Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Link "Muschamp would take Bama's spot in SEC title game"

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ban-let-switch

"Saban said Sunday that is isn't fair that the Gators, fifth-ranked in the BCS, likely will play in the Sugar Bowl over the loser of the Southeastern Conference title game. No. 2 Alabama plays No. 3 Georgia for the SEC title Saturday, with the winner advancing to the BCS title game in Miami and the loser probably landing in the Capital One Bowl in Orlando."

""Well, I can switch and go to Atlanta if he doesn't want to go to Atlanta and play the Dawgs," Muschamp said Monday. "Be careful what you ask for, Nick."

""It's not really a great scenario," Saban said. "You play your way into the (SEC) championship game, which means you're the best team in your division. ... It doesn't seem quite right, but it is what it is. I don't really know what me commenting about it is going to do to change it. But I don't feel good about it."

I get what Saban is saying, but I have to agree with Muschamp on this one.
    If God wanted me to be humble, he would have sent me to Auburn.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame cbi1972's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Shocked on TideFans.com

Re: "Muschamp would take Bama's spot in SEC title game"

Quote Originally Posted by J4Bama View Post
    I get what Saban is saying, but I have to agree with Muschamp on this one.
    Saban knows as well as anybody what being 2nd in the division can get you. I don't understand why he would say this.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere
    "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet, I've no right buying tobacco. " - Grandpa Joe

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

Muschamp is being obtuse. That happens a lot when people respond to issues that Saban discusses.

I don't think Muschamp means anything by it though.

Saban isn't saying that teams must win their division or anything. He's just saying that the loser of the SECCG is being kind of being penalized. That's nothing new though and it seems like Saban wasn't the one who brought it up.

The only way this would be relevant to last year is if LSU lost to UGA and Alabama then got into the BCSCG and LSU did not.
    Last edited by JeffAtlanta; November 27th, 2012 at 03:17 PM.

BamaNation All-American B1GTide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

After last year, Saban's statement was absurd. The GA head coach could say that and get some sympathy. Saban - not so much.

I can's say that I blame Muschamp for his comments.

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

muschamp and jimbo are getting a little ballsy with their words imo. florida might be the computers darlings but they ain't all that. good defense, but i'd like to see what their offense does when the run is shut down.

funny what a little success can do to their ego's.

BamaNation All-American B1GTide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by JeffAtlanta View Post
    The only way this would be relevant to last year is if LSU lost to UGA and Alabama then got into the BCSCG and LSU did not.
    No, it is relevant because GA lost to LSU in the SECCG and was left out of a BCS bowl for Alabama.

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    No, it is relevant because GA lost to LSU in the SECCG and was left out of a BCS bowl for Alabama.
    2011 UGA already had 2 losses coming into the SECCG, so they weren't hurt by playing and losing in the SECCG.

2011 Alabama would have been in a better bowl than UGA even if UGA hadn't played in the SECCG.

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Florida didn't beat UGA. They didn't make the SEC title game. This is not the same thing for us as last year. This is not apples and oranges, this is an apples and something-besides-fruit argument. If there was no undefeated Notre Dame team, then this may be something worth discussing. If it takes more than a few words to explain something most Americans find the idea easy to demagogue.

Yes, Georgia should have gotten the Sugar Bowl over a Big 10 and ACC team last year. No one would have argued that last year especially not Florida. Florida fans and Muschamp have forgotten the humiliation we have given them the last 3 times we've faced them. Yes, humiliation. We have soundly beaten them 3 times in a row. I don't see why 2012 Bama would not beat 2012 Florida. I'll not respond to this thread once more to help keep it going. Shut case. Please close the thread.
    “That issue has gone under the bridge, under the next bridge, over the next dam and is gone.”
    -CNS

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMom2Boys's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Amused on TideFans.com

I don't blame Muschamp, but I also don't blame Saban for saying it. By his statement, you can tell he didn't want to comment, but got baited into it.

For all we know, he is sending a message to his team, by purpose or not. Either win the game and get in the National Championship...or lose and end up back in Atlanta against the ACC in the Chickfila bowl. You (the team) make the choice....
    Roll Tide

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by theballguy View Post
    Florida didn't beat UGA. They didn't make the SEC title game. This is not the same thing for us as last year. This is not apples and oranges, this is an apples and something-besides-fruit argument. If there was no undefeated Notre Dame team, then this may be something worth discussing. If it takes more than a few words to explain something most Americans find the idea easy to demagogue.

Yes, Georgia should have gotten the Sugar Bowl over a Big 10 and ACC team last year. No one would have argued that last year especially not Florida. Florida fans and Muschamp have forgotten the humiliation we have given them the last 3 times we've faced them. Yes, humiliation. We have soundly beaten them 3 times in a row. I don't see why 2012 Bama would not beat 2012 Florida. I'll not respond to this thread once more to help keep it going. Shut case. Please close the thread.
    So, because you don't agree with an article that is on ESPN we
    should close this thread?
    If God wanted me to be humble, he would have sent me to Auburn.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Inspired on TideFans.com

The rest of the college football world is eating this up but I think they missed the point. This isn't about last year and winning your division to get into the BCS. This is about the fact that only 2 teams can get into the BCS from one conference.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

I think the discussion is an extension of the argument about whether or not a loss in the conference championship game should "count" when deciding the bowl games and/or BCS standings.

Last year, UCLA was 6-6 and played in the PAC12 championship game because USC was banned. UCLA lost, leaving them at 6-7 and forcing them to miss the bowl season, even though they would have gone to a bowl at 6-6 had USC not been on probation.

Georgia Tech is in the same situation this year playing in the ACC championship game because both UNC and Miami are not eligible.

This is a similar situation where either UGA or Bama will get penalized for playing in the SECCG rather than being rewarded for making it there in the first place.
    Last edited by kayakerjess; November 27th, 2012 at 04:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    based on their bowl performance last year, they wouldn't have fared very well in a BCS bowl
    Hail Mary, Full of Grace, Notre Dame in Second Place, with a made up girlfriend

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

-Bertrand Russell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.

— Thomas Pynchon