"Muschamp would take Bama's spot in SEC title game"

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I'm not talking about you, or any opposing team fans in this thread. You've talked about how you see his statements, but you're not dog cussing him like he's Satan's spawn. Some of these fans out there (and a lot of the media) simply love to hate him and there is nothing he can do about it. He could have elaborated completely on this statement but still would have been lambasted for it. It is what it is, I guess.
You are right - some ugly stuff out there.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
Why.....because Uf would have 1 less loss?
The current BCS rankings are...
1 - ND
2 - Alabama
3 - UGA
4 - UF

Either #2 Alabama or #3 UGA would drop out of the top 4 with a SECCG loss. UF is already sitting at #4, so they would either move up to #3 or at worst stay #4. A UGA loss would hurt UF's SOS, but probably not enough to fall out of the top 4.

In the new playoff system, a team sitting in the top 4 can be better off if they are #2 in their division and not have to play in the conference championship game. They might miss out on being a higher seed, but they would almost definitely make the 4 team playoff.

The first time a situation like this happens, the system will be reworked.

Last edited:

rolltideallday

1st Team
Dec 18, 2011
Tuscaloosa, AL
I'm sure Coach Saban was only reacting to an asked question and Coach Muschamp's comment was made in jest. These coaches are lifelong friends and probably have already chatted by phone over the whole deal.

In my opinion....any team that lost even one game during the season has to take ownership of that loss and where that left them post-season.

As far as why the Sugar Bowl would take Georgia over Florida....they would be taking a 2 loss team over a 1 loss team. If U.G.A. doesn't like it - they can do something about it on Saturday. I know Bama will.

I guess things will be different next year with the new 'playoff-type' system. I do appreciate there are so many S.E.C. teams in the top 10 this year....perhaps they will benefit by the new system next year..
No, I'm pretty sure Brad Edwards said that if a team is in the top 3 and isn't a conference champ, like Florida this year, they are guaranteed a BCS bid. That is why Florida is already in the Sugar bowl because they will pass the loser of the SECCG and get that automatic bid.

lincoln_osiris

1st Team
Feb 11, 2009
Isn't the new playoff system going to be picked by a committee? They could pick either one they want, but no more than 2 from a conference. At least that is the way I understood it.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I agree that Saban should avoid any questions pertaining to division championships because it is nothing but a minefield. His statements will always be spun as either whining or hypocritical. It's a more complex situation than most fans care to discern, so there really is no upside in a coach addressing the situation in a soundbite world.

To be fair, I think that Spurrier was sort of unfairly accused of whining when he mentioned that the system of determining the SEC division winners might need to be tweaked.
Yep, and he needs to stop talking about no huddle offenses as well...lol

Georgia LY wouldn't have been playing in the BCSCG if they had won -- they would have gone to the Sugar Bowl if they won.....

What Coach is saying is that w/o a Championship Game -- one would have gone to the BCSCG the other would have gone to the Sugar Bowl.....

Playing the extra game shouldn't punish you if you lose.....by sending you to a lesser bowl

It's not comparable to last year......because the team left out of the SECCG isn't going to be in the Top 2 of the BCS -- they are #4......
Exactly! But everyone is going to jump on him because well, he is Nick Saban...

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
What if the top 5 Teams next year were All SEC? Would it be fair to keep 3 out of BCS games?

It could happen you know but for ND almost did this year.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
The current BCS rankings are...
1 - ND
2 - Alabama
3 - UGA
4 - UF

Either #2 Alabama or #3 UGA would drop out of the top 4 with a SECCG loss. UF is already sitting at #4, so they would either move up to #3 or at worst stay #4. A UGA loss would hurt UF's SOS, but probably not enough to fall out of the top 4.

In the new playoff system, a team sitting in the top 4 can be better off if they are #2 in their division and not have to play in the conference championship game. They might miss out on being a higher seed, but they would almost definitely make the 4 team playoff.

