Mark Stoops named coach at Kentucky...

Im_on_dsp

All-SEC
Oct 10, 2007
Canton, GA
per ESPN breaking news... Petrino to AU now?
Of course Petrino's going to *uburn. I'm willing to bet everything I own that he'll be announced within the next couple of weeks. No one else in their right mind would take the job and *uburn has no scruples about hiring a scumbag. All we'll hear is how *uburn is giving him a second chance at coaching, redemption, salvation, etc...... They're probably just working out the details right now.

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
Basketball school = Graveyard for football coachs. If he can perform decent though, might be a stepping stone. Coach Bryant knew when to get out of there.

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL
He must be thrilled
This was my initial thought as well. However, after digesting it for a moment I realized if James Franklin can have success at Vanderbilt, Stoops - assuming he has the right head coaching pedigree - can have some success at Kentucky.....
Now, I'm not suggesting KY will compete for SEC eastern division championships or BCS titles, but if he can win some ballgames and get to a bowl game or two, he will be a commodity for other jobs. I believe Franklin has put himself into a nice position at Vandy to be considered for more prestigious head coaching vacancies when they become available.

efd840

1st Team
Nov 23, 2009
I think the Petrino to AU deal's been done for almost a month. They've just got to let some time pass so it will appear that they've done a legitimate search.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Of course Petrino's going to *uburn. I'm willing to bet everything I own that he'll be announced within the next couple of weeks. No one else in their right mind would take the job and *uburn has no scruples about hiring a scumbag. All we'll hear is how *uburn is giving him a second chance at coaching, redemption, salvation, etc...... They're probably just working out the details right now.
Yes - that one is a 2 week minimum spin job. It takes a long time to make up a story that good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bluegrasstide

1st Team
Oct 31, 2010
Pikeville KY
UK is nothing more than a stepping stone. Brooks won at Kentucky and kept their fan pretty appeased. They are satisfied with going to the Music City Bowl every year. If it isn't round, doesn't bounce, and doesn't fit through a goal, UK fans could really care less. I am convinced that they are satisfied with a 6 or 7 win season and a bowl game. In the end, the money trail leads to roundball. It is truly a challenge to live in this state sometimes...

Stonewall1959

2nd Team
Oct 5, 2005
Macon, Georgia
UK is nothing more than a stepping stone. Brooks won at Kentucky and kept their fan pretty appeased. They are satisfied with going to the Music City Bowl every year. If it isn't round, doesn't bounce, and doesn't fit through a goal, UK fans could really care less. I am convinced that they are satisfied with a 6 or 7 win season and a bowl game. In the end, the money trail leads to roundball. It is truly a challenge to live in this state sometimes...

I don't live in Kentucky but work in the state quite often and travel all over. (I'm in Shepherdsville, KY right now as a matter of fact.) It's amazing the love for KY basketball up here. Honestly, I'm in awe of how much they love them some roundball. They are as bball crazy as we are about football.

I think the Stoops hire is a good move for KY and I don't know that they could have done a lot better. True, probably a stepping stone job for Stoops, but there's not a lot of pressure to win immediately and he has a very, very young team to work with. Something like 26 freshmen and sophmores on that team right now.

Happy for them.

Last edited:

KrimsonNinja

All-SEC
Apr 22, 2009
Florida
Kentucky got a good hire I think. He has a lot of experience as a defensive coach so we'll see if he has what it takes to be a head coach in the toughest conference that thrives on defense.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I agree with the Petrino to au posts. The only coach who would go there and the only school that would hire him. No brainier and I am sure the religious zealots in the cult have given prayerful thought and given their blessing.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.