Page 1 of 12 1234567811 ... LastLast

ND Fan here with thoughts

I'm hopeful you all beat Georgia, because I think Alabama and Notre Dame are worthy of the history of that game and as opponents of each other considering the history of the two programs.

I think Alabama would be favored (rightfully so) but slightly. My reasoning is the same as Pat Fordes, here:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--...Z3ZtNeencp1LYF

Frankly, I've been watching ND for 38 years and I've never personally witnessed a defense like this before (this includes the stellar '80 and 88' defenses). I also think it ranks right up there with Saban's best Alabama defenses. I think this is one of the best defenses in all of college football over the the past five seasons. The stats bear that out.

Interested on why so many SEC fans in general think the game with ND would be a walk over blowout? I think if Alabama wins it's like to be a low scoring game and a 3-10 point win max (which in context of this defense I guess is alot)

Thoughts?

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American PacadermaTideUs's Avatar
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

Re: ND Fan here with thoughts

My thoughts... I agree that ND has a very good defense, maybe the second best defense in the country - right up there with Bama's. But the difference between the two teams' strengths isn't on defense. It's offense. ND scores 26.8 ppg against FBS foes, only 9.7% more than its opponents allow. Bama scores 38.1 ppg, 39.9% more than its opponents allow.

I agree that this is a dream NCG. But if we're fortunate enough to meet in January, Bama's D will take Golson's lunch money, and Riddick/Wood will be lucky to get 80yds combined. Won't be a good day for the Bama offense either, but we have more tools/options than ND and should be able to generate a tad more production.

My prediction: 17-7 Bama.

Welcome to the board. Make sure you read the FAQ/rules. Congrats on your great season.

Suspended
    My Mood
    Shocked on TideFans.com

ND's defense is not even close to the 2011 BAMA and LSU defense...much less 2012. I guess I'm a homer. Good luck against the SEC in Miami...

BamaNation All-American RammerJammer14's Avatar
    My Mood
    Woot on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Dome View Post
    Interested on why so many SEC fans in general think the game with ND would be a walk over blowout?
    To answer this question, I will point to your most recent game where you had to settle for 5 field goals, most in the redzone (and missed a few too) against the 62nd ranked defense in the country (counting the 22 points the "held" ND to). That is pretty much the perception of your team in a microcosm. You can play defense this year, but forgot how to play offense. In a game with great defenses, I will take the team with the better offense AND defense all day. Your image is also not helped by going to triple overtime with the likes of Pittsburgh, just sayin. Anyways, basically the belief is that there is a pretty good chance that our offense will score more points on your defense than they are used to giving up while your offense will continue to kick field goals if they sniff the redzone at all.

All that said, I think ya'll have a pretty good team this year, they don't resemble the ND of the past 5 years at all (I was surprised). I really look forward to this matchup because we have never played ND in my lifetime. I hope we get past Georgia so you can stick around the board.
    -Why's it us Sergeant? Why us?
    -Because we're here lad. Nobody else. Just us.

-"I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
    -"So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

BamaNation First Team
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

who has nd played again?

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    Inspired on TideFans.com

First of all, welcome to Tidefans.

Second, I do not think Notre Dame's defense comes anywhere near Alabama's defense last year. That defense was the best in the past 20 years at least.

I also do not buy the premise that Notre Dame has had a tough schedule, despite Forde's attempt to prove it so. I don't respect the ACC or Big Ten at all these days. And those two conferences make up the bulk of Notre Dame's schedule. Then you have Navy who is way down from where they were a few years ago, USC who is average at best due to Kiffin/probation and was playing with a freshman QB making his first start, BYU who is tough but not that talented, and finally Oklahoma. The Oklahoma win was impressive, no doubt. But Big 12 teams have forgotten defense, and their offenses are finesse.

Now having said all that, Notre Dame has done a nice job rebuilding under Brian Kelly and they've done everything required of them this year and they've earned their spot in the NC game. But they're not ready for the SEC. Stranger things have happened, but I see Notre Dame in the same mold as Ohio State a few years ago against Florida and LSU. We'll see.

Suspended
    My Mood
    Shocked on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by ohiotide14 View Post
    who has nd played again?
    Stanford. That's about it.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTide13 View Post
    ND's defense is not even close to the 2011 BAMA and LSU defense...much less 2012. I guess I'm a homer. Good luck against the SEC in Miami...
    ^^^ This ^^^

ND has a solid defense, but last year's Alabama defense was something special. Nothing this year's Alabama team, much less ND's team, has done puts them in the same zip code.

BamaNation All-American Matt0424's Avatar

The ND defense has been great so far, but so was Texas in 2009.. They were the number one rush defense in the nation. The problem is, they hadn't faced anyone with the team strength/speed of an SEC school. I think the same will apply with ND. I think the Alabama offense will over power the ND defense, and the Alabama defense with a month to plan would have no problem shutting down the ND offense...

I'm more worried about getting out of the SECCG then the BCSNCG. If you guys play UGA, you could beat them...Richt will find a way to give you plenty of opportunity.

Suspended
    My Mood
    Shocked on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Matt0424 View Post
    The ND defense has been great so far, but so was Texas in 2009.. They were the number one rush defense in the nation. The problem is, they hadn't faced anyone with the team strength/speed of an SEC school. I think the same will apply with ND. I think the Alabama offense will over power the ND defense, and the Alabama defense with a month to plan would have no problem shutting down the ND offense...

I'm more worried about getting out of the SECCG then the BCSNCG. If you guys play UGA, you could beat them...Richt will find a way to give you plenty of opportunity.
    Agreed

BamaNation First Team
    My Mood

navy purdue miami byu pitt bc wake..cupcake central

BamaNation First Team Stonewall1959's Avatar
    My Mood

Would love to see Alabama and Notre Dame in the NC. Two of the most storied programs in the history of college football knocking heads again would be great.

No, though, I don't think this years ND defense is anywhere near as good as Alabama's (or LSU's) last year. I'd say that it is on par with this year's Alabama D.

Just FYI, the early line on an Alabama - ND championship game is Bama by 10.

Welcome to the board. Enjoy your stay here.

BamaNation Hall of Fame lafella's Avatar

I think you guys have a very good defense best in the last 5 seasons? Not even close. It is definitely one of the best defenses this year behind Florida, Georgia, Alabama and Lsu.

That goal line stand was great for sure. Your offense leaves a lot to be desired which is why whoever plays you from the SEC will be favored. The D will be as good if not better than Notre Dame as will the offense. It will not be a high scoring affair though 21-3 or 21-7 .

I would love to see a Alabama vs Notre Dame NCG.
    Last edited by lafella; November 27th, 2012 at 08:41 PM.
    Hey Daddy why doesn't Auburn have a number beside their name? 5 year old son during the iron bowl.