Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    BamaNation All-American AlexanderFan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Talkative on TideFans.com

Re: ND Fan here with thoughts

Welcome to the board. Hang out a while, football talk is everywhere around here.

ND doesn't get much respect down here because of your perceived struggles with lesser opponents. You guys have had the luck ( every champion needs it in some form or fashion) and at the end of the day you guys have scored more than your opponent every game. It will be an intriguing matchup, regardless of who wins the SEC game.

How quickly most forget the 1992 team that wasn't exactly an offensive juggernaut.

From my phone with Tapatalk
    "It's not luck, it's random bursts of talent." - Gage Robinson

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team Stonewall1959's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Festive on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by ohiotide14 View Post
    navy purdue miami byu pitt bc wake..cupcake central
    Can we really go there with Western Kentucky, Florida Atlantic, Missouri, and Western Carolina on our schedule? Can also throw in Auburn in that bunch.

BamaNation Second Team Tides_of_Change's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Although I would take an exception behind the subjectivity with which Mr. Forde came to his conclusions on who had the most impressive win of each team's games in some instances, I appreciate the premise. I'm unsure of what I think of him using the current rankings of teams rather than the rankings the time the teams played.
    It's not arguable that the bottom parts of Alabama's and Georgia's schedules are noticeably lighter by name especially, but the ways in which teams in conferences scurry to schedule is a little more challenging than Notre Dame's privileged position. That's not an excuse; it's just an observation.

The following fact, however, would pretty much take Mr. Forde's article back to a clean slate:

Best opponent played: Alabama visited Georgia (third) on a "neutral site", Georgia hosted Alabama on a "neutral site" and Notre Dame hosted Stanford (eighth) and won in double overtime. Most impressive of the three: Either Alabama or Georgia....

Worst opponent played: Alabama hosted Western Carolina (204th) and won by 49. Georgia hosted Buffalo (135th) and won by 22. Notre Dame hosted the CBS network (5,894th) this upcoming Saturday in comfortable clothes on comfortable couches. Most impressive of the three: Georgia, by a slim margin.

That's a very good and needed adjustment to that article.

Please don't take this too seriously, although I stand behind the rationale. Welcome to the board! When our regular season is finally over, please feel welcome to bring good discussion in the time leading up to our game (provided we're victorious Saturday.)

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Welcome to TF.

ND's defense is ranked:
    5th in rushing defense
    22nd in passing defense
    6th in total defense
    2nd in scoring defense
    12th in pass efficiency defense

That's a good defense, but even this year's Alabama defense, which most consider 'mediocre' in Saban's tenure at Bama, ranks #2, #2, #1, #1 and #5, respectively.

Hopefully we'll see you guys in January.
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. ©2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Stonewall1959 View Post
    Can we really go there with Western Kentucky, Florida Atlantic, Missouri, and Western Carolina on our schedule? Can also throw in Auburn in that bunch.
    http://www.teamrankings.com/college-...hedule-by-team
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. ©2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

ND Fan here with thoughts

Been waiting for Notre Dame/BAMA for a long time. That's all I'll say until we handle business.

But no defense in the history of defenses compares to 2011. None!!
    Last edited by JBama_in_PCOLA; November 27th, 2012 at 07:55 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMom2Boys's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Amused on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post

Interesting to see Georgia down there with ND with rank.
    Roll Tide

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideFan in AU's Avatar
    Almost close enough to the pasture to smell it!
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Welcome to the board, Dr Dome. Congrats on a great season - and don't tell anybody I said this - but its nice to see ND back amongst the elite in CFB! I also hope to be able to play you guys for the NC. This will be a very historic matchup of two the greatest programs of all time. I think ND will be a tough game, but I feel condfident of a win based off of the games I've seen your team play this year. Your team reminds me of our 2008 team - very good, but not quite there yet.

