Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: ND Fan here with thoughts

Notre Dame has a great schedule resume this year. Some of their opponents fell off a bit but they could have two conference champions on their schedule if the chips fall right this week for OU and Stanford...two quality power conference champions to boot (2nd and 3rd only to the SEC). Regardless, they beat a top 3-ish team in the Pac-12, Big-12, and Big Ten in one year.

Think of it this way: they had 4 gimme games scheduled - just like most teams in a conference - and they were all quality independents or lower-tier ACC teams (Navy, BYU, Wake Forest, and Boston College). Pitt, Michigan State, and Miami fell short of expectations but that slate is about the same as us playing Tennessee, Ole Miss, Arkansas, and Mizzou in-conference.

Their schedule top to bottom is stronger than our schedule or any team other than Florida in the SEC because they didn't schedule a single mid-major. Navy is consistently the toughest Service Academy - they've beaten ND a bit over the last few years - and BYU is a team that won a national title and competed at the top level well recently too. Wake and BC are bad but they're a tougher out than scheduling FAU or WCU just by pure talent on the field.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team im4uainva's Avatar
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

I would like to add this to the conversation...as far as Bama's defensive stats are concerned, 10 of the 12 games Bama played were impressive victories. So much so, that most of the final quarters, or halves, were being played by Bama's back-ups. (Those two games where Bama's first string defenses were still playing, Bama beat LSWho and had the opportunity to best ATM.) So, therefore, Bama's published stats are not totally indicative of how good they could legitimately claim.

That being said, take care of business in Atlanta, and then Bama shall eagerly await the opportunity to atone for some heartbreaking losses at the hands of the team from South Bend.

Roll Tsunami, Roll!

I think a lot of us kept awaiting the shoe to drop on ND throughout the season. But the team continued to improve, were very well coached and beat everyone on their schedule. Did good fortune smile on them when they played Pitt, USC, and Stanford? Sure. But they are undefeated and if we are fortunate enough to get past Georgia, I think that the Irish will be a very formidable opponent come January.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    The way Notre Dame is playing right now, you'd almost want to keep on playing instead of taking a month off. On one hand, you mend the bruises and get some time on the fundamentals. On the other, Notre Dame has an impressive energy going right now...they seem almost charmed. It's hard to recapture those intangibles after a month off. LSU was a high-energy team all of last season but they were flat in the title game. They would have definitely been better off playing the title game right after the SECCG when everything was clicking.
    That would be a big concern of mine if I'm the Irish.

On the other hand, with the exception of the Sugar in '08 (when we did have anything but pride on the line), we have never gone into a post season game not looking stronger and more fundamentally sound than we did in the regular season.

BamaNation All-American

What Notre Dame does, they do very well. Though not fleet, they play fast. Though not flashy, they attack on both sides of the ball.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

People forget that by trade Brian Kelly is an offensive coach. He's put an emphasis on defense since arriving in South Bend but he inherited a good deal of raw talent and put a lot of trust in his defensive staff to get them there. Bob Diaco seems like an up-and-comer in the vein of Kirby Smart. If his defense can keep teams from running away from them, he's shown that he can scheme up a good possession down the stretch.

The biggest thing I see is that they flex their TE out wide like we have done on occasion but they actually attack the corners with their pass-catching TE with fades and other throws where he can body the guy out of the play. UGA or Bama has to be ready for that...

BamaNation First Team Johnwants#15's Avatar

Please,,,,,

1. Triple OT to beat Pitt.
    2. ND lost to Stanford,, regardless of what the refs gave them, (they have gotten quite a few strange calls this year) he crossed The goal line, we all saw it.
    3. They barely escaped Michigan.... A team that was completely non-competitive with Bama.

ND is fooling themselves, and any Bama fans that see this as a competitive matchup are just nostalgic or being charitable..
    Tradition-
    "Cherished by those who possess it, Envied by those without it, Scoffed by those who do not comprehend it and Desired by all who understand it." -Me

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

I get what some are saying about ND's schedule. I've seen the Sagrin ratings. I know who they beat.

The thing about the way they got to where they are and where we hope we'll be Saturday night can't really be measured but is significant.

ND can schedule the way they want to the SEC can't.

Furthermore, while we will be playing one of the best teams in the country this weekend, they'll be reading Pat Forde.

But I still maintain that the biggest difference is the SEC regular season that we face and it is arguable that there is more pressure to win the SEC WEST than it is to do anything else.

