"Muschamp would take Bama's spot in SEC title game"

J4Bama

All-American
Mar 24, 2002
Sarasota, Florida
http://espn.go.com/college-football...ng-alabama-crimson-tide-nick-saban-let-switch

"Saban said Sunday that is isn't fair that the Gators, fifth-ranked in the BCS, likely will play in the Sugar Bowl over the loser of the Southeastern Conference title game. No. 2 Alabama plays No. 3 Georgia for the SEC title Saturday, with the winner advancing to the BCS title game in Miami and the loser probably landing in the Capital One Bowl in Orlando."

""Well, I can switch and go to Atlanta if he doesn't want to go to Atlanta and play the Dawgs," Muschamp said Monday. "Be careful what you ask for, Nick."

""It's not really a great scenario," Saban said. "You play your way into the (SEC) championship game, which means you're the best team in your division. ... It doesn't seem quite right, but it is what it is. I don't really know what me commenting about it is going to do to change it. But I don't feel good about it."

I get what Saban is saying, but I have to agree with Muschamp on this one.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
Muschamp is being obtuse. That happens a lot when people respond to issues that Saban discusses.

I don't think Muschamp means anything by it though.

Saban isn't saying that teams must win their division or anything. He's just saying that the loser of the SECCG is being kind of being penalized. That's nothing new though and it seems like Saban wasn't the one who brought it up.

The only way this would be relevant to last year is if LSU lost to UGA and Alabama then got into the BCSCG and LSU did not.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
After last year, Saban's statement was absurd. The GA head coach could say that and get some sympathy. Saban - not so much.

I can's say that I blame Muschamp for his comments.

pluckngrit

Suspended
Nov 2, 2003
muschamp and jimbo are getting a little ballsy with their words imo. florida might be the computers darlings but they ain't all that. good defense, but i'd like to see what their offense does when the run is shut down.

funny what a little success can do to their ego's.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The only way this would be relevant to last year is if LSU lost to UGA and Alabama then got into the BCSCG and LSU did not.
No, it is relevant because GA lost to LSU in the SECCG and was left out of a BCS bowl for Alabama.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Florida didn't beat UGA. They didn't make the SEC title game. This is not the same thing for us as last year. This is not apples and oranges, this is an apples and something-besides-fruit argument. If there was no undefeated Notre Dame team, then this may be something worth discussing. If it takes more than a few words to explain something most Americans find the idea easy to demagogue.

Yes, Georgia should have gotten the Sugar Bowl over a Big 10 and ACC team last year. No one would have argued that last year especially not Florida. Florida fans and Muschamp have forgotten the humiliation we have given them the last 3 times we've faced them. Yes, humiliation. We have soundly beaten them 3 times in a row. I don't see why 2012 Bama would not beat 2012 Florida. I'll not respond to this thread once more to help keep it going. Shut case. Please close the thread.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I don't blame Muschamp, but I also don't blame Saban for saying it. By his statement, you can tell he didn't want to comment, but got baited into it.

For all we know, he is sending a message to his team, by purpose or not. Either win the game and get in the National Championship...or lose and end up back in Atlanta against the ACC in the Chickfila bowl. You (the team) make the choice....

J4Bama

All-American
Mar 24, 2002
Sarasota, Florida
Florida didn't beat UGA. They didn't make the SEC title game. This is not the same thing for us as last year. This is not apples and oranges, this is an apples and something-besides-fruit argument. If there was no undefeated Notre Dame team, then this may be something worth discussing. If it takes more than a few words to explain something most Americans find the idea easy to demagogue.

Yes, Georgia should have gotten the Sugar Bowl over a Big 10 and ACC team last year. No one would have argued that last year especially not Florida. Florida fans and Muschamp have forgotten the humiliation we have given them the last 3 times we've faced them. Yes, humiliation. We have soundly beaten them 3 times in a row. I don't see why 2012 Bama would not beat 2012 Florida. I'll not respond to this thread once more to help keep it going. Shut case. Please close the thread.
So, because you don't agree with an article that is on ESPN we
should close this thread?

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
The rest of the college football world is eating this up but I think they missed the point. This isn't about last year and winning your division to get into the BCS. This is about the fact that only 2 teams can get into the BCS from one conference.

kayakerjess

All-American
Sep 9, 2005
Colorado
I think the discussion is an extension of the argument about whether or not a loss in the conference championship game should "count" when deciding the bowl games and/or BCS standings.

Last year, UCLA was 6-6 and played in the PAC12 championship game because USC was banned. UCLA lost, leaving them at 6-7 and forcing them to miss the bowl season, even though they would have gone to a bowl at 6-6 had USC not been on probation.

Georgia Tech is in the same situation this year playing in the ACC championship game because both UNC and Miami are not eligible.

This is a similar situation where either UGA or Bama will get penalized for playing in the SECCG rather than being rewarded for making it there in the first place.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
2011 UGA already had 2 losses coming into the SECCG, so they weren't hurt by playing and losing in the SECCG.

2011 Alabama would have been in a better bowl than UGA even if UGA hadn't played in the SECCG.
That was not what Saban suggested - read his statement again.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think the discussion is an extension of the argument about whether or not a loss in the conference championship game should "count" when deciding the bowl games and/or BCS standings.

Last year, UCLA was 6-6 and played in the PAC12 championship game because USC was banned. UCLA lost, leaving them at 6-7 and forcing them to miss the bowl season, even though they would have gone to a bowl at 6-6 had USC not been on probation.

Georgia Tech is in the same situation this year playing in the ACC championship game because both UNC and Miami are not eligible.

This is a similar situation where either UGA or Bama will get penalized for playing in the SECCG rather than being rewarded for making it there in the first place.
If this is what Saban meant, few would argue.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
The rest of the college football world is eating this up but I think they missed the point. This isn't about last year and winning your division to get into the BCS. This is about the fact that only 2 teams can get into the BCS from one conference.

I agree, this is where I think he is coming from. This is an unusual year where numerous teams from the top 10 will be left out. Then you have a team like Kent State that will go to a BCS bowl. I don't think he feels Florida shouldn't be in the Sugar Bowl....but that the loser of the SECCG should not have to go to Atlanta for a bowl game.

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
The SECCG is about revenue. Due to the pursuit of additional revenue, Alabama or Georgia will play themselves out of a BCS bowl, while Florida sits at home.

This is problematic this year due to UA,UGA, and UF all being 1-loss teams and running #2-4 in the BCS. I see no hypocrisy from Saban or dissrepect toward Florida either. It is what it is.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
This is a master stroke from the psychology king. Now nobody is talking about invincible Alabama but focusing instead on the coach. Somewhere out there, Coach Bryant is smiling his approval.

Alajambama

2nd Team
Jul 25, 2012
Fyffe, AL
I guess I'm just reading this differently, but I think Coach Saban is saying the loser of SECCG should automatically go to the Sugar Bowl if the winner goes to the BCSCG. I have to agree with him. If Bama wins on Saturday that should send UGA to New Orleans and Bama should go if UGA wins.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.