Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American

Re: "Muschamp would take Bama's spot in SEC title game"

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    I am a huge Saban fan but think his statement was absurd as stated. If he meant it to be interpreted as suggested on this board, he should have been a little more clear. He left himself open to this criticism.
    I agree that Saban should avoid any questions pertaining to division championships because it is nothing but a minefield. His statements will always be spun as either whining or hypocritical. It's a more complex situation than most fans care to discern, so there really is no upside in a coach addressing the situation in a soundbite world.

To be fair, I think that Spurrier was sort of unfairly accused of whining when he mentioned that the system of determining the SEC division winners might need to be tweaked.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American B1GTide's Avatar
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    I'm not talking about you, or any opposing team fans in this thread. You've talked about how you see his statements, but you're not dog cussing him like he's Satan's spawn. Some of these fans out there (and a lot of the media) simply love to hate him and there is nothing he can do about it. He could have elaborated completely on this statement but still would have been lambasted for it. It is what it is, I guess.
    You are right - some ugly stuff out there.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffAtlanta View Post
    Next year's playoff would actually make this situation much worse as the loser of the SECCG will drop out of the top 4, but UF would remain in.
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. 2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

The new playoff system would actually make this situation much worse as the loser of the SECCG will drop out of the top 4, but UF would remain in.
    Why.....because Uf would have 1 less loss?

BamaNation All-American B1GTide's Avatar
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    No, because GA would be punished for beating FL earlier in the season.

BamaNation All-American

The current BCS rankings are...
    1 - ND
    2 - Alabama
    3 - UGA
    4 - UF

Either #2 Alabama or #3 UGA would drop out of the top 4 with a SECCG loss. UF is already sitting at #4, so they would either move up to #3 or at worst stay #4. A UGA loss would hurt UF's SOS, but probably not enough to fall out of the top 4.

In the new playoff system, a team sitting in the top 4 can be better off if they are #2 in their division and not have to play in the conference championship game. They might miss out on being a higher seed, but they would almost definitely make the 4 team playoff.

The first time a situation like this happens, the system will be reworked.
    Last edited by JeffAtlanta; November 27th, 2012 at 09:57 PM.

BamaNation First Team

I'm sure Coach Saban was only reacting to an asked question and Coach Muschamp's comment was made in jest. These coaches are lifelong friends and probably have already chatted by phone over the whole deal.

In my opinion....any team that lost even one game during the season has to take ownership of that loss and where that left them post-season.

As far as why the Sugar Bowl would take Georgia over Florida....they would be taking a 2 loss team over a 1 loss team. If U.G.A. doesn't like it - they can do something about it on Saturday. I know Bama will.

I guess things will be different next year with the new 'playoff-type' system. I do appreciate there are so many S.E.C. teams in the top 10 this year....perhaps they will benefit by the new system next year..
    No, I'm pretty sure Brad Edwards said that if a team is in the top 3 and isn't a conference champ, like Florida this year, they are guaranteed a BCS bid. That is why Florida is already in the Sugar bowl because they will pass the loser of the SECCG and get that automatic bid.

BamaNation First Team lincoln_osiris's Avatar
    My Mood
    Amused on TideFans.com

Isn't the new playoff system going to be picked by a committee? They could pick either one they want, but no more than 2 from a conference. At least that is the way I understood it.
    I'm a lead farmer

BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    My Mood
    Cloud_9 on TideFans.com

I agree that Saban should avoid any questions pertaining to division championships because it is nothing but a minefield. His statements will always be spun as either whining or hypocritical. It's a more complex situation than most fans care to discern, so there really is no upside in a coach addressing the situation in a soundbite world.

To be fair, I think that Spurrier was sort of unfairly accused of whining when he mentioned that the system of determining the SEC division winners might need to be tweaked.
    Yep, and he needs to stop talking about no huddle offenses as well...lol

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

"Muschamp would take Bama's spot in SEC title game"

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCrimson View Post
    Georgia LY wouldn't have been playing in the BCSCG if they had won -- they would have gone to the Sugar Bowl if they won.....

What Coach is saying is that w/o a Championship Game -- one would have gone to the BCSCG the other would have gone to the Sugar Bowl.....

Playing the extra game shouldn't punish you if you lose.....by sending you to a lesser bowl

It's not comparable to last year......because the team left out of the SECCG isn't going to be in the Top 2 of the BCS -- they are #4......
    Exactly! But everyone is going to jump on him because well, he is Nick Saban...

BamaNation All-American Florida Tom's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

What if the top 5 Teams next year were All SEC? Would it be fair to keep 3 out of BCS games?

It could happen you know but for ND almost did this year.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    My Mood
    Cloud_9 on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Florida Tom View Post
    What if the top 5 Teams next year were All SEC? Would it be fair to keep 3 out of BCS games?

It could happen you know but for ND almost did this year.
    I think the BCS itself works pretty well, but the BCS Bowl tie ins make for some pretty lousy football games at times.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

The current BCS rankings are...
    1 - ND
    2 - Alabama
    3 - UGA
    4 - UF

Either #2 Alabama or #3 UGA would drop out of the top 4 with a SECCG loss. UF is already sitting at #4, so they would either move up to #3 or at worst stay #4. A UGA loss would hurt UF's SOS, but probably not enough to fall out of the top 4.

In the new playoff system, a team sitting in the top 4 can be better off if they are #2 in their division and not have to play in the conference championship game. They might miss out on being a higher seed, but they would almost definitely make the 4 team playoff.

The first time a situation like this happens, the system will be reworked.
    Thanks Jeff....I understand now. The conference championship pits #1 and #2 against each other - which automatically results in an additional loss for one of those two teams. The other teams in that conference (in particular those ranked #3 - like Florida this season - and immediately behind them) will not have. I think that's the bottom line. Teams will be looked at with regard to their won/loss records strictly as they end the regular season.

But while we are using the current system all teams are ranked with emphasis on won/loss records and that impacts every team. I still maintain a team that feels slighted has only to blame themselves for not winning "that game" which would have changed their fate.

For Florida it was the Georgia game.

For Georgia it will be the Bama game.

If a team wins all their games - and then gets slighted....that's a different story.

That hasn't happened this year. N.D. is #1. And tOSU is on probation.