Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: "Muschamp would take Bama's spot in SEC title game"

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    Thanks Jeff....I understand now. The conference championship pits #1 and #2 against each other - which automatically results in an additional loss for one of those two teams. The other teams in that conference (in particular those ranked #3 - like Florida this season - and immediately behind them) will not have. I think that's the bottom line. Teams will be looked at with regard to their won/loss records strictly as they end the regular season.

But while we are using the current system all teams are ranked with emphasis on won/loss records and that impacts every team. I still maintain a team that feels slighted has only to blame themselves for not winning "that game" which would have changed their fate.

For Florida it was the Georgia game.

For Georgia it will be the Bama game.

If a team wins all their games - and then gets slighted....that's a different story.

That hasn't happened this year. N.D. is #1. And tOSU is on probation.
    This ^ Florida would much rather be in Alabama or Georgia's position now and even in the later 4 team system. Both points are valid, but given the choice it would be better to control your destiny. I think that is all Muschamp was saying.

2. Advertisement
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

The playoff will not go to the Top 4 teams. It goes to 3 conference champions and an at-large team, meaning this year would be Big 12 champ, SEC champ, Pac 12 champ (if Stanford wins because of their ranking), and Florida.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    The playoff will not go to the Top 4 teams. It goes to 3 conference champions and an at-large team, meaning this year would be Big 12 champ, SEC champ, Pac 12 champ (if Stanford wins because of their ranking), and Florida.
    Right, and what concerns me about that is what will happen next. I was and still do think a +1 was the best we could hope for in the environment we are in. However, one of two things are going to happen in this scenario if the SEC remains as strong as it is now.

Either the SEC is going to have to play another SEC team in the first round, or the possibility of an all SEC final game will be greater than before.

The reason this concerns me is that this will have more hounds baying for 8 teams sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Link?

I don't think that's correct - I think the top four ranked teams will go, and the committee will exist to insure a team playing a schedule full of cupcakes doesn't get in before, say, Florida from this year.Why have a committee if three of the spots are already chosen by the conferences? And why would any president representing a school with no championship game (Big12/whatever) agree to this?

Maybe I missed it, but if that's what the playoff really is, it's awful.
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. 2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    Inspired on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Link?

I don't think that's correct - I think the top four ranked teams will go, and the committee will exist to insure a team playing a schedule full of cupcakes doesn't get in before, say, Florida from this year.Why have a committee if three of the spots are already chosen by the conferences? And why would any president representing a school with no championship game (Big12/whatever) agree to this?

I believe you are correct. What RTR91 said was something that was being floated out there during negotiations. They settled on "top 4 teams chosen by committee" though.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Link?

No, you're correct. The reasons you stated is why there will be a committee.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exist, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

My Mood
    Buzzed on TideFans.com

Link?

Audio:

I want to fully understand what you are saying about Florida's schedule this year.

Are you saying we had a weak schedule - because not every opponent measured up to a particular standard?

This is not the first time I have heard comments about Florida's cupcake opponents. I would think those who say this are totally ignoring the bottom line for any team...the entire schedule.

Wouldn't the "committee" take this under consideration? The entire season's strength of schedule...including the "cupcakes"?

I would love to hear how Florida's overall season schedule stacks up against the rest of the SEC. Then for the heck of it......let's compare to Georgia.

Edit: I think I may have misunderstood your comment Audio. Perhaps you were saying the committee would prevent a team who played a lot of cupcakes from getting ahead of Florida. Is that what you were saying?
    Last edited by Bazza; November 28th, 2012 at 11:20 AM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    Inspired on TideFans.com

Bazza, I think he's saying that in a playoff, another team that played cupcakes and went undefeated should not get in over Florida who played a tougher schedule but had 1 loss.

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    I believe you are correct. What RTR91 said was something that was being floated out there during negotiations. They settled on "top 4 teams chosen by committee" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    No, you're correct. The reasons you stated is why there will be a committee.
    I believe this is correct. I do believe that what RTR91 said will be the norm though.

My Mood
    Buzzed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    Bazza, I think he's saying that in a playoff, another team that played cupcakes and went undefeated should not get in over Florida who played a tougher schedule but had 1 loss.
    I think you're right....after re-reading it that appears to be what he was saying....I guess that cupcake thing gets a little old after a while.

Thanks Engineer!

My Mood
    Aggressive on TideFans.com

I don't have a link, but I have heard that the playoff committee would pick the top 4 teams with an emphasis on conference champions. What does that mean? I guess we will see.
    I have avoided this thread, I thought it would go away. Tim Brando devoted an entire show to what Nick said never missing a chance to put Bama down. enough for me to not respond.
    to 16 and beyond........

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by bamaga View Post
    I don't have a link, but I have heard that the playoff committee would pick the top 4 teams with an emphasis on conference champions. What does that mean? I guess we will see.
    I have avoided this thread, I thought it would go away. Tim Brando devoted an entire show to this very thing, enough for me to not respond.
    I think that means that if the rankings looked like this:

1. Alabama
    2. Florida
    3. LSU
    4. T&M
    5. UGA
    6. Arkansas
    7. Miss St
    8. Ole Miss
    9. Tenesee
    10. Oregon

Then only the SEC Champ would make it into the play off so you'd have #1 vs #10-13 more than likely

at least thats my take on it ( and yes I did it like that to prove a point)

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    Audio:

I want to fully understand what you are saying about Florida's schedule this year.

Are you saying we had a weak schedule - because not every opponent measured up to a particular standard?
    No, suggesting that you would get the nod over, say, Boise State with their perennial cupcake scheduling. A one-loss SEC team should always get the nod over a undefeated cupcake team.
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. 2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!