As far as the defensive comparison, I do think ND has a very good defense. I think your defense would make a lot of plays and keep it a close game. I see your defense giving us trouble, but I think we will be by far the best overall team you've faced. Your defense hasn't faced an O line anywhere near what our's is this year, and none the RB's have been as good as our's. I think we have the best offense and defense you'll face this year if we beat UGA. OU is the only team on your schedule that an argument could be made for that is statistically better than us, but they are nowhere near as physical. That's not meant to be arrogant or conceited - that's just what numbers say, and its what I truly believe.

Now, as far as being compared to say our defense last year, its not even in that category statistically. Your defense is giving up over 50 yards per game more than our defense this year, and but our defense last year held opponents to over 100 yards less per game than your defense does this year. Our defense this year is currently ranked #1 in total defense, and it a little below average compared to our 2011 and 2009 defense. Our 2011 defense is one of the best in CFB history, and our defense this nor your defense this year is anywhere near that level. That team gave up 183 yards per game, 7 points a game, and had 3 first rounders, 1 second rounder that came out last year, and 2 or 3 more possible 1st rounders that will come out this year. That defense was just plain nasty, and if we had them this year, we wouldn't have even had a close game this year.

With all that being said, I respect ND as a worthy opponent and there's a reason they play the game. I also respect CBK as a great coach, and I know he'll have your team ready to play. I believe if we get the chance to play you guys in the BCSNCG, it will be an epic battle of two very good teams. If we get there, may the best team win. Feel free to stick - we welcome rivals that like a good discussion on our favorite subject!
    “And the roses in this grand ol’ stadium are once again Crimson!” - Eli Gold, Jan 7th, 2010

Alabama wasn’t just dominating Monday night. They were some word that has yet to be invented in the English language. - Aaron Torres, Jan 10th, 2012

"If this was a prize fight, they'd call it off!" - Brent Musberger, Jan 7th, 2013

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Stonewall1959 View Post
    to this id gladly say lets switch schedules with nd and see where they land up....

BamaNation First Team Bear Disciple's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I don't feel the need for me to bring my opinions in on the potential National Championship Game matchup between Alabama and Notre Dame, but I will say that after reading Forde's article regarding the most impressive wins by comparison, I am unsure as to why he gets paid to write and it is not the other way around. Personal bias aside, each one of his picks, especially from 4 through 12 is extremely subjective and at times baffling. The least he could do is explain his reasonings, but I fear for his sake that may have been rather difficult considering the decisions he made at times. No wonder I stopped reading his stuff long ago...

Post Thanks / Like

You ND fans keep reading, and believing, all the articles you can find proclaiming how great you are and why the rest of college football should fear playing you guys. For me, it's as simple as this: until you go out and beat an SEC team, I'm going to remain skeptical.
    Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

BamaNation First Team Stonewall1959's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Festive on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post

http://www.sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm

Bama #39 - ND #30

Guess it just depends on where you look.

However, according to Sagarin, PRIOR to the season Bama's SOS was #15 and ND's was #25. Really not Bama's fault that some of the teams that were predicted (Michigan and Auburn, for example) to have good seasons didn't pan out. Can't forget, either, that Bama was slated to play Georgia in the regular season before the addition of A&M and Mizzou made the conference reshuffle the schedule.

Right now I just want to beat the bulldogs into a greasy puddle and then worry about the golden domers.

BamaNation All-American OreBama's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Disciple View Post
    I don't feel the need for me to bring my opinions in on the potential National Championship Game matchup between Alabama and Notre Dame, but I will say that after reading Forde's article regarding the most impressive wins by comparison, I am unsure as to why he gets paid to write and it is not the other way around. Personal bias aside, each one of his picks, especially from 4 through 12 is extremely subjective and at times baffling. The least he could do is explain his reasonings, but I fear for his sake that may have been rather difficult considering the decisions he made at times. No wonder I stopped reading his stuff long ago...
    You got that right, BD. Forde is a Saban-hater and Alabama-hater even before the two were united. I don't expect universal acclaim, but I do expect fairness or at the least good-natured jibes. Therefore, I haven't read his articles in some time and won't read the one in the OP.
    Pronounced as or-e-bama not Obama.

Or Chris, if you prefer.