Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast
    My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

Re: ND Fan here with thoughts

I could poke a bit more fun and remind people that a Brian Kelly undefeated team did play a one loss SEC team in a BCS bowl before...

But, in all fairness he didn't actually coach that game. Still, 51-24 was a pretty big blowout.

I also have to say this. I am amazed that Notre Dame is undefeated. I expected this schedule to chew them up and spit them out. Now, Michigan, Michigan St., Oklahoma, USC... all not as good as advertised. They caught a lot of good programs having mediocre years, but the point remains that they played a lot of teams that take football seriously. It might not quite be an SEC schedule, but it wasn't far behind either.

The comparison to the 1992 Alabama team someone made did hit on something. Both teams had great defenses and unimpressive looking offenses. Both programs had been through a period of playing below their typical expectations. Both were mocked a bit... I'm not saying they are as good as 1992 Alabama, but I'm saying they are a dangerous team.

I think Notre Dame is a better match-up than Oregon would have been. I'm really hoping Alabama gets to play them. But, honestly I'd consider Alabama at about a 50% chance of winning it all at this point. They have to get through Georgia, and stay healthy enough to beat a physical Notre Dame team. That is a tall order, but I for one am just glad they have that chance.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Scout Team

I joined this Board today to learn more about Alabama from the fanbase that likely knows them the best. I am a Notre Dame alum and fan. I am sincerely only interested in having balanced and intelligent/respectful discussions with you fans about our respective teams. You will note, I did not sign on to any Georgia board because I am confident that your team will be ND's opponent in the BCSNCG. Roll Tide this weekend and then our teams can meet on January 7th

BamaNation All-American BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WilhelmDND80 View Post
    I joined this Board today to learn more about Alabama from the fanbase that likely knows them the best. I am a Notre Dame alum and fan. I am sincerely only interested in having balanced and intelligent/respectful discussions with you fans about our respective teams. You will note, I did not sign on to any Georgia board because I am confident that your team will be ND's opponent in the BCSNCG. Roll Tide this weekend and then our teams can meet on January 7th
    Welcome to TideFans! We appreciate the confidence you have in us beating Georgia. Hope we don't disappoint you!

I think I speak for the entire Bama Nation when I say we are in love with the possibility of a Bama/ND Championship game.

BamaNation Scout Team

Thank you for the welcome. I will be watching on Saturday and will likely have many things to discuss in the coming weeks.
    Best,
    W

BamaNation Scout Team

Hello! I am a Notre Dame fan. I read a lot of forums from other fans, but I hardly ever post. First all, this is a GREAT thread and I am VERY impressed by the quality of the discussion and debate. Too often other fanbases (ours included) can't seem to hold an intelligent discussion while sharing opinions, information and occassional ribbing. Congrats Tide fans on a great thread with some very good responses.

I definitely agree that the Irish have been lucky this year, but as some have pointed out - luck is often needed for an undefeated season. There are two parts of the post below that I wanted to address.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnwants#15 View Post
    Please,,,,,

1. Triple OT to beat Pitt.
    2. ND lost to Stanford,, regardless of what the refs gave them, (they have gotten quite a few strange calls this year) he crossed The goal line, we all saw it.
    3. They barely escaped Michigan.... A team that was completely non-competitive with Bama.

ND is fooling themselves, and any Bama fans that see this as a competitive matchup are just nostalgic or being charitable..
    Specifically, how did the narrative surrounding ND's game with Stanford shift to the fact that ND lost this game except for a bad call by the refs? The situation actually was the Stanford was driving in the OT period to TIE the game. The only thing that Stanford would have WON is the chance to kick an extra point in a torrential downpour and then to try and score in the next overtime period - neither of which were certainties. Please, please, please....at least get the situation correct. You can still argue that ND would have lost in the next overtime period...but Stanford most certianly would not have WON the game with that controversial 4th down play.

Regadring the Pitt game - I agree that the Irish should not have been taken to 3 OTs with the Panthers. However, once again, if you argue that ND was lucky that Pitt missed the field goal that could have ended the game...they were just as UNLUCKY the Cierre Wood fumbled the ball going into the endzone...which is actually MORE unlikely than missing a chip shot field goal.

Again - I love the level of discussion on this board, but I'm getting a bit tired of the sportscasters and fans making some of the assertions based on incorrect information.

BamaNation Second Team FriendlyIrish's Avatar

Wow, what did I start bama fans...My bad...

BamaNation Hall of Fame rizolltizide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyIrish View Post
    We're used to it. Don't worry about it.
    RIP Hub

BamaNation First Team RollinTider1335's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

ND Fan here with thoughts

Haha. I love it! I really hope it's us vs ND. Just think of the month long discussion until Jan!

BamaNation All-American

The more the merrier, Irish nation. Please put our web address in your parish bulletins this Sunday.

Notre Dame has a legitimate SEC type defense. HOWEVER, I don't think their defense is a top defense in the SEC. Alabama/LSU/Florida/Georgia (maybe)/USCe have more complete defenses...at best I'd give them number 3 defense in the SEC this year. don't even get me started on the Alabama defenses of 2011 and 2009, LSU 2011, Florida 2009...etc.

