Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: "Muschamp would take Bama's spot in SEC title game"

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    I love how people can't get the simple fact that Saban is complaining about the BCS only allowing two SEC teams in. That is ridiculous and he has a right to complain.
    Yup, when six of the top10 BCS teams are SEC teams, it shows how ridiculous that rule is. The SEC should have anywhere from 4-6 teams in the BCS games.

"Everyone gets a trophy."
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. 2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American RollTideMang's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I do think the BCS should allow more than 2 teams from a conference to be chosen for the big 5 bowls (or at least exclude national championship contenders from being one of the two).

The only problem I have with Florida going to the SB over the SECCG loser is that I don't think it should be pre-determined. If it's an at-large bid, the SB should be able to choose which team it wants to replace the SEC champion. If it wants Florida, great. If it wants the SECCG loser, great. Even if it wants Oregon, great. I just don't think that it should be set in stone that they get the bid.

If the SECCG was not for a slot in the NCG, would Florida still get an auto-bid for another BCS bowl, or would they still be at-large?

BamaNation All-American tidefanbeezer's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I think Saban was just trying to compliment both teams in this game and nothing more. Muschamp saw a chance to get his name in the paper and took it.

BamaNation All-American theballguy's Avatar
    Behind is in Colorado Springs, heart in Alabama
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Is it me or is Muschamp short a few IQ points? Anyone ever watch him and wonder this?
    I know what it takes to win. If I can sell them on what it takes to win, then we are not going to lose too many football games. - Coach Paul Bryant and I can see Coach Nick Saban agreeing completely.

BamaNation All-American BAMA1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kayakerjess View Post
    I think the discussion is an extension of the argument about whether or not a loss in the conference championship game should "count" when deciding the bowl games and/or BCS standings.

Last year, UCLA was 6-6 and played in the PAC12 championship game because USC was banned. UCLA lost, leaving them at 6-7 and forcing them to miss the bowl season, even though they would have gone to a bowl at 6-6 had USC not been on probation.

Georgia Tech is in the same situation this year playing in the ACC championship game because both UNC and Miami are not eligible.

This is a similar situation where either UGA or Bama will get penalized for playing in the SECCG rather than being rewarded for making it there in the first place.
    UCLA didn't miss out on playing in a bowl game. They played against Illinois in that bowl game in San Francisco. Georgia Tech can ask the NCAA to waive the rule just like UCLA did.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    Inspired on TideFans.com

I just love how people hate Nick Saban so much that they think he would complain about a situation that he benefited from just last year.

The hatred is so strong, so blinding, that they would take anything said without concern for context, to crucify him.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I'm sure Coach Saban was only reacting to an asked question and Coach Muschamp's comment was made in jest. These coaches are lifelong friends and probably have already chatted by phone over the whole deal.

In my opinion....any team that lost even one game during the season has to take ownership of that loss and where that left them post-season.

As far as why the Sugar Bowl would take Georgia over Florida....they would be taking a 2 loss team over a 1 loss team. If U.G.A. doesn't like it - they can do something about it on Saturday. I know Bama will.

I guess things will be different next year with the new 'playoff-type' system. I do appreciate there are so many S.E.C. teams in the top 10 this year....perhaps they will benefit by the new system next year..

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    I just love how people hate Nick Saban so much that they think he would complain about a situation that he benefited from just last year.

The hatred is so strong, so blinding, that they would take anything said without concern for context, to crucify him.
    I am a huge Saban fan but think his statement was absurd as stated. If he meant it to be interpreted as suggested on this board, he should have been a little more clear. He left himself open to this criticism.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    I guess things will be different next year with the new 'playoff-type' system.
    The new playoff system would actually make this situation much worse as the loser of the SECCG will drop out of the top 4, but UF would remain in.
    Last edited by JeffAtlanta; November 27th, 2012 at 09:00 PM. Reason: corrected year of playoff

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by JeffAtlanta View Post
    Next year's playoff would actually make this situation much worse as the loser of the SECCG will drop out of the top 4, but UF would remain in.
    Agreed

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMom2Boys's Avatar
    My Mood
    Aggressive0 on TideFans.com

Ok, I just listened to the clip. The reporter asked him straight out, what he thought about the situation.

First thing Saban said was ..."for either one of these teams" then he says exactly what was quoted. But the article and what is viral, does not show him saying that.

You can listen below, it is the first question asked.

http://www.secondemand.com/#!/view/v...--Nov-25,-2012
    Roll Tide

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    Inspired on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    I am a huge Saban fan but think his statement was absurd as stated. If he meant it to be interpreted as suggested on this board, he should have been a little more clear. He left himself open to this criticism.
    I'm not talking about you, or any opposing team fans in this thread. You've talked about how you see his statements, but you're not dog cussing him like he's Satan's spawn. Some of these fans out there (and a lot of the media) simply love to hate him and there is nothing he can do about it. He could have elaborated completely on this statement but still would have been lambasted for it. It is what it is, I guess.

My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    If only he had more important things to worry about other than how we might interpret what he said...

Does anyone remember the fuss about his tie a few years back?