Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Re: ND Fan here with thoughts

Welcome to the board! We're happy to have you...so long as you come in peace ;-)

I would love to play for another crystal ball this year, period. But I would also love to play y'all for it. Bama hasn't played Notre Dame in my lifetime and it would be great to finally see it, especially with such high stakes.

You are going to get a shiny new Heisman for Christmas. I'm pretty sure of that. But I feel that your schedule this year has put your team in a position that they're not quite ready to be in. You're good, which is how you've won all your games. But you're not great yet, which is how you almost lost so many of your games. I just don't see you guys being able to produce enough on offense to make up for how much you won't be able to stop us from producing on offense. I might be wrong. We shall see.

Regardless of the outcome, if we meet in Miami, it'll be pretty electric.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team Stonewall1959's Avatar
    My Mood
    Festive on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by JBama_in_PCOLA View Post
    Been waiting for Notre Dame/BAMA for a long time. That's all I'll say until we handle business.

But no defense in the history of defenses compares to 2011. None!!

Just for fun, I'm going to throw out this...

at Georgia
    Sep 23, 1961

vs Tulane
    Sep 30, 1961

at Vanderbilt
    Oct 7, 1961

vs North Carolina State
    Oct 14, 1961

vs Tennessee
    Oct 21, 1961

at Houston
    Oct 28, 1961

vs Mississippi State
    Nov 4, 1961

vs Richmond
    Nov 11, 1961

vs Georgia Tech
    Nov 18, 1961

at Auburn
    Dec 2, 1961

1961-62 Sugar Bowl vs Arkansas

Six shutouts is hard to compete with. : )

Roll Tide.

How would the Irish do playing our schedule this year? My guess 10-2 at best. If they played the Gators schedule I think they'd be 8-4.

Does anyone think we wouldn't be 12-0 with their schedule along with Georgia, LSU, Florida, and TAMU?

Man, us Domers are taking over...

Idk about comparing to last years Bama defense, and I'm not willing to go there. But I will say that comparing how many yards our D gives up is pretty deceiving. For most of the year, we have relied on our red zone D to win games. We suffered 3 injures to starters in secondary, and we are young back there. Thus, we were bend don't break, especially against Oklahoma/Michigan, and were willing to give up the chunk yards and stuff in our territory. It worked, seeing has how we are #2 in scoring defense (we were tied with you, until the Auburn blowout).

On offensive yards, I think its pretty deceiving as well. One would think that we would have high offensive y/p/g b/c our D gives up big yards in the middle, but we don't. Actually we are ranked 43, while you are 39, and its pretty much tied if you look at rush + pass yards. However, we have controlled possession against every team we have played. ND is ranked 12 in time of possession this year, Bama is 26. I know that we have a certain amount of scores with over 5 minute drives and its number one or two in FBS. I can't find the exact stat, but I'm almost positive it exists.

Takeaway is that our style of play has been to give up yards in the middle, lock down D in our territory, and have long drives that eat clock and control the game. Against a bama D, it might not be as possible. We did it against Stanford (19 in total D), MSU (4 in total D), BYU (2nd in total D), and nearly every other team we played.

Again, glad to be on the board. Hopefully 'bama takes care of business this weekend and we can have an epic battle in 43 days.

Should have added "welcome" to Domer. You and Irish will enjoy the friendly banter.

And I agree that it is good to have the Irish in the NC talk again. We need some one to hate on other than other SEC teams.

Bama could've easily had 6 shutouts this year. I'm glad our 2s & 3s got some game experience though.

BamaNation Second Team

Frankly, I've been watching ND for 38 years and I've never personally witnessed a defense like this before (this includes the stellar '80 and 88' defenses). I also think it ranks right up there with Saban's best Alabama defenses. I think this is one of the best defenses in all of college football over the the past five seasons. The stats bear that out.

Thoughts?
    You must have not watched Alabama play laster year. Notre Dame's defense is not the best this year, much less the previous 5 years...... I would venture to say that BAMA's 2011 defense was possibly the best of ALL-TIME. The stats below don't lie:

BAMA 2011 Defensive Stats (1st column nat'l rank, 2nd SEC rank):
    No code has to be inserted here.

2012 Defensive Statistics:
    No code has to be inserted here.
    Last edited by crimsonaudio; November 27th, 2012 at 10:16 PM. Reason: formatting

Bradley - looks like you're trying to insert HTML - won't work....
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. 2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I think Notre Dame has as fine of a defensive unit as you can hope for in a college team. I don't know if they're better than last year's Alabama or LSU units. In my opinion, Florida has the top to bottom best defensive unit in the nation this season but any team with a top 5-10 defense is good enough to go to battle.