ND didn't have to deal with the elite athletes we have to deal with each week (even the middle to lower tier teams in the SEC) and they don't have the pressure of having to win their conference or even their division. ND had pressure ONE week and caught a break by getting to play a weakened USC team.

If we are fortunate enough to meet them in January, how they got there and how we got there will be to our advantage.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

You can't fault Alabama on their schedule. They get assigned 8 conference opponents, 6 they get every year regardless. The motivation for conference-aligned teams is to win the conference title, so again, I can't fault Alabama for scheduling 1 live-body in the OOC portion to prevent wear and tear detrimental to the #1 goal (win the SEC).

Notre Dame still schedules the same 3-4 gimme games but they are a tad more aggressive partly because they only have a national title resume to build and no conference championship to win. Independence seemed stupid when they were scheduling these types of games and going 5-7 or 6-6 or 7-5. Independence seems brilliant win they can go 11-1 or 12-0. They have much more latitude in their scheduling because they can cherry pick cross-sectional matchups to validate their team in the eyes of voters across the nation. A Stanford and USC win brings some West Coast respect; their Big Ten run brings some Midwest respect; their ACC games got them so face time on the East Coast; and their Oklahoma game got some respect out of the Sun Belt.

BamaNation Second Team FriendlyIrish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JIB View Post
    I don't want to sound like a ND basher, but here's my take:

Teo is a good player. Very good. He is not worthy of a Heisman. His stats aren't particularly impressive other than INTs. He should not win the Heisman. His story is exceptional, but his play on the field has not been the kind of transcendent play you'd expect for a defensive guy to win the Heisman. I think Jarvin Jones is a better linebacker and the NFL draft will bear that out.
    I'm not here to debate the heisman, but I think this is interesting:
    Charles Woodson
    - 42 tackles (4 for losses)
    - 1 sack
    - 8 INT's
    - 11 REC/283 Yds/2 TD's
    - 3 Rush/15 YDS/ 1 TD
    - 11-0 Team Record

Manti Teo
    - 103 Tackles (5.5 for losses)
    - 1.5 Sacks
    - 7 INT's
    - 2 Fumble Recoveries, 2 Forced Fumbles
    - 12-0 Team Record

Tie in his amazing story for this season, and he deserves to be #2 in straw polls right now.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Manti Teo is a Brian Urlacher in the the college ranks. He deserves an invite and serious consideration but I think Manziel has been the most outstanding player in college football for this season. He broke an SEC record held previous by Tim Tebow then Cam Newton...two Heisman winners. His performance against Alabama was peerless.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    Inspired on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyIrish View Post
    I'm not here to debate the heisman, but I think this is interesting:
    Charles Woodson
    - 42 tackles (4 for losses)
    - 1 sack
    - 8 INT's
    - 11 REC/283 Yds/2 TD's
    - 3 Rush/15 YDS/ 1 TD
    - 11-0 Team Record

Manti Teo
    - 103 Tackles (5.5 for losses)
    - 1.5 Sacks
    - 7 INT's
    - 2 Fumble Recoveries, 2 Forced Fumbles
    - 12-0 Team Record

Tie in his amazing story for this season, and he deserves to be #2 in straw polls right now.
    He compares very favorably with Woodson, if not better. Trouble is, Woodson should not have won it that year. It pains me to say it because I couldn't stand him, but Peyton Manning deserved it that season. Woodson won it on hype alone. Take a look at Champ Bailey's stats at Georgia a couple of seasons later. He had far superior stats on offense and defense and did not sniff the Heisman.

BamaNation All-American PacadermaTideUs's Avatar
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    You can't fault Alabama on their schedule. They get assigned 8 conference opponents, 6 they get every year regardless. The motivation for conference-aligned teams is to win the conference title, so again, I can't fault Alabama for scheduling 1 live-body in the OOC portion to prevent wear and tear detrimental to the #1 goal (win the SEC).

Notre Dame still schedules the same 3-4 gimme games but they are a tad more aggressive partly because they only have a national title resume to build and no conference championship to win. Independence seemed stupid when they were scheduling these types of games and going 5-7 or 6-6 or 7-5. Independence seems brilliant win they can go 11-1 or 12-0. They have much more latitude in their scheduling because they can cherry pick cross-sectional matchups to validate their team in the eyes of voters across the nation. A Stanford and USC win brings some West Coast respect; their Big Ten run brings some Midwest respect; their ACC games got them so face time on the East Coast; and their Oklahoma game got some respect out of the Sun Belt.
    LOL. This may not have been a joke if you were referring to the geographic region vs the conference. If you were referring to the conference, it's pretty funny, though our Sooner brethren may not agree.