The first time a situation like this happens, the system will be reworked.
Thanks Jeff....I understand now. The conference championship pits #1 and #2 against each other - which automatically results in an additional loss for one of those two teams. The other teams in that conference (in particular those ranked #3 - like Florida this season - and immediately behind them) will not have. I think that's the bottom line. Teams will be looked at with regard to their won/loss records strictly as they end the regular season.

But while we are using the current system all teams are ranked with emphasis on won/loss records and that impacts every team. I still maintain a team that feels slighted has only to blame themselves for not winning "that game" which would have changed their fate.

For Florida it was the Georgia game.

For Georgia it will be the Bama game.

If a team wins all their games - and then gets slighted....that's a different story.

That hasn't happened this year. N.D. is #1. And tOSU is on probation.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Thanks Jeff....I understand now. The conference championship pits #1 and #2 against each other - which automatically results in an additional loss for one of those two teams. The other teams in that conference (in particular those ranked #3 - like Florida this season - and immediately behind them) will not have. I think that's the bottom line. Teams will be looked at with regard to their won/loss records strictly as they end the regular season.

But while we are using the current system all teams are ranked with emphasis on won/loss records and that impacts every team. I still maintain a team that feels slighted has only to blame themselves for not winning "that game" which would have changed their fate.

For Florida it was the Georgia game.

For Georgia it will be the Bama game.

If a team wins all their games - and then gets slighted....that's a different story.

That hasn't happened this year. N.D. is #1. And tOSU is on probation.
This ^ Florida would much rather be in Alabama or Georgia's position now and even in the later 4 team system. Both points are valid, but given the choice it would be better to control your destiny. I think that is all Muschamp was saying.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The playoff will not go to the Top 4 teams. It goes to 3 conference champions and an at-large team, meaning this year would be Big 12 champ, SEC champ, Pac 12 champ (if Stanford wins because of their ranking), and Florida.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
The playoff will not go to the Top 4 teams. It goes to 3 conference champions and an at-large team, meaning this year would be Big 12 champ, SEC champ, Pac 12 champ (if Stanford wins because of their ranking), and Florida.
Right, and what concerns me about that is what will happen next. I was and still do think a +1 was the best we could hope for in the environment we are in. However, one of two things are going to happen in this scenario if the SEC remains as strong as it is now.

Either the SEC is going to have to play another SEC team in the first round, or the possibility of an all SEC final game will be greater than before.

The reason this concerns me is that this will have more hounds baying for 8 teams sooner.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Link?

I don't think that's correct - I think the top four ranked teams will go, and the committee will exist to insure a team playing a schedule full of cupcakes doesn't get in before, say, Florida from this year.Why have a committee if three of the spots are already chosen by the conferences? And why would any president representing a school with no championship game (Big12/whatever) agree to this?

Maybe I missed it, but if that's what the playoff really is, it's awful.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Link?

I don't think that's correct - I think the top four ranked teams will go, and the committee will exist to insure a team playing a schedule full of cupcakes doesn't get in before, say, Florida from this year.Why have a committee if three of the spots are already chosen by the conferences? And why would any president representing a school with no championship game (Big12/whatever) agree to this?

I believe you are correct. What RTR91 said was something that was being floated out there during negotiations. They settled on "top 4 teams chosen by committee" though.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Link?

No, you're correct. The reasons you stated is why there will be a committee.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Link?

Audio:

I want to fully understand what you are saying about Florida's schedule this year.

Are you saying we had a weak schedule - because not every opponent measured up to a particular standard?

This is not the first time I have heard comments about Florida's cupcake opponents. I would think those who say this are totally ignoring the bottom line for any team...the entire schedule.

Wouldn't the "committee" take this under consideration? The entire season's strength of schedule...including the "cupcakes"?

I would love to hear how Florida's overall season schedule stacks up against the rest of the SEC. Then for the heck of it......let's compare to Georgia. :)

Edit: I think I may have misunderstood your comment Audio. Perhaps you were saying the committee would prevent a team who played a lot of cupcakes from getting ahead of Florida. Is that what you were saying?

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.