats during the game. If either did (Bama included), they have no business even playing the game.

Gibson09

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 5, 2010
I be willing to say that during the last 5 min drive Bama had while eating up clock someone mentioned it to thier OC. The broadcasters knew right away that that play put him over 1k so Im sure someone on Auburns staff knew the same.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
I think Bama's sideline knew about Bama players' situations (Lacy came out immediately after getting 1,000 yds.), and Auburn knew about Auburn's players' situations (Mason got that last carry). I doubt that Bama's sideline knew or cared about Auburn's players' situations. I don't think that's what Saban was mad about. I think he just wanted the clock to run out after our final kneel-down.

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
I'm glad he is on our sideline. My wife is a pretty good lip reader and he was letting the official have an earful plus more. I don't blame him for blowing a gasket.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

BAMA1979

All-American
Nov 15, 2006
Mobile
On their boards, some of their saner fans pointed out that there would be no way Saban could have known on the sideline exactly how many yds Mason had, nor would he have cared...
True, plus all of that happened before Auburn ran the ball on that last play anyway. He just wanted the officials to run the clock because the players and coaching staffs for both teams had already started making their way onto the field thinking that the game was over.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Yea on ITAT they were having a blast saying he was trying to stop Mason from getting 1,000 (crazy)

From how I understood it, he wanted the refs to just run the clock and if you noticed they cut to Chiz right after we took a knee and he was walking off the field towards Saban as well as he thought they would run the clock as well. He looked just a surprised as Saban that they didn't run the clock. I think Saban was just ticked that they refused to run the clock unless the barn came back on the field. He said something like "hey I didn't want to score" or something like that.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
True, plus all of that happened before Auburn ran the ball on that last play anyway. He just wanted the officials to run the clock because the players and coaching staffs for both teams had already started making their way onto the field thinking that the game was over.
^This^ He was mad before Mason ever ran the ball.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.