Notre Dame is in the national title because their offense made huge leaps throughout the season. Their run game came along last year but the QB play was atrocious. Rees did well when injuries to Golson forced him into action but the real difference is that Golson has finally put it together good enough to manage the offense. They're not an ineffective offensive unit anymore...I don't know if they're as good as Alabama or Georgia on offense but if their defense holds UGA/UA in check, they've proven they will make plays in the fourth quarter.

I feel like they're kinda like our 2008 team...they're walking a tightrope that could get exploited when they finally play a team with a coherent offensive and defensive gameplan. They caught Stanford with Nunes still at QB, we know that Denard isn't all that great for Michigan, and the only team with offensive firepower across the board got their QB hurt the week before playing Notre Dame. I don't know if ND would beat each Hogan-led Stanford, Gardner-led Michigan, and Barkley-led USC given their offensive output in each of those games.

I know Alabama missed out on some offenses' best shot at QB too this year, but Alabama didn't let any of those game be close either. My point is that their defense can keep games in winning distance for their offense...the offense has gotten better but it would probably take something like the BCSCG performance last year by Bama's D when you have a top SEC defense playing against their offense.
    Last edited by rgw; November 27th, 2012 at 10:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    Notre Dame is in the national title because their offense made huge leaps throughout the season. Their run game came along last year but the QB play was atrocious. Rees did well when injuries to Golson forced him into action but the real difference is that Golson has finally put it together good enough to manage the offense. They're not an ineffective offensive unit anymore...I don't know if they're as good as Alabama or Georgia on offense but if their defense holds UGA/UA in check, they've proven they will make plays in the fourth quarter.

I feel like they're kinda like our 2008 team...they're walking a tightrope that could get exploited when they finally play a team with a coherent offensive and defensive gameplan. They caught Stanford with Nunes still at QB, we know that Denard isn't all that great for Michigan, and the only team with offensive firepower across the board got their QB hurt the week before playing Notre Dame. I don't know if ND would beat each Hogan-led Stanford, Gardner-led Michigan, and Barkley-led USC given their offensive output in each of those games.
    I will say we caught a break against U$C with Wittek. Couldn't believe that the pieces fell into place like that for us. With Barkeley, it's a different game.

I can promise you, and would bet my entire college debt on this, that we would NOT lose to scUM with Gardner at the helm. We went through 3 years of absolute hell against them. If you have seen the stadium pictures from that game with the lei's, you would know it was a very magical night that we would not have let slip away. This is coming from a recent Michigan grad... don't get me started on that story

The counter-argument to our lucky breaks with QB's is that we played Rees the second half of the UM game, and Golson was still getting pulled every other play against Stanford. But it's cool that you are aware our offense is starting to click on all cylinders, as many who don't watch every game wouldn't notice the progression of Golson throughout the year.

The wild card play that 'Bama has (among others, I'm sure) is that they have played in this game with the time off. I don't know how ND will handle that. My Tigers didn't handle it too well and I'm still hung over from that nonsense. Assuming you get through UGA, it will be interesting to see how that plays out for us.
    Last edited by FriendlyIrish; November 27th, 2012 at 10:51 PM.

To the OP, congrats on a great season, y'all won every game and have a good defense, i really hope to see a ND Vs Bama match-up, i was pulling for ND to beat USC.

One thing ill kinda knock y'all for is the Irish had more than a few close call this year, sometimes against unranked teams too.

Bama absolutely stomped a mud hole in everybody except LSU on the road and A&M, both top ten teams.

But, you found a way to win and thats what really matters.

This would be a great game with plenty of hype, more than usual with such storied programs involved.
    TV ratings through the roof, just hope to get past UGA and make it happen.
    Last edited by CRMSNtide; November 28th, 2012 at 12:59 PM.

Be careful of what you wish for ! rtr...

BamaNation All-SEC

First of all, I don't think it would be a blowout. Lets not let some idiot media person (whose job is to cause an uproar) speak for all Alabama fans. I think your claim that ND has one of the best overall defenses in all of college football over the past 5 years is absurd!! It is only the 6th best defense this year, so how you can claim it is one of the best all time over the past 5 years is delusional.
    Secondly, ND has not played an easy schedule. They deserve credit for going undefeated. Kelly is a good coach. However, every decent offense (some bad offenses) has moved the ball on your acclaimed great defense. When teams miss easy field goals, drop easy passes, and throw interceptions directly to you, you can't claim that is good defense.
    I think we all know Pat Forde is a ND homer of some sorts much like Lou Holtz.
    Everett Golson has improved tremendously from the beginning of the season, but he has not seen a defense like an SEC defense yet. We are faster than Mich St. and more disciplined than Stanford. When we hit, he knows it! He isn't as quick and elusive as a Manziel and won't stand strong in the pocket like Mettenberger.
    Lets just wait and see.