Notre Dame, has a legit front 7 though. Legit enough to beat anybody in the country. They don't have the depth or explosive scoring ability to beat an SEC champion IMO. I think the pure balance of Georgia or Alabama is too much for Notre Dame to overcome. Oklahoma and Stanford were great wins...but OU's hurry up and lack of rush attempts hurt them....Stanfords lack of trust in their QB at the time hurt too.

BamaNation First Team Johnwants#15's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zedman View Post
    Hello! I am a Notre Dame fan. I read a lot of forums from other fans, but I hardly ever post. First all, this is a GREAT thread and I am VERY impressed by the quality of the discussion and debate. Too often other fanbases (ours included) can't seem to hold an intelligent discussion while sharing opinions, information and occassional ribbing. Congrats Tide fans on a great thread with some very good responses.

I definitely agree that the Irish have been lucky this year, but as some have pointed out - luck is often needed for an undefeated season. There are two parts of the post below that I wanted to address.

Specifically, how did the narrative surrounding ND's game with Stanford shift to the fact that ND lost this game except for a bad call by the refs? The situation actually was the Stanford was driving in the OT period to TIE the game. The only thing that Stanford would have WON is the chance to kick an extra point in a torrential downpour and then to try and score in the next overtime period - neither of which were certainties. Please, please, please....at least get the situation correct. You can still argue that ND would have lost in the next overtime period...but Stanford most certianly would not have WON the game with that controversial 4th down play.

Regadring the Pitt game - I agree that the Irish should not have been taken to 3 OTs with the Panthers. However, once again, if you argue that ND was lucky that Pitt missed the field goal that could have ended the game...they were just as UNLUCKY the Cierre Wood fumbled the ball going into the endzone...which is actually MORE unlikely than missing a chip shot field goal.

Again - I love the level of discussion on this board, but I'm getting a bit tired of the sportscasters and fans making some of the assertions based on incorrect information.
    I know the situations very well... Stanford had momentum in that game.

And if you can't see that it took a TERRIBILe PI call to get past Pitt,, you need to take those green glasses off..
    I never mentioned the field goal. Because the bad officiating was the biggest issue in deciding that game... And ND should never have needed help if they are a championship caliber team.

I notice you had no comment on the Michigan game, which was a very telling outing in my opinion.
    Tradition-
    "Cherished by those who possess it, Envied by those without it, Scoffed by those who do not comprehend it and Desired by all who understand it." -Me

BamaNation Second Team FriendlyIrish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnwants#15 View Post
    I know the situations very well... Stanford had momentum in that game.

And if you can't see that it took a TERRIBILe PI call to get past Pitt,, you need to take those green glasses off..
    I never mentioned the field goal. Because the bad officiating was the biggest issue in deciding that game... And ND should never have needed help if they are a championship caliber team.

I notice you had no comment on the Michigan game, which was a very telling outing in my opinion.
    Whoa whoa whoa whoa ... Now I'm willing to give and say the PI call was lucky. I'm willing to say the missed call was lucky. But I think its really unfair to equate those calls with us not being a championship caliber team. It is a slippery slope and not does not correlate.

We are the only undefeated team. I could say that with your one loss, you are not a championship caliber team. I could say with Georgia's one loss, or LSU's two losses, they are not championsihp caliber teams. That is obviously not true. I think all of those teams are championship caliber teams. The fact is they have lost.

Oregon is a championship caliber team (and most of you, as well as I, would be frightened to play Oregon in the NCG). Yet, they have one loss. I'd go as far and say Stanford is a championship caliber team (if you can run the football and play D, you can get there). Yet, they have 2 losses.

We got lucky on two calls. Did it determine whether or not we made it to the NCG? Maybe. Yet we fought and clawed our way back in the game and came out on top. I'm not justifying the close game, but I am saying we know how to fight back against an opponent. Again, I think its unfair to equate a lucky call in a game to say we are not a championship caliber team. Our stat sheets show as much.

Whoa whoa whoa whoa ... Now I'm willing to give and say the PI call was lucky. I'm willing to say the missed call was lucky. But I think its really unfair to equate those calls with us not being a championship caliber team. It is a slippery slope and not does not correlate.

We are the only undefeated team. I could say that with your one loss, you are not a championship caliber team. I could say with Georgia's one loss, or LSU's two losses, they are not championsihp caliber teams. That is obviously not true. I think all of those teams are championship caliber teams. The fact is they have lost.

Oregon is a championship caliber team (and most of you, as well as I, would be frightened to play Oregon in the NCG). Yet, they have one loss. I'd go as far and say Stanford is a championship caliber team (if you can run the football and play D, you can get there). Yet, they have 2 losses.

We got lucky on two calls. Did it determine whether or not we made it to the NCG? Maybe. Yet we fought and clawed our way back in the game and came out on top. I'm not justifying the close game, but I am saying we know how to fight back against an opponent. Again, I think its unfair to equate a lucky call in a game to say we are not a championship caliber team. Our stat sheets show as much.
    I don't have a problem with this. All undefeated seasons have a certain amount of luck and that goes to calls, injuries and to the funny bounces the pointy ball takes. I know we'll have umpteen of these "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin" arguments between now and January, but that's the date that really determines which arguments win - and that's whether you play us or UGA. The only thing I can't abide are the whines about injuries during championship games. I've heard "if Colt hadn't got hurt" until I just suffered a slight barflet even now, thinking about them and that abominable fan